Looking for first camera, too many options

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 12:44 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2141 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
OP, go to Henry's and talk to the people that works there. Play with the cameras. Then, talk to the people that works at Best buy. Then talk to your friends. Then come back here and open another thread if you haven't decided yet.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6754 posts
975 upvotes
Sorry you didn't get the quality of advice for the price you paid... or did you ?? Lol.

Like I said many times, you know what you want better than anyone else, we can never be the judge of what is best - For YOU. The only way to pick is really just go into a camera store and try them out. ie. May be once you pick up a 7500, you will love the grip it in your hands or the optical view finder OR you will think is too bulky and heavy.

Honestly, there isn't really a bad camera from any of the major brands on the market. If you are not too picky, any mid to high grade camera would be fine for most people. However, since you listed 4'x6' printing as a requirement, we must caution you that the D7500 only has 20.9MP and it may not do as nice of a job as, say the D850 with 45.7MP, google Megapixel / Print size for more info on that.

As for Mirrorless vs DSLR... Let me just say that a lot of people that had experience with mirrorless are switching to it, at least for their leisure use and many are even switching for their pro work and there must be a reason - https://www.digitalrev.com/article/why- ... mirrorless

djdestroyer wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 2:16 pm
I feel like his suggestion is simple, straight forward, and along the lines of what I was planning to get before this thread. And as much as I appreciate all the advice and feedback, this thread has not helped whatsoever lol I'm more confused as to what to buy now than before. Seems like a debate between DSLR and mirrorless has popped up ITT with no clear winner...?
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6481 posts
1679 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
djdestroyer wrote:
I feel like his suggestion is simple, straight forward, and along the lines of what I was planning to get before this thread. And as much as I appreciate all the advice and feedback, this thread has not helped whatsoever lol I'm more confused as to what to buy now than before. Seems like a debate between DSLR and mirrorless has popped up ITT with no clear winner...?
The winning camera (or system) is the one that you end up using a lot and are happy with the results (ie no regrets about not going with the other choice). The key thing is that you use the equipment that you buy - it's a shame when people buy equipment only to not use it OR under utilize it. I was vacationing in Beijing recently when I struck up a conversation about cameras with another tourist. He commented that he had my camera as well but he didn't bring it along because his wife thinks he takes too long to take a picture and is always nagging him about how long he is taking. So, I gave him a few hints on how to cut down the time he takes to shoot and suggested to him that he needs to spend a lot more time with his equipment in order to be comfortable enough so that his wife doesn't think he is lagging behind.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10602 posts
1685 upvotes
Ottawa
djdestroyer wrote:
this thread has not helped whatsoever lol I'm more confused as to what to buy now than before.
You already have some good suggestions that meet your requirements, now go out and try the cameras for yourself. You can sit behind your computer all day but at the end of the day, you have to like holding the camera and taking pictures with it. You're always going to get a ton of different answers of what cameras people like, just like if you were to ask what kind of car to buy.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6754 posts
975 upvotes
The nerve of OP, right ?? :) The differences with the other thread, the other OP had actually done his/her homework and narrowed down for us:

i) One Brand (Nikon);
ii) Two model series & Class (D5xxx / D7xxxx - DSLR);
iii) Fixed Budget ($700);

If OP has done the same, the thread would have been done on page 1 as well. :)
warpdrive wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 11:06 am
You already have some good suggestions that meet your requirements, now go out and try the cameras for yourself. You can sit behind your computer all day but at the end of the day, you have to like holding the camera and taking pictures with it. You're always going to get a ton of different answers of what cameras people like, just like if you were to ask what kind of car to buy.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3491 posts
287 upvotes
never hurts to get more opinions, even if it's divided
choosing your system wisely at first stage is never a bad idea...last thing you want is to buy something like A-mount that's basically abandoned
OP's first world problem might be wanting to photograph everything, needing large prints and an almost-too healthy of a budget
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1970 posts
435 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
hdom wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:59 pm
The nerve of OP, right ?? :) The differences with the other thread, the other OP had actually done his/her homework and narrowed down for us:

i) One Brand (Nikon);
ii) Two model series & Class (D5xxx / D7xxxx - DSLR);
iii) Fixed Budget ($700);

If OP has done the same, the thread would have been done on page 1 as well. :)
I totally disagree. I did my homework and got more lost by doing so, so I came here for clarification but as my research has shown, there is no decisive answer as to why mirrorless may be better than DSLR or vice-versa. I outlined exactly why I needed the camera but people got caught up on WHY I would need to do all those things or WHY I didn't outline a budget. Just because my post didn't conform to your personal standards doesn't mean it's any less valid.

I got the classic response of "the camera doesn't matter, it's all about technique" despite every professional photographer ever using a good camera (so clearly it does matter). Photographers seem to have a cult-like camaraderie where if you're not on the inside then you couldn't possibly understand.

My original post:

"I know this thread probably pops up all the time but I went back a few pages and couldn't really find anything. I'm going to be using the camera for everything from portraits to landscapes, fashion & food, long exposures, etc.

I'm looking for a camera with solid sensor, good ISO range, quick/smooth autofocus, mic input/decent video quality (4k would be great), and easy radio/WiFi/NFC options. Body size and display size not very important for me nor high resolution on the screen. "

I got countless answers suggesting mirrorless because of form factor/size/weight despite specifically saying I don't care. So you might think my post is the problem but it's not like some of the answers are any better. I had done research and held many different cameras but people still ignored that and based their response on what they know and like.

I also feel like you're upset I said this "And as much as I appreciate all the advice and feedback, this thread has not helped whatsoever lol I'm more confused as to what to buy now than before" when it was clearly a joke.

This thread has been a tremendous aid to me so whether you like it or not, it was a success.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1970 posts
435 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
warpdrive wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 11:06 am
That was a joke, hence the "lol"

The thread has helped but I've only narrowed it down to d7500, d750, d500, d800, d850, a6500, X-T2, A7R II, G7, GH5, G85, and a few others so still trying to learn more and get my hands on them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1970 posts
435 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
zero_2003 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 1:23 pm
Which camera did you end up getting? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I've narrowed it down to a few options but I'm in no hurry to buy as I've been thinking about buying a camera for a couple years now. Definitely going to wait for Black Friday deals.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6754 posts
975 upvotes
First of all, there is no perfect camera for everyone and every need. To you, you had very "simple" requirements of what you listed but to us that know, your range of need is HUGE.

Case and point - "Most of the shots will just be for Instagram or other social media but some may get blown up sightly", "4 foot by 6 foot"

Well for Instagram and Social Media, you can probably do very well with the latest phone or a P&S like RX100 V, solid sensor, and ISO Range, Quick & Smooth AF, 4K is pretty much all there... However, you wanted to "blown up" when needed and not just a simple 8"x10" or standard poster size of "24"x36" but upward of "48x72", which pretty much now put you into FF. And do you see why you didn't get ONE answer now ?? Phone/P&S to FF and most in between would probably work too, if you had not put the requirement at 4'x6' or mentioned that you don't need all the pixel for best printing results.

Anyway, from the suggestions, the FF mentioned were really A7RIII & D850 BUT those are one Mirrorless & one DSLR. Reason we didn't want to touch too much on Mirrorless is you saw what it already does when they are mentioned, the DSLR guys come out and issues are mudded and so on. So I was hoping you would just google it yourself, but you didn't, so below are some related videos for your reference.

Anyway, I know you were joking but so was I. If you wanted only one answer, I would say again, I would go with the A7RIII and you may not need to upgrade for a long time.
djdestroyer wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 1:18 pm
...This thread has been a tremendous aid to me so whether you like it or not, it was a success.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6481 posts
1679 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
hdom wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:39 pm
Anyway, from the suggestions, the FF mentioned were really A7RIII & D850 BUT those are one Mirrorless & one DSLR. Reason we didn't want to touch too much on Mirrorless is you saw what it already does when they are mentioned, the DSLR guys come out and issues are mudded and so on. So I was hoping you would just google it yourself, but you didn't, so below are some related videos for your reference.
So, you mean that the mirrorless guys don't come out?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10602 posts
1685 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes, the requirements seemed simple but the range of capability is pretty big, that's why you're automatically looking at cameras at the upper range. The requirements for 4x6', and good low light means you have a compelling reason to go with Full Frame.

Anyway, you'd be pretty safe with almost any mid end full frame camera for your requirements. If you don't mind fewer pixels (printing quality 4x6' is less critical), then the A6500, XT2, D7500 will do the job too.

The mirrorless vs DSLR debate is actually fairly irrelevant, you would be well served by either....at this point you have to get your hands on each camera and feel out the difference.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6754 posts
975 upvotes
Mirrorless guys don't push as hard since they know some other tech is going to replace the mirrorless camera down the road, too. ;)
craftsman wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 5:27 pm
So, you mean that the mirrorless guys don't come out?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3491 posts
287 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 1:18 pm
I totally disagree. I did my homework and got more lost by doing so, so I came here for clarification but as my research has shown, there is no decisive answer as to why mirrorless may be better than DSLR or vice-versa. I outlined exactly why I needed the camera but people got caught up on WHY I would need to do all those things or WHY I didn't outline a budget. Just because my post didn't conform to your personal standards doesn't mean it's any less valid.

I got the classic response of "the camera doesn't matter, it's all about technique" despite every professional photographer ever using a good camera (so clearly it does matter). Photographers seem to have a cult-like camaraderie where if you're not on the inside then you couldn't possibly understand.

I had done research and held many different cameras but people still ignored that and based their response on what they know and like.
lol wat

is that not that the beauty of a community? you don't base your decision on one opinion

some of the pro's are giving you very honest answers. They've been doing it for far too long and have seen too many of these threads...if it helps a newbie from making common mistakes, it's worth listening to. I didn't read very last word of this thread but I didn't get the elitist vibe against newcomers

the breadth of requirement was really out there for a first camera. Budget makes a big difference...shouldn't be surprising.

As much as it's nice to have field-tested all modern cameras under the sun, not all of us own camera stores...I think it's fair we can only share what we know (and it may be biased towards our main system)...again, how is that surprising?
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.