Parenting & Family

Looking for Feedback on Student Project (Stroller and Bike Trailers)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2018 4:31 pm
[OP]
Oct 19, 2018
3 posts

Looking for Feedback on Student Project (Stroller and Bike Trailers)

Hi RFD,

I’m currently an undergraduate student enrolled in a product development course. We're currently looking in to the baby product market (particularly in the stroller and bike trailer markets) and trying to come up with things that could improve your lives. If you have time, please help us out by answering the questions we have as well as providing some feedback regards to our proposed idea. Thanks in advance!

Stroller-Related
  • What made you choose the stroller than you purchased over other choices?
  • What do you dislike the most about your current stroller?
  • Have you ever had troubles using a stroller on hills?

Our proposed idea: A motor attachment for existing strollers that would assist parents in pushing their stroller up hills - Would you use this? What's the most you would pay for this attachment?

Baby Bike Trailer Related
  • If you own one - Why did you buy it?
  • If you do not own one (and you enjoy riding a bike) - why do you not own one?
  • Does weight ever become an issue going up hills?

Our proposed idea: A motor attachment for existing bike trailers that would assist parents in pushing their stroller up hills - Would you use this? What's the most you would pay for this attachment?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17202 posts
2076 upvotes
Langley
Good ideas, but I'm afraid I wouldn't buy either. I have a bike trailer that my brother in law bought and passed to me. It can be a lot of work to tow uphill but if that was a big enough problem for me, I'd just get an electric bike. With the stroller it's just used to move the baby in and out of shopping malls and such, so it's not that often that it goes up steep hills.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8187 posts
808 upvotes
My 2 cents as a parent of 2 (soon to be 3) with both strollers and trailers...

Strollers: key factors are size, roll-ability/steering, ease of opening/closing while preoccupied by kid.

Trailer: key factor is comfort, safety, ease of use/compatability.

To be honest, I have walked, run (1/2 marathon) and biked (2+ hr) with the above (and 2 kids) and a motor assist has never been something that crossed my mind as being needed or useful, let alone something to pay extra for.

Gl with the project.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3037 posts
2553 upvotes
Vancouver
NVDResearch wrote:
Oct 20th, 2018 7:26 pm
Baby Bike Trailer Related
  • If you own one - Why did you buy it?
  • If you do not own one (and you enjoy riding a bike) - why do you not own one?
  • Does weight ever become an issue going up hills?

Our proposed idea: A motor attachment for existing bike trailers that would assist parents in pushing their stroller up hills - Would you use this? What's the most you would pay for this attachment?
-I owned one because I wanted to tow my baby behind my bike
-Sure, going up hills is harder. That's why I have low gears.

I would never use an electric assist motor attached to a bike trailer. Drive wheels on a trailer than can jackknife is a very, very, very bad idea in any combination vehicle. And in one towing a baby? Not a chance. Just gear down.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts a location-specific question without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
[OP]
Oct 19, 2018
3 posts
Kiraly wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 10:51 am
-I owned one because I wanted to tow my baby behind my bike
-Sure, going up hills is harder. That's why I have low gears.

I would never use an electric assist motor attached to a bike trailer. Drive wheels on a trailer than can jackknife is a very, very, very bad idea in any combination vehicle. And in one towing a baby? Not a chance. Just gear down.
Thank you for the feedback! We really appreciate it!
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10500 posts
3214 upvotes
Toronto
I have a bike trailer (Croozer) and I'm still towing my almost 60 pound son around in it.

It's hard work uphill but manageable.

I wouldn't want a power assist stroller, i could see a power assisted bike being useful on rare occasions for my wife.
Oct 15, 2008
142 posts
46 upvotes
Windsor
Why did we choose our current stroller(s):
- main stroller - pneumatic tires for on/off road trails, comfortable ride for kid, part of a travel system, adjustable handles for short SO and tall me
- secondary stroller - a sit and stand when we had kid #2. Again, it fit the travel system and it was a front/back arrangement (not a 2 seat wide) as shopping with those is difficult in most stores.

Dislikes:
- main stroller - no built in cupholders (solved with aftermarket parts)
- secondary stroller - not great to steer, only usable on hard surfaces, I tend to kick it often due to handle to handle geometry.

Issues with hills: nope for either

Proposed project 1 (motor for hills): no, wouldn't likely use. 2 issues to my mind. 1: likely needs a heavy power source I need to recharge or fuel for only occasional use 2: if the hill is that steep, for safety sake, I'd want associated safety features if it starts to come down the hill quickly (I lose the handle and my kid crashes in the stroller)

Bike trailer:
Yes, have one. Bought it used. It converts to a jogging stroller (reason #1). Reason #2: it was cheap. Reason #3: cause the family likes bike rides
Is weight an issue: not really. I have packed it with kids and stuff and likely was closer to 75 lbs. Biggest issue was stopping the rig, not going. I live it a flatter part of the country, so likely would have been a challenge going up hills, but if that's really the issue, wouldn't one purchase an electric assist bike which they'd get use out of all of the time rather than the assist on a bike trailer?

Other ideas that might make more sense from my perspective: universal adapters - this type of car seat and that type of stroller. Highly adjustable strollers (no tools): I'm tall, SO not so much. Took a long time to find something we could both use, but our main stroller is now discontinued from what I understand (Quinny Freestyle 4XL). An intelligent method of mounting any diaper bag to most any stroller. Safety features for a stroller (LED "corner" lights charged by stroller wheels turning for night walks).

Good luck OP!