Home & Garden

Looking to do potlights

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2019 8:34 am
Jul 18, 2012
622 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote: Moe just came by; very nice guy. Drew out the plan and everything for me.

Very competitive pricing for 25 lights (21 White, 4 Brushed Nickel), 1 dimmer, 1 new switch, replace 4 Halogen with 4 LEDs. 5 year warranty on all work. I think we will likely end up going with him.
Did he draw up all the required permits for the electrical work?
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
robbiemurray wrote: Did he draw up all the required permits for the electrical work?
ESA permits / inspection are extra and would require him to install new breaker and feeding switches. Once that's done, the ESA inspection could happen.
RFD Forums Moderator
Dec 5, 2016
274 posts
56 upvotes
Just bumping this thread. WorldIRC, did you end up using Quality Potlight and how was their service?
Also did you end up getting the smooth ceilings through them?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
2188 posts
1682 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: ESA permits / inspection are extra and would require him to install new breaker and feeding switches. Once that's done, the ESA inspection could happen.
alucky17 wrote: Just bumping this thread. WorldIRC, did you end up using Quality Potlight and how was their service?
Also did you end up getting the smooth ceilings through them?
I would like to know also. Did you go with the ESA inspection as well? Is ESA mandatory for this type of job?
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Hi Guys,

I'm getting the Potlights installed by Quality Potlight on April 13. Most responsive and came to the house to provide a proper assessment.

He does not require me to do an ESA inspection but did offer it. In order to do ESA, I'd have to make a modification to the breaker, add feeding switches, and pay the permit (basically an extra $440 + tax).

As for the ceilings, they do not do ceiling work (other than patching fixture holes). We will decide on the ceilings when we paint (after the potlights are done).

Thanks
RFD Forums Moderator
Feb 20, 2017
337 posts
106 upvotes
Barrie, ON
WorldIRC wrote: Hi Guys,

I'm getting the Potlights installed by Quality Potlight on April 13. Most responsive and came to the house to provide a proper assessment.

He does not require me to do an ESA inspection but did offer it. In order to do ESA, I'd have to make a modification to the breaker, add feeding switches, and pay the permit (basically an extra $440 + tax).

As for the ceilings, they do not do ceiling work (other than patching fixture holes). We will decide on the ceilings when we paint (after the potlights are done).

Thanks
I'd love to hear what you do regarding the popcorn ceiling. I'm going to add pot lights to our basement but it has popcorn ceiling, not sure if I just want to remove the ceiling do the pot lights then do drywall.

Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote: Hi Guys,

Thanks
The permit isn't really optional FYI so I'd be leery of an electrician offering that sort of thing as the penalties for working without a permit are significant. He's probably making it sound more complex than it really is for you not to opt for the permit.

But stop and think about it.

To do it to code, he's telling you it would require some modifications that he is NOT GOING TO BOTHER doing without a permit. So is it safe? Who knows. Might as well check their liability insurance is paid up.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Drew_W wrote: The permit isn't really optional FYI so I'd be leery of an electrician offering that sort of thing as the penalties for working without a permit are significant. He's probably making it sound more complex than it really is for you not to opt for the permit.

But stop and think about it.

To do it to code, he's telling you it would require some modifications that he is NOT GOING TO BOTHER doing without a permit. So is it safe? Who knows. Might as well check their liability insurance is paid up.
He didn't make the ESA requirements seem complex at all. He simply said the decision is up to me. Mr Potlight is the same as are the couple other companies I spoke to. General consensus is they all seem indifferent and all are confident in the quality of their work along with the reviews to back it up. I did confirm he is fully insured.

He also did mention that at any time I could choose to do the ESA and they'd complete the required additions so that it would pass.

He finally mentioned that the most common environment where his customers will opt for the ESA stuff is when he's working on a finished basement where the wiring for the lights is brand new. In that case he would insist on the ESA permit. But since we are only working on an already finished part of the house, he didn't seem as concerned.

To be clear: He recommended the ESA stuff; but said the choice is up to me. So ya, I guess he (and many others) are willing to do the work "not to ESA requirements".

I still have a couple weeks if I want to do the ESA stuff.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
If you don't won't a permit he will skip some steps and complete the job, If you want a permit he will do the required work to bring his job up to code? either way he should be doing the job up to code, then if you decide you want to get a ESA inspection all thats required is pulling a permit, no other work needed
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote: He didn't make the ESA requirements seem complex at all. He simply said the decision is up to me. Mr Potlight is the same as are the couple other companies I spoke to. General consensus is they all seem indifferent and all are confident in the quality of their work along with the reviews to back it up. I did confirm he is fully insured.

He also did mention that at any time I could choose to do the ESA and they'd complete the required additions so that it would pass.

He finally mentioned that the most common environment where his customers will opt for the ESA stuff is when he's working on a finished basement where the wiring for the lights is brand new. In that case he would insist on the ESA permit. But since we are only working on an already finished part of the house, he didn't seem as concerned.

To be clear: He recommended the ESA stuff; but said the choice is up to me. So ya, I guess he (and many others) are willing to do the work "not to ESA requirements".

I still have a couple weeks if I want to do the ESA stuff.
You know that a permit is ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED for this work right? Nowhere in the code does it say "ask the client if they want it inspected, if so pull a permit".

No permit = no oversight = shortcuts. Don't really need to staple the wire, wastes time. Don't really need to use the proper connectors, those just cost money, romex through knockout will be fine. Too many devices on circuit instead of adding another breaker? It'll be fine. The sparky won't die in the house fire. ;)
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Alright, I will go the ESA route to make sure all required work is done along with permit. Last thing I want is the house catching fire and insurance not paying out.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
What is going on in this thread? A permit is required whether 6 inches or 600 feet of wiring are being installed. I could not understand how these pot light company's were doing their work for so cheap and now I can truly see how..
They are flat out breaking the law that's how! Take your quote and call ESA and see if ESA says " Oh yes the permit is optional" or better yet "Yes take out the permit just before the fire starts"
Seriously??
Simply put, if you want to add pot lights to a room in your home, a permit is 100% required. There is no legal way around it.
The reason they do not want to take out a permit is not to save you money, these guys are not investment bankers.. It's to save them from giving you the real cost of doing this work to code. If they give you the real "legal" cost of doing this work to code minimum, they will certainly be in competition with every other electrical contractors prices.
These guys are very much aware that adding additional lighting outlets to an existing circuit is against code period. 12 devices per circuit is code minimum.
All they are doing is adding to these already maxed out circuits and telling you a permit is not required. If you ask for a permit, they tell you a new circuit needs to be installed and the price sky rockets because THIS IS THE REAL COST OF DOING THIS WORK.
They undercut everyone else in the business by violating code and issuing customers a proper invoice to boot!
Seriously, call ESA and give them the details of your quote lol. They will probably suspend their ESA license on the spot.

I feel especially sorry for the poor master electrician they have on staff though because he/she has been signing off all of their work that is not to code and there will be serious legal consequences to pay WHEN problems finally arise, even after a few years after installation..
Mar 3, 2013
516 posts
265 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
@WorldIRC
I would love to see the estimate that was issued to you for this work. If this company is indeed completing this work without permits, then they are indeed breaking the law. If you are truly concerned about their business practices contact the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services - consumer protection branch at 1800-889-9768. ESA will not do anything unless they are working on a particular job site, you would then file a dangers work order with them instead.
Please do not assume that just because they have a great Home Stars rating that they are doing proper work.
A Licensed Electrical Contractor
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
DIrty-D wrote: What is going on in this thread? A permit is required whether 6 inches or 600 feet of wiring are being installed. I could not understand how these pot light company's were doing their work for so cheap and now I can truly see how..

I feel especially sorry for the poor master electrician they have on staff though because he/she has been signing off all of their work that is not to code and there will be serious legal consequences to pay WHEN problems finally arise, even after a few years after installation..
I would guess the master electrician is only involved on work done to code with permit pulled.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
What I find 'shocking' (see what I did there) is these companies aren't saying we'll do it to code without pulling a permit. They are telling homeowners the install isn't to code?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Zamboni wrote: What I find 'shocking' (see what I did there) is these companies aren't saying we'll do it to code without pulling a permit. They are telling homeowners the install isn't to code?
In this case, the electrician was specific about not doing the work to code. If it was to code, the only thing they'd need to do is pull the permit (which, AFAIK, needs to be done BEFORE any work is done), and get it inspected. Not "make a modification to the breaker, add feeding switches...". I would guess that he tapped into a circuit that he shouldn't have to cut some corners.

C
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
I re-read my written quote. No where is ESA optional. He did recommend it during our meeting but I guess they have made the business decision that it is up to the customer whether or not to do the ESA required activities, but that's not on paper.

I will still proceed as planned with the ESA requirements and permit and then follow up with the inspection afterwards. The pricing is still competitive.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Lights are going in as I type this. Workers and owner arrived on time. ESA inspection is scheduled for next week.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Now that the lights are in my family room, I've decided we will be scraping the ceilings.
RFD Forums Moderator
Feb 20, 2017
337 posts
106 upvotes
Barrie, ON
WorldIRC wrote: Now that the lights are in my family room, I've decided we will be scraping the ceilings.
Good choice, I put in one light in my basement and it looked horrendous. (we have pot lights in our kitchen) and the difference in visual look is crazy.