Feb 1, 2012
200 posts
152 upvotes
Markham

Looking for a CPU/Mobo upgrade and HDD

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of insight.
my current build is as follows

Looking for a performance increase, haven't changed anything in the system except for adding in the SSD and a GPU upgrade.

Would DDR4 ram compatible boards be a good idea? I know its relatively new and i don't know much about it.
As for a HDD im looking for a quality 4TB drive as storage and a potentially larger SSD for my main apps

Anyways any help/insight would be great!

Edit: I just noticed that my RAM is only at 799MHZ would increasing it to 1600 give it a slight performance boost?
10 replies
May 22, 2011
331 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
One of the best upgrades ever is an ssd, get one for your OS and programs. Upgrade your clumsy cpu to an i5, you can get i7 but hyper-threading isn't used extensively in gaming. Your ram is fine, even if you go from 800mhz to 1600mhz, you won't notice the difference. For the same reason, you won't much notice difference between ddr3 and ddr4.

Watch this video for an explanation of ram speeds.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
Yikes! Did you say you just upgraded your video card to that GTX 580? I got rid of that high temp and power hungry card yrs ago and replace it with the HD 7850. What exactly will you be doing with your computer because that computer is just fine with the SSD(Windows 8 and 10 OS will boot up and shut down even faster).
Feb 1, 2012
200 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
I upgraded to the 580 awhile ago. when it was relatively new. I had way too many problems with ATI cards in the past so i tend to stay away from them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
jlang129 wrote: Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of insight.
my current build is as follows

Looking for a performance increase, haven't changed anything in the system except for adding in the SSD and a GPU upgrade.

Would DDR4 ram compatible boards be a good idea? I know its relatively new and i don't know much about it.
As for a HDD im looking for a quality 4TB drive as storage and a potentially larger SSD for my main apps

Anyways any help/insight would be great!

Edit: I just noticed that my RAM is only at 799MHZ would increasing it to 1600 give it a slight performance boost?
First thing to do is to pop an eight core AM+3 into your m/b. It is under $200. I can assure you with 16 Gb of ram and SSD your desktop can just transform into a fast machine. Every other parts are fine.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
danieltoronto wrote: First thing to do is to pop an eight core AM+3 into your m/b. It is under $200. I can assure you with 16 Gb of ram and SSD your desktop can just transform into a fast machine. Every other parts are fine.
That board is AM3, not am3+. Best he can do is a Phenom 1090t x6, if he can find one.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
mr_raider wrote: That board is AM3, not am3+. Best he can do is a Phenom 1090t x6, if he can find one.
My apology to the OP. My oversight
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: That board is AM3, not am3+. Best he can do is a Phenom 1090t x6, if he can find one.
I have the Phenom II X4 955 and the 1090T so updating from his Phenom II X4 965 is totally not worth it because you are not getting that much gain if he's just playing games, surf the web and watching videos.
Feb 1, 2012
200 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
I'm doing some video editing here and there. I was mainly thinking if this viable option to just do a mobo CPU upgrade and keep everything else?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
The only worthy upgrade would be an i5 but that will be in the price range of $300-350 cpu/motherboard.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)