Looking for first camera, too many options

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 12:44 pm
May 5, 2010
813 posts
214 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 3:24 pm
I have some photo editing experience and don't mind doing it, I just prefer capturing exactly what I see while using the natural light, exposure, aperture, shutter speed, etc. but I still do some touch ups or blending when needed.

Budget is open-ended, I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of camera I even need. I would say I wouldn't spend over $5k as I'm just starting out and it's only a hobby and that would include some lenses and accessories to get me started.
Wow you have $5k of budget to start a hobby? Nice!

If you have that kind of money, then you should consider the X-T2 and like 3-4 lenses that will fill all your needs. You'll have money left for a tripod too.
Trust me that once you have used a good EVF, you'll hate going back to an OVF. That's one big advantage of mirrorless over DSLR, for me anyway (I can't function without a viewfinder).

Or the Sony A7R III but that'll leave you with only 1 lens for your budget.

Yeah, by editing, I meant like adjusting the shadow, highlight, white balance & such. I'll never edit something like adding a sunset lighting effect on a picture taking in the middle of the day.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1665 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
djdestroyer wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 3:16 pm
1. I can get over hand feel easily. I've held a few different cameras (big and small) and don't mind either. I'll also be using tri-pod when possible.
2. I have a few friends I could borrow from but other than that, not many photog connections.
3. Weight/size is not an issue.
4. I guess I'm looking for a versatile camera that can do a bunch of things with the switch of a lens. I'll be going on day trips with specific photos in mind so it's not like I'll need everything with me at once but I'll need it all at some point.
5. Yes, but I don't want to pay for crazy specs if I don't them. I've read a lot that there isn't much difference between a 20mp and 40mp sensor, but I'm guessing it becomes more apparent if you're blowing pictures up? I'll be indeed blowing up some prints so how good of a sensor do I need to blow up to 6'x4'?
Looks like you are aiming at a Full Frame DSLR then as they have the quality as well as a wide range of lenses and accessories. Don't worry too much about 20 or 40 mp sensors. You should be looking at other factors like dynamic range and such but if you go full frame those other factors are typically very good to excellent in those sensors anyways so not much of an issue there. Even older Full Frames still have what's regarded as excellent sensors.

Basically, there's only a few games in town then - Nikon, Canon, Sony... Each of them will have their supporters as they have their pluses and minus.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1965 posts
429 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Gin Martini wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 4:11 pm
Wow you have $5k of budget to start a hobby? Nice!

If you have that kind of money, then you should consider the X-T2 and like 3-4 lenses that will fill all your needs. You'll have money left for a tripod too.
Trust me that once you have used a good EVF, you'll hate going back to an OVF. That's one big advantage of mirrorless over DSLR, for me anyway (I can't function without a viewfinder).

Or the Sony A7R III but that'll leave you with only 1 lens for your budget.

Yeah, by editing, I meant like adjusting the shadow, highlight, white balance & such. I'll never edit something like adding a sunset lighting effect on a picture taking in the middle of the day.
Again, I tried not to mention a budget because money isn't a main factor but it's still just a hobby so if I can "get away" with something cheaper, I'd prefer to do that. I'm ready to buy used as well because if I can spend $2k instead of $5k, it means I can go on a trip somewhere to go shoot (or whatever), so although I'd be willing to spend up to $5k, I'd much rather stay under $2k including a lens. I can slowly add lenses as I go. What brand generally has the best availability and prices for resale of lenses and bodies?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6744 posts
969 upvotes
Like everything else, there is always a golden triangle we have to follow, for your case is probably: Picture Quality, Performance & Price and you can only pick two.

Since you said budget isn't a concern, then you may as well pick the best of the best of the group in order to maximize on PQ & Performance but if you want the best PQ, you pretty much have to go FF. However, reason a lot of people don't is it isn't just the bodies are more expensive but so are the lens too and everything adds up in dollar and pounds, as in physical weight.

This is one of the reason people are going to Mirrorless, especially with a cropped sensor, it makes carrying a few lens with you around not as taxing on the body and wallet, yet still get excellent and fast AF.

Another plus for mirrorless is Eye AF, seems to work better than DSLR - https://www.dpreview.com/videos/7658090 ... iii-eye-af

Narrow your options by Sensors Size then Mirrorless or DSLR - That you have to do on your own, no one can help you with that.
djdestroyer wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 3:10 pm
Budget is less of a concern. I'm looking for a good deal on something that fits my criteria:

"I'm going to be using the camera for everything from portraits to landscapes, fashion & food, long exposures, etc.

I'm looking for a camera with solid sensor, good ISO range, quick/smooth autofocus, mic input/decent video quality (4k would be great), and easy radio/WiFi/NFC options. Body size and display size not very important for me nor high resolution on the screen. "

Do I need full-frame? I wouldn't think so but I'm not opposed to it if it means I don't need to upgrade in the near future. Size is not an issue so I would think DSLR makes most sense as I want maximum control. Mirrorless seem to be very popular recently but mostly for form factor?
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Feb 1, 2015
606 posts
132 upvotes
MB
I understand that the budget is not an issue here, but a full frame camera for social media pics and 4x6 prints? Seriously? Isn't it a complete overkill?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1965 posts
429 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
catoun wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 4:55 pm
I understand that the budget is not an issue here, but a full frame camera for social media pics and 4x6 prints? Seriously? Isn't it a complete overkill?
Well everyone has to start somewhere, no? I've always had a passion for photography (specifically landscape and architecture) but it seems most paid gigs are portraits/weddings. And I said 4 foot by 6 foot which I don't think is that normal? Certainly anything under 15mp would not be enough in that case?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1665 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
catoun wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 4:55 pm
At the end of the day, the OP will be the one footing the bill and carrying the weight so as long as they are happy with it, then who are we to say that it's overkill?
Feb 1, 2015
606 posts
132 upvotes
MB
djdestroyer wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 5:47 pm
Well everyone has to start somewhere, no? I've always had a passion for photography (specifically landscape and architecture) but it seems most paid gigs are portraits/weddings. And I said 4 foot by 6 foot which I don't think is that normal? Certainly anything under 15mp would not be enough in that case?
My bad. I initially read 4x6 inch, which is completely different.
Depending on the selected dpi, It would indeed require 24 MP and more to get a decent print.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6744 posts
969 upvotes
Yeah, that requirement combined with 4K video makes the selection into at the upper end of things, if not a FF then at least a higher end APS-C, such as A6300/A6500 or equivalent class.
catoun wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 8:08 pm
My bad. I initially read 4x6 inch, which is completely different.
Depending on the selected dpi, It would indeed require 24 MP and more to get a decent print.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
May 5, 2010
813 posts
214 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 4:24 pm
Again, I tried not to mention a budget because money isn't a main factor but it's still just a hobby so if I can "get away" with something cheaper, I'd prefer to do that. I'm ready to buy used as well because if I can spend $2k instead of $5k, it means I can go on a trip somewhere to go shoot (or whatever), so although I'd be willing to spend up to $5k, I'd much rather stay under $2k including a lens. I can slowly add lenses as I go. What brand generally has the best availability and prices for resale of lenses and bodies?
The cheapest entry level lenses are from Canon, but once you go to the better grade, they are all similar. But Sony's G master series are quite more expensive than the equivalent in other brands.

For your 4x6 feet print, 4x6 = 48 x 72 inch, which means that you'll need a 36 megapixel (a bit more than 4800 x 7200) to do a print at only 100 DPI (dot per inch) (the more, the crisper is the print). Fine arts and other printed medias that are looked close are recommended to have at least 300 DPI, which will require a 311 megapixel camera for a 4x6 feet print.

To give you an idea of DPI in printed medias in real life, your typical magazines & books are at 300 DPI. The newspapers are at 240 DPI. Posters around 24 x 36 are 200-300 DPI. Billboards that are watched a few dozen of feet away are at 50-100 DPI.

To make a simpler comparaison, imagine a 4K TV and a FHD TV, if you watch them at 10 feet, I doubt you'll see that much of a difference, same for print. It'll depend on how you'll want people to view it and that'll be how much you set the DPI.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10593 posts
1679 upvotes
Ottawa
With a budget of up to 5K and a requirement for 4x6 foot prints, I'd start to think about A7RII. Superb UHD video, stills, 5-axis stabilization, 42MP FF. It's a do everything camera

I'd start with a A6500 or XT2 if it was me.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
a6500 paired with a nice FE prime
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1965 posts
429 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
warpdrive wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 9:02 pm
With a budget of up to 5K and a requirement for 4x6 foot prints, I'd start to think about A7RII. Superb UHD video, stills, 5-axis stabilization, 42MP FF. It's a do everything camera

I'd start with a A6500 or XT2 if it was me.
twitchyzero wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 3:09 am
a6500 paired with a nice FE prime
A lot of love for mirrorless which I don't know a lot about. When I took photography courses back in the mid 2000s, I don't believe they were much of a thing, so I'll have to do some more research. The a6500 looks like good value for money so far though. Thanks everyone for the responses and feedback.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1665 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Mirrorless has it's pros and cons. One of the big cons is that for most mirrorless platforms, lens and accessory selection is limited to the OEM supplied product. Some will have adapters for other lenses (either by the same manufacturer or another). Another con is the lack of an actual shutter (yes, that allows the camera to be smaller and eliminates some of the shutter lag) as the sensor is completely exposed when you switch out the lens so extra care is required to keep that sensor clean and dust free. Some will say that that the self-cleaning sensors work great but that's really for a bit of 'clean' dust that doesn't stick to well to the sensor (ie. a bit of grease or static will cause the dust to stick to that sensor) so more cleaning may be required. The same thing happens to DSLRs but at least the shutter when closed offer some degree of protection.
May 5, 2010
813 posts
214 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 1:28 pm
Mirrorless has it's pros and cons. One of the big cons is that for most mirrorless platforms, lens and accessory selection is limited to the OEM supplied product. Some will have adapters for other lenses (either by the same manufacturer or another). Another con is the lack of an actual shutter (yes, that allows the camera to be smaller and eliminates some of the shutter lag) as the sensor is completely exposed when you switch out the lens so extra care is required to keep that sensor clean and dust free. Some will say that that the self-cleaning sensors work great but that's really for a bit of 'clean' dust that doesn't stick to well to the sensor (ie. a bit of grease or static will cause the dust to stick to that sensor) so more cleaning may be required. The same thing happens to DSLRs but at least the shutter when closed offer some degree of protection.
Mirrorless have a mechanical shutter. It is just open by default because it feeds the image to the EVF. It is also smaller not because of the shutter, which isn't that large, but because of the mirror positioned at an angle that makes the DSLR so big.