• May 12th, 2017 8:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3232 posts
630 upvotes
Markham, ON

Looking for a data only prepaid sim in the US

I'll be staying in Las Vegas for about 4 days and I'm looking to purchase a prepaid sim card with data only. I'm currently leaning on Roam Mobility but I'd like to hear if anyone else has other recommendations. Thanks in advance.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
633 upvotes
NORTH YORK
EnyCe wrote: I'll be staying in Las Vegas for about 4 days and I'm looking to purchase a prepaid sim card with data only. I'm currently leaning on Roam Mobility but I'd like to hear if anyone else has other recommendations. Thanks in advance.
That costs Can$17 +$10 (for 500Mb LTE city area 7days). That is probaby
hard to beat
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Nov 10, 2011
434 posts
84 upvotes
Burnaby
EnyCe wrote: I'll be staying in Las Vegas for about 4 days and I'm looking to purchase a prepaid sim card with data only. I'm currently leaning on Roam Mobility but I'd like to hear if anyone else has other recommendations. Thanks in advance.
I can tell you I had problems in Las Vegas last June using my Roam Mobility Hot Spot device and the data only plan. I switched my provider account (Telus) and then I qualified for Easy Roam so I decided to sell the hot spot device. When I sold the device, the person that bought it said it work when she used it in San Diego. But I've read that a lot of people had the same problem in Las Vegas, so maybe its just a Las Vegas problem.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3232 posts
630 upvotes
Markham, ON
gong_8 wrote: I can tell you I had problems in Las Vegas last June using my Roam Mobility Hot Spot device and the data only plan. I switched my provider account (Telus) and then I qualified for Easy Roam so I decided to sell the hot spot device. When I sold the device, the person that bought it said it work when she used it in San Diego. But I've read that a lot of people had the same problem in Las Vegas, so maybe its just a Las Vegas problem.
I can hotspot from all my Android devices and never had a problem. I'll be primarily be using the data for using Uber, Google maps and Whatsapp. I wouldn't really have a need for hotspot, my hotel has free WiFi anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9837 posts
2972 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm currently in the US, Albany, NY to be precise and Roam Mobility works fine in the cities but there was not much, if nothing at all, outside. I had no signal driving through upstate New York and nothing inside the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY.

Luckily I had the foresight to bring along a standalone GPS or we would be SOL. Roam may work for you in Vegas but think of a Plan B, just to be on the safe side.
[removed]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
633 upvotes
NORTH YORK
canabiz wrote: I'm currently in the US, Albany, NY to be precise and Roam Mobility works fine in the cities but there was not much, if nothing at all, outside. I had no signal driving through upstate New York and nothing inside the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY.Luckily I had the foresight to bring along a standalone GPS or we would be SOL. Roam may work for you in Vegas but think of a Plan B, just to be on the safe side.
Agreed. Driving on the highway (I-90) has always been challenging for getting cell signal not to mention data. RM has not had great signals in less populated areas at all.
I had Windmobile before which if roaming could switch back and forth between the signals of AT&T and T Mobile. Calls were fine on AT&T (more mature networks) . Data was still problematic and sporadic. Luckily there are service areas and populated areas where data or wifi were available.
BTW GPS should work if the cell phone is held up on the dashboard where satellite signals can be picked up. Data of course helps but it is not indispensable.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
8857 posts
4067 upvotes
Markham
shutterbug wrote: Get a T Mobile Pay as you Go sim for $3. Add the $10 data pass. 1 gig for 10 days of LTE.

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go
Isn't the SIM $10 and then you gotta add $3/mo then you can add data pass $10...so $23 total?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2547 posts
552 upvotes
Nope. Got the sim for free. Although as I understand it varies. Typically you can get it free from a real T Mobile store as opposed to some reseller.
gr8dlr wrote: Isn't the SIM $10 and then you gotta add $3/mo then you can add data pass $10...so $23 total?