Request-A-Deal

Looking for Elyptical, Treadmill or Stationary Bike

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2017 11:40 am
Nov 24, 2009
3 posts

Looking for Elyptical, Treadmill or Stationary Bike

I'm looking to buy an Elyptical Treadmill or stationary bike. My job gives me $750 to spend on items like this but I could go upwards of a thousand.

I don't need anything super fancy. I find with some treadmills I have problems running on due to my stride (I'm 6 foot tall) so it would need to be a larger one.

I have a television in the room I plan to put it into so I don't need a screen or stereo system or anything, I'm just looking for something sturdy and reliable.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
You can buy slightly used clothes racksgym equipment on places like kijiji for far less than new. People buy them with the best of intentions but then abandon them for "more important" activities. I've seen high-end residential treadmills that sell for $3,000+ new selling on kijiji for well under $1,000. And that's without haggling. Those models tend to be large enough for even six-footers.

You can find the owner's manual for models offered on kijiji online at the manufacturer's website. You can often find information in them about running diagnostics, even get the number of hours and distance "travelled", etc. right from the display panel. Use this to verify the seller's claims.

Good quality gym equipment is heavy. You'll need a van or pick-up truck and 2 or 3 helpers to move it, especially a treadmill. A well-built treadmill can weigh 200 to 300 lbs. Sometimes the difficulty in moving is one reason why the seller has to ask a low price in order to get the equipment out of their home. Sometimes the seller is moving houses and don't want to pay movers for a heavy item they no longer use. Their loss can be your gain.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1686 posts
998 upvotes
bylo wrote: You can buy slightly used clothes racksgym equipment on places like kijiji for far less than new. People buy them with the best of intentions but then abandon them for "more important" activities. I've seen high-end residential treadmills that sell for $3,000+ new selling on kijiji for well under $1,000. And that's without haggling. Those models tend to be large enough for even six-footers.
+1 Kijiji is a way to go as most people buy it and not use it.
Last year we picked bicycle which cost $800+ for $200 only. It was almost new and works well.

OP case is different, as OP would like to use his/her employers credit and such a case require the purchased receipt. OP check out Costco & Sears.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
comp_freak wrote: OP case is different, as OP would like to use his/her employers credit and such a case require the purchased receipt.
I'm not sure that's necessarily true. The OP said, "My job gives me $750 to spend on items like this..." Usually that means the employee can buy the item any way they want, including cash, then put the purchase on an expense report for reimbursement. It's true that the employer will want to see a receipt, but that shouldn't be an issue with legitimate private sellers. I've given people hand-written receipts in private transactions. I've also submitted such receipts to my employer when I've bought something privately. There shouldn't be any problem.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1686 posts
998 upvotes
bylo wrote: I've also submitted such receipts to my employer when I've bought something privately. There shouldn't be any problem.
I wasn't aware of that fact. It's a win win in this situation.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)