• Apr 10th, 2019 9:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
3929 posts
435 upvotes
Scarborough

Looking for a door that is smaller height than normal 74-76"

Working with a smaller than a normal door. Does anyone know if I can find pre-fab doors that are between 74-76" tall? The normal size I see in Rona/HD/Lowe's is 80-84". Going custom is too expensive, as this is for a side entry for the cottage.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
4 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10333 posts
9516 upvotes
Oakville
Normally you'd just cut down the door to fit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
3929 posts
435 upvotes
Scarborough
Cutting down through the metal? Also rebuilding the frame afterwards?

Any ideas if I could take it in for someone to do it or should an attempt at it?
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5867 posts
2497 upvotes
Paris
Traian2003 wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 4:43 pm

Any ideas if I could take it in for someone to do it or should an attempt at it?
So taking it somewhere is now a custom door.

We got a custom door for our cottage in the shortest height available (as we were reframing and didnt know the exact finished heights). We then cut it down with a Milwaukee metal saw (which is like a cordless circular saw but built for metal), then re-built the frame. Its easiest to do from the top.

Ideally you need a flush door (so no raised panels etc) which is generally a custom order anyway.

You should be able to order one the exact right size for $400ish at a box store for their cheapest custom stuff. Or buy off the shelf for $300 and then mess with it.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10333 posts
9516 upvotes
Oakville
Traian2003 wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 4:43 pm

Ah, you're looking for an exterior metal door. I was thinking an internal wood door, but you can still cut them down, just need a different blade and you'll probably want to put backer boards on each side of the door to get a clean cut.
If the door is weakened by the cut because it's hollow, then you could fill it in with some lumber cut to fit and glued/screwed in.

You could also go with a wooden exterior door.