• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 10:17 am
[OP]
May 26, 2005
897 posts
300 upvotes
Winnipeg

Looking for feedback/reviews on ***** (H amuq) mattress

It's time for a new mattress and I've been rathe turned off by the retail mattress buying experience so far.

This has led me to consider the Hamu q. Just wondering if anyone has direct experience they'd like to share.
14 replies
[OP]
May 26, 2005
897 posts
300 upvotes
Winnipeg
Bump
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1188 posts
360 upvotes
London
no experience with this brand (what a HORRIBLE name). I was considering a Logan and Cove mattress. I really don't like how the ***** site really bashes Chinese steel as being terrible. Just because it is from China, does not mean it is bad. Sounds like a very small, poorly run company that doesn't mind that they are essentially labeling themselves as racists. They should have stated in their comparison that the reason that L&C coils are bad is because the steel that they use is made of _____ and is only ____ gauge.

Plenty of terrible things are made in every country.

Edit: why is the H Am UQ name all censored out?
[OP]
May 26, 2005
897 posts
300 upvotes
Winnipeg
Drakestar wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 5:01 pm
no experience with this brand (what a HORRIBLE name). I was considering a Logan and Cove mattress. I really don't like how the ***** site really bashes Chinese steel as being terrible. Just because it is from China, does not mean it is bad. Sounds like a very small, poorly run company that doesn't mind that they are essentially labeling themselves as racists. They should have stated in their comparison that the reason that L&C coils are bad is because the steel that they use is made of _____ and is only ____ gauge.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have no idea why the name is censored. I found that strange.

I think I may give the L&C a shot. I do like that it's made by a more established company (Novosbed) rather than a true startup. There's no way that all of these mattress companies are going to be around for the entire warranty period.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1188 posts
360 upvotes
London
We have always had the typical spring mattress until we stayed at a hotel that used all foam mattresses and we liked it. So we replaced our spring mattress (continuous spring style iirc) with a lucid foam mattress that we bought on amazon for an amazing deal ($399,queen,free shipping & no tax for some reason). Five years later and we are getting close to replacement time, and I would like some more traditional support hence looking at a coil/foam combination. You are correct that there seems to be so many online choices now.

I tell my patients (I’m a DC), a few things about mattresses:
Ignore the warranty (within reason) because most people should be considering replacing thier mattress in 7-9 years and at that point most warranties are just not practical to chase down.
If you are unsure, spend the money or wait until vacation, and stay at a higher end hotel since they typically have better beds (heavenly etc) and if you sleep better there (different noises,temps,light etc) then your current mattress may need to go.
Mattresses are very difficult to price since they are always on sale and each store has differently labelled products.
If you are one (or a couple) goto a store alone and use the wife/husband excuse. Sleep country sales people are very well trained in sales. They are very knowledgeable about beds and you will likely learn alot. When they attempt to put the screws to you, don’t ever accept the first price and then simply tell them that you can’t buy a bed without your wife at least trying it (that is your very very reasonable out).

Good luck, sorry about the spelling.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6765 posts
2673 upvotes
Drakestar wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 5:01 pm

I think the mods got pissed at their shilling earlier. The thread has since been removed... you can see proof of the thread existing in the likes in this user's profile LINK

There was also another thread in /r/Mattress where they were very obviously shilling their own product with multiple accounts.
Feb 23, 2010
981 posts
273 upvotes
Drakestar wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 6:03 am
We have always had the typical spring mattress until we stayed at a hotel that used all foam mattresses and we liked it. So we replaced our spring mattress (continuous spring style iirc) with a lucid foam mattress that we bought on amazon for an amazing deal ($399,queen,free shipping & no tax for some reason). Five years later and we are getting close to replacement time, and I would like some more traditional support hence looking at a coil/foam combination. You are correct that there seems to be so many online choices now.

I tell my patients (I’m a DC), a few things about mattresses:
Ignore the warranty (within reason) because most people should be considering replacing thier mattress in 7-9 years and at that point most warranties are just not practical to chase down.
If you are unsure, spend the money or wait until vacation, and stay at a higher end hotel since they typically have better beds (heavenly etc) and if you sleep better there (different noises,temps,light etc) then your current mattress may need to go.
Mattresses are very difficult to price since they are always on sale and each store has differently labelled products.
If you are one (or a couple) goto a store alone and use the wife/husband excuse. Sleep country sales people are very well trained in sales. They are very knowledgeable about beds and you will likely learn alot. When they attempt to put the screws to you, don’t ever accept the first price and then simply tell them that you can’t buy a bed without your wife at least trying it (that is your very very reasonable out).

Good luck, sorry about the spelling.
Hey just wondering if you ended up getting a Logan and Cove mattress?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1188 posts
360 upvotes
London
Dante19 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:31 pm
Hey just wondering if you ended up getting a Logan and Cove mattress?
No, the one we have (lucid) seems to be doing okay but I can tell it is on the downhill swing.
[OP]
May 26, 2005
897 posts
300 upvotes
Winnipeg
I haven't pulled the trigger on a new mattress yet.

Logan & Cove really turned me off because last spring when I was looking their website very prominently noted that you could buy any time because they would never have sales. Since late this summer they increased prices by $100 and their website has a permanent $100 off 'sale'. To me this is very misleading and disingenuous so I won't buy from them.

Silk and Snow is now selling their own coil and foam hybrid mattress. Might give that one a shot.
Feb 23, 2010
981 posts
273 upvotes
Senk wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:24 pm
I haven't pulled the trigger on a new mattress yet.

Logan & Cove really turned me off because last spring when I was looking their website very prominently noted that you could buy any time because they would never have sales. Since late this summer they increased prices by $100 and their website has a permanent $100 off 'sale'. To me this is very misleading and disingenuous so I won't buy from them.

Silk and Snow is now selling their own coil and foam hybrid mattress. Might give that one a shot.
I'm in the same boat but thinking of ordering both and seeing which I like better. Logan and Cove has 120 days return period while Silk and Snow has 100 days, so I'm going to order the LC and then have 3ish months to compare both.

Edit:

You sure about the price increase? I went back and checked some reviews there were done in Fall 2018 and the reviews give the retail prices that match today's prices.
[OP]
May 26, 2005
897 posts
300 upvotes
Winnipeg
[quote=Dante19 post_id=30412446 time=1547318339 user_id=292542]
You sure about the price increase? I went back and checked some reviews there were done in Fall 2018 and the reviews give the retail prices that match today's prices.
[/quote]

Prior to some point in fall, the price of a king mattress was $1149 and the website touted that the bed was always at the same price all the time so you didn't have to worry about it going on sale for a better price.

Here is a review that mentions the previous policy: https://www.4theloveofmommy.com/2018/08 ... ss-review/

Now that price of a king is $1249 but there is what appears to be a permanent $100 off sale so its still effectively $1149. As I mentioned before I founs this to be extremely disingenuous and misleading given theylir prior marketing.
Feb 23, 2010
981 posts
273 upvotes
Senk wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:01 am
Prior to some point in fall, the price of a king mattress was $1149 and the website touted that the bed was always at the same price all the time so you didn't have to worry about it going on sale for a better price.

Here is a review that mentions the previous policy: https://www.4theloveofmommy.com/2018/08 ... ss-review/

Now that price of a king is $1249 but there is what appears to be a permanent $100 off sale so its still effectively $1149. As I mentioned before I founs this to be extremely disingenuous and misleading given theylir prior marketing.
It's the still the same price as when this review was posted. The same year-round price is still in effect. The website shows a $100 "discount" but all BiB websites have that, it's effectively their regular price. The price of a King is still $1,149 and the price of the twin matches the price listed on this review ($799).

You even said in the fall the price was $1,149 and now with the $100 "discount" it's still $1,149. So...the price hasn't gone up. What am I missing? As I said the "discount" is an industry norm all BiB companies have them. I'm guessing one company started using it and in order to remain competitive they all had to use it.