• Aug 20th, 2006 5:07 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i2mfan wrote:Depending on the item, I figure you could return it to [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]ncix[/rfdlink] for example like if you were a regular client. Of course, the client will have a delay. Most of the time, the instore warranty is short term(10-30 days) in most shop and must be shipped to the manufacturer in any case. Dealing with wholesaler might be another case depending on policies.
But say I had a store and I DID buy an item from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] instead of from a distributor because it was actually cheaper, and it required manufacturer's warranty.. would my store's receipt be legit for the manufacturer to accept the receipt to perform the warranty?
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote:But say I had a store and I DID buy an item from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] instead of from a distributor because it was actually cheaper, and it required manufacturer's warranty.. would my store's receipt be legit for the manufacturer to accept the receipt to perform the warranty?
It depends on the manufacturer and whether or not they track serial numbers.

If it was something like a Harmony 880, Logitech has no idea if the remote you sold your customer was from Ingram Micro or [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] or [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink] or whoever.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Drew_W wrote:It depends on the manufacturer and whether or not they track serial numbers.

If it was something like a Harmony 880, Logitech has no idea if the remote you sold your customer was from Ingram Micro or [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] or [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink] or whoever.
Anyone know which manufacturers would keep track of serial numbers? It could be helpful to know that sometimes a store could buy from stores like [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] and resell on small quantity orders :P
Tons of things for sale!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote:Anyone know which manufacturers would keep track of serial numbers? It could be helpful to know that sometimes a store could buy from stores like [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] and resell on small quantity orders :P
I wonder if the profit margin contained therein is at all worth the hassle. [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] isn't significantly cheaper than anything else.
Jun 30, 2006
121 posts
Drew_W wrote:I wonder if the profit margin contained therein is at all worth the hassle. [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] isn't significantly cheaper than anything else.
That's why I got out of it because of low sale and it was a side line. Less hassle for me on few $ profits items. Once, I had to return a monitor and cost me more in shipping(Quebec to Vancouver) than the profit I made for it.

Now, I told friends/familly to buy locally or online(ie [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink]). With the "free shipping" promotion or "$5" shipping, it sometimes worth the wait for them. ;)

I will even put it on my credit card if I they want me to buy the item for them(offline/online) when no surcharge on CC(Big box store). At least, I get 1% cash-back. :cheesygri

Serial numbers tracking could be tricky with manufacturers warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
i2mfan wrote:That's why I got out of it because of low sale and it was a side line. Less hassle for me on few $ profits items. Once, I had to return a monitor and cost me more in shipping(Quebec to Vancouver) than the profit I made for it.

Now, I told friends/familly to buy locally or online(ie [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink]). With the "free shipping" promotion or "$5" shipping, it sometimes worth the wait for them. ;)

I will even put it on my credit card if I they want me to buy the item for them(offline/online) when no surcharge on CC(Big box store). At least, I get 1% cash-back. :cheesygri

Serial numbers tracking could be tricky with manufacturers warranty.

This is exactly it. To many computer parts look "FUN". Good that they are, but you won't make any money - the margins are just too small, and there is far too much competition.

Enterprise networking and storage solutions is where all the money is, and good luck getting into that market.
Mar 2, 2002
300 posts
basscleff wrote:My existing computer parts and systems supplier went out of business after 8 years of great service and prices.
Can anyone recommend a computer parts\systems supplier (wholesaler)
that has good pricing and product lines?

(I'm looking for wholesalers and OEM suppliers, not retailers. Also someone that ships to Barrie area.
(Maybe someone works for one and wants to send me a referral - PM me :)

thx any help is appreciated!
I'm using TechData, ASI, Ingram Micro, Synnex, Eprom et al for purchasing.. They all ship to Barrie, but be prepared to pay on shipping. Tech Data has free shipping on orders over $1000 I think it is..

Are you starting a business or is it an existing one?

**EDIT** Who was your existing supplier? Local to Barrie?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I got out too. Margins simply don't exist. The only way to make money in the hardware business is to be a broker and do large volumes.

As for warranties. Most hard drive manufacturers do not require a receipt. The exception is Samsung. Which is why I tell people to stay away from them.

RAM is the same thing. No receipt required

Monitors are hit and miss. The date codes are on the back. Sometimes they ask and sometimes they don't.

Intel doesn't ask for receipts for motherboards or CPU. Neither does Asus.

I am not sure about video cards as I have never returned one. Everything else is cheap and not worth returning.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i2mfan wrote:Serial numbers tracking could be tricky with manufacturers warranty.
More about serial numbers and manufactuer warranties... So manufacturers will permit warranties if they find that they were bought from distributors such as Ingram Micro or Synnex, regardless of if you were an authorized dealer or not? That would contradict to so many of the PM neglections at BB...

Also.. say [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] buys from Synnex, how would the manufacturer know that I didn't buy from Synnex and actually bought the product via [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] and resold it for profit?
Tons of things for sale!
Jun 30, 2006
121 posts
[QUOTE]Also.. say [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] buys from Synnex, how would the manufacturer know that I didn't buy from Synnex and actually bought the product via [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] and resold it for profit?[/QUOTE]

If the manufacturer track the serial number thru the selling chain where the warranty is good only with an authorized vendor(laptop).

You could check the RMA(Return Marchandise Authorisation) procedure for a manufacturer when/if it's available online. That way, you will see if they ask vendor information. I return a harddrive(maxtor) that gone bad without an invoice.

I suspect it won't be a problem for parts because a computer can be resold by a client who upgraded their stuff. The manufacturer want to sell and offer less hassle to the client if trouble arise. If a client find the procedure too long/complicated, the next time the client might go to the competition. ;)

Note: I have been out of the game for many years now. So, I'm making logical assomptions here.
Jan 23, 2006
69 posts
You won't make any money if you plan on re-selling. I am registered with like 3-4 wholesalers, techdata being one of them. The prices at cc are cheaper than my wholesale costs, nothing but a joke.
Aug 15, 2004
549 posts
12 upvotes
Orillia
thx, I hear you and agree. I don't make money in reselling, however, you can make it in the service you offer.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
daytonarfd wrote:You won't make any money if you plan on re-selling. I am registered with like 3-4 wholesalers, techdata being one of them. The prices at cc are cheaper than my wholesale costs, nothing but a joke.
That's why we're talking about, say, buying from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink], or CC, and reselling it. You'll make more than buying from a distributor this way.
Tons of things for sale!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote:That's why we're talking about, say, buying from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink], or CC, and reselling it. You'll make more than buying from a distributor this way.
Hardly. Really, margins on stuff are microscopic. And if you can buy it from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] or CC, why can't others?
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Drew_W wrote:Hardly. Really, margins on stuff are microscopic. And if you can buy it from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] or CC, why can't others?
They can't approach 100% of the market share, and we could help :)

Lol, just a thought, since a few guys in here were complaining that it's not worth getting stuff from distributors, rather [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] has lower prices, etc. In that case, really, there would be no new computer stores opening up, and only the already-established chains would continue to open new stores.
Tons of things for sale!
Aug 15, 2004
549 posts
12 upvotes
Orillia
some of my suppliers had advantages over the retailers. Systembuilders could get 3 year warranty on systems built in house, better tech support. but most of that has also gone away. Microsoft also had some nice programs for systembuilders as well.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8451 posts
16 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:They can't approach 100% of the market share, and we could help :)

Lol, just a thought, since a few guys in here were complaining that it's not worth getting stuff from distributors, rather [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] has lower prices, etc. In that case, really, there would be no new computer stores opening up, and only the already-established chains would continue to open new stores.
Which seems to be the case...
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1757 posts
1143 upvotes
Vancouver
Here is another supplier for you guys thinking about opening your own computer store. From the threads that I've read, it seems to be owned by [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink].

www.directcanada.com

You don't need a business license to buy from these guys. They're prices are so much cheaper than ingram micro, tech data, asi partner, eprom, daiwa, etc.

Yes, let's all open a computer store. How are you gonna compete when prices are dirt cheap!!! Booyah!!
Jan 23, 2006
69 posts
Jon Lai wrote:That's why we're talking about, say, buying from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink], or CC, and reselling it. You'll make more than buying from a distributor this way.
Like Drew said, you won't make a dime buying from cc and re-selling, everyone knows about cc, [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]ncix[/rfdlink], etc.

The only way you can make a few bucks off each sale (assuming your charging tax to your customers and running the business legally) is if you spend 10-15 grand of supply each order.