Site Comments & Suggestions

Looking for feedback on a new, upcoming top navigation bar...

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2011 3:03 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2001
5573 posts
907 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for feedback on a new, upcoming top navigation bar...

Hey everyone,

There's a lot of things we want to do to improve the site and one of the areas we haven't been very happy with for a while is the top navigation bar. If your screen is wide enough, you would actually see 17(!) tabs. It's a bit messy to say the least so we've been working on an update that we'd like to test and roll out in the next few weeks. We think it should help provide a more fluid and cleaner navigation experience and allow you to get to more of the sections and deal info faster. Here's a preview:

[IMG]http://images.redflagdeals.com/rfdimage ... _small.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://images.redflagdeals.com/rfdimage ... _small.jpg[/IMG]

We've grouped a lot of the tabs together and provided more options in the mouseover menu so that you can drill down deeper with one click. At some point in the future, we think we can probably remove the categories in the left sidebar as well so that's the direction we're going, but one step at a time...

So what does everyone think? We're looking for some feedback right now so post it here. As we roll out this feature you will have an opportunity to test it out or change back to the existing navigation bar if you prefer. We will also have a survey to help track and monitor the results so please provide your feedback!

We've got a lot on the go right now so hopefully we'll be rolling out more tools and features in the future to make it easier and more fun to use the site.
90 replies
Sep 30, 2001
30147 posts
10132 upvotes
Toronto
i hate pop-up menus. can't we aim for a simpler layout that aims for speed rather than bells & whistles?

as for 17 tabs there's a much simpler solution. deep six the following: features, credit store, warehouse sales, scarlett lounge, marketplace, newsletter, and blog. some of those are of dubious value and i question just how much traffic they actually get. stuff like 'blog' can be integrated into the forums (you could make a sub-forum called [dun dun dun] Blog).

oh and of course why is the request for a bigger inbox always being ignored in these upgrades?
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2683 posts
580 upvotes
North York
Derek wrote: We've grouped a lot of the tabs together and provided more options in the mouseover menu so that you can drill down deeper with one click. At some point in the future, we think we can probably remove the categories in the left sidebar as well so that's the direction we're going, but one step at a time...

As long as the main buttons still function as buttons - ie click forums and it brings you to forums home - that would be a positive change. I'll be honest I'm more excited having the left side bar disappear.
Aug 19, 2002
461 posts
234 upvotes
+1 to disliking menus; every implementation I've seen has impacted usability to some extent.

I still find myself mildly bewildered whenever I'm reminded there's more to this place than the forums to be honest.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1544 posts
1026 upvotes
Vancouver
It looks far too cluttered. The system we have now looks fine to me.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21465 posts
4880 upvotes
YUL
I like it. I'd have to see it in every day use to see just how functional it would be.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2006
7423 posts
538 upvotes
Vancouver
I'll be honest in saying that I only visit the forums and occasionally coupons. This would not change my navigating habits in the slightest and I wonder how many people it would affect?
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
if it slows down the site, im not in favour, any improvements that help load the page faster is OK with me, +1 for a bigger inbox as well, 500 messages?
Nov 21, 2010
296 posts
79 upvotes
mikka1989 wrote: if it slows down the site, im not in favour, any improvements that help load the page faster is OK with me

+1 to this.

If it makes the site slower, then I'm a no go. But yea...17 tabs is a tad clutter-ish haha. Looks good, I just hope it would not lagg on the mobile-side when I log through my iPhone and Blackberry.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16511 posts
3315 upvotes
No, please no. I'd rather see more time invested in fixing the existing problems than creating new ones.

Most notably:

1. The text editor is still completely messed up. You cannot highlight text and format it; it places the formatting characters somewhere at random.
2. Smilies, emails, links, images, movies, etc etc are inserted at the beginning of the post, regardless of cursor position.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2007
6903 posts
261 upvotes
for the past 4 years I havent used those tabs at all.

When I go on rfd, I use the sidebar, click electronics bst, then i go back to forums and go from there. Maybe I should try these tabs lol.
[external advertising and solicitation in signature is not allowed]
Aug 5, 2007
962 posts
445 upvotes
I’m a forum-only guy so I barely notice the tabs. It’s kind of difficult to judge based on screenshots but I kind of like this new implementation with the mega-dropdowns.
Mar 7, 2010
369 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
It appears to be an improvement as long as the site speed is maintained on the mouseover function.

I for one think that if you could make the user able to create a "MyRFD" homepage that they could customize for their needs and wants so it populates the things they want to see immediately and not have to navigate each time.

Glad to see you being proactive. keep up the good work!
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
2083 posts
1458 upvotes
Waterloo
When I click on my RFD bookmark, it takes me to hot deals. After browsing I then click on Subscribed Threads to check out those.

As long as site loading speed is not effected, you guys can do whatever.
The OG grocery thread that inspired all others ⇩

Living in Ontario and Looking to save money on groceries? Check out my Grocery Flyer Highlight Thread Here!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1608 posts
144 upvotes
Hampton
I browse as much from a BB on the mobile version as I do on the full version. I would suggest you focus on mobile more in fact - I often find myself checking this site while in a store.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2008
2935 posts
1149 upvotes
They have a drop down menu like this on http://www.hfboards.com.

It doesn't cause problems performance-wise, and is VERY convenient.

I am very much in favour of this.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1698 posts
127 upvotes
Seems like a solution looking for a problem. We already have ways to navigate to subforums, etc. I think I prefer what is presented in those screen shots over the sidebar, but having both is a waste. I am with everyone else: if it affects page load speeds negatively in the slightest, don't do it!

I would also agree that focusing on mobile platforms would be time better invested.
Jul 1, 2005
539 posts
45 upvotes
Burlington
Pop-up menus don't always work well with mobile browsers. Perhaps you could also consider a dedicated mobile view, or enabling the free Tapatalk plugin for mobile devices.

[QUOTE]Tapatalk is a forum app on the iPhone, Android, BlackBerry and Nokia. Tapatalk Forum App provides super fast on-the-go forum access to any vBulletin, IPBoard, phpBB or SMF forum that has activated the free Tapatalk plugin.

http://www.tapatalk.com/[/QUOTE]
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12313 posts
5393 upvotes
You need to widen the forums main page by removing the stuff on the left (Search and Sort, Follow Us and Categories). This has been an ongoing annoyance too many.

Then start looking at tabing.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
273 upvotes
Kitchener
MrDisco wrote: i hate pop-up menus. can't we aim for a simpler layout that aims for speed rather than bells & whistles?

as for 17 tabs there's a much simpler solution. deep six the following: features, credit store, warehouse sales, scarlett lounge, marketplace, newsletter, and blog. some of those are of dubious value and i question just how much traffic they actually get. stuff like 'blog' can be integrated into the forums (you could make a sub-forum called [dun dun dun] Blog).

oh and of course why is the request for a bigger inbox always being ignored in these upgrades?

+1

Add the price compare to the important features list as this might also drive your revenue higher when used to purchase stuff.

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.