• Nov 9th, 2017 12:44 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1665 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
hdom wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 10:36 pm
Mirrorless guys don't push as hard since they know some other tech is going to replace the mirrorless camera down the road, too. ;)
lol... considering mirrorless guys are the first to jump into the thread suggesting mirrorless.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2140 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Hopefully your body search doesn’t turn you off when you are researching for your lenses. In my opinion, it’s harder to decide on a lens vs body. Once you invest into a company, it’ll be hard to switch out.

My favorite lens of all time is the 50mm 1.2, that’s why I went with Canon.

See which lens you like before committing to your body.
you can't link to your professional website
Toronto Wedding Photographer
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6745 posts
970 upvotes
Have you used a Mirrorless camera for long or recently, Craftsman ?? I personally have and still use both DSLR / Mirrorless and finding myself using more and more of my mirrorless which is why I tend to suggest it.
craftsman wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 1:27 pm
lol... considering mirrorless guys are the first to jump into the thread suggesting mirrorless.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1665 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
hdom wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 2:38 pm
Have you used a Mirrorless camera for long or recently, Craftsman ?? I personally have and still use both DSLR / Mirrorless and finding myself using more and more of my mirrorless which is why I tend to suggest it.
Yes I have. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference - feel, look, weight and how it handles in your hands. If you are happy with a mirrorless product, then all the power to you and go out and use it! But what I learned a long time ago when I used to sell cameras for a living is what works well for you, isn't necessarily what someone else needs, wants, or would be happy with.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4209 upvotes
Southern Ontario
djdestroyer wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 4:24 pm
...What brand generally has the best availability and prices for resale of lenses and bodies?
Canon

Kijiji is full of their bodies and lenses being exchanged all the time. The premium lenses are slightly cheaper than Nikon and much more abundant than Sony or Fuji. I bought a 2nd Canon 5DIV practically new for $3500, my 70-200 f/2.8II was $1700, 50L f/1.2 $1200, 16-35 f/2.8II $1200, etc, those prices are comparatively low. Look up the Nikon equivalents and how much Sony FE primes and G Master zooms cost. I also made or broke even selling my 24-105L, 17-40L, 100L. That said, I use my gear for paid work, I had two 6D's before that, Canon FF's are reliable beasts I can shoot in the rain, they never crash or error and have long lasting batteries, 5DIV's have dual slots. But when I shoot casually, I would prefer something lighter.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4209 upvotes
Southern Ontario
djdestroyer wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 1:18 pm
...I got the classic response of "the camera doesn't matter, it's all about technique" despite every professional photographer ever using a good camera (so clearly it does matter). Photographers seem to have a cult-like camaraderie where if you're not on the inside then you couldn't possibly understand.
There's no inside or cult camaraderie, many of us are happy to tell you how things are done and will direct you to a decent camera mated to your intended use(s). Pros have expensive gear because they want to maximize every advantage. Technique is FIRST, without it, there’s no fundamental baseline. A pro will shoot the same with whatever they use. They can do better with a smartphone and edit it, than a novice with a Phase One.

Take this simple family portrait, a better camera does not tell you to shoot it...
- at golden hour
- backlit
- heads staggered in triangles
- mother is the anchor and centre
- multiple points of contact
- everyone's arms not dangling

Families do not naturally go into formation like this. And images do not look like this straight out of camera, it's an edited RAW.

If you let scenes unfold in front of you, that is still passive composition. Meanwhile you can do deliberate things in a split second before pressing that shutter. Afterward in post, quickly crop along thirds and boost shadows/contrast etc keeping it natural looking. Guys on dpreview will even post presets that try to mimic real life colours and tones using colour cards. You have to remember our eyes can accommodate over 20 stops of light, a camera only does a portion of that.

There are psychological reasons why certain images are pleasing versus others that seem boring without depth, or cause tension. The same goes for any genre, you could spend all day shooting with a premium camera, it's going to look the same as a point and shoot in most lighting conditions if you don't take that little extra effort. imho, it's throwing money away to get a fancy camera and not do other basic things to improve your imaging. Lots of vids like this.

Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10593 posts
1681 upvotes
Ottawa
The beauty of this forum versus others is that there really aren’t many camera snobs or elitists that post often. Most just want to help and offer a balanced and practical point of view from their own experience
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1967 posts
430 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 1:59 am
the breadth of requirement was really out there for a first camera. Budget makes a big difference...shouldn't be surprising.
Again, who cares if it's "out there"? So many people seeming to get hung up on that and same with the budget. When I did list it, people seemed to think it was too high for a hobby. You can't win.
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 1:59 am
As much as it's nice to have field-tested all modern cameras under the sun, not all of us own camera stores...I think it's fair we can only share what we know (and it may be biased towards our main system)...again, how is that surprising?
Despite me saying I would need to blow pictures up, I still got recommendations for phones...
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3185 posts
636 upvotes
Toronto
Question for OP @djdestroyer - this is your first camera, but have you tried out any cameras in general? Any friends you know who are into photography (not necessarily even pros, but just hobbyists or people who at one time or another bought a DSLR) who can maybe let you shoot on their camera or loan it to you for a couple days?

Then you can take it out, use it for all the type of scenarios you hope to use it for, shoot RAW and even try your hand at editing RAW files (you can sign up for a free Adobe CC Lightroom trial) and figure out what you liked and didn't like about your experience with that particular brand... That will help narrow down what you're looking for too.

We all have our biases, despite the fact that many people on this forum are actually very helpful to new photographers. I have predominantly used Fuji and Canon, so I'm used to those systems, but I also know what I don't like about their systems, button placement, menus, etc... Actually getting behind the lens and shooting for an extended period will help you fine-tune your preferences further.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6745 posts
970 upvotes
Honestly budget is very important to narrow the selection and gives an idea on the class of camera you will be looking at. ie. If you didn't mentioned $5K then you probably wouldn't have people mentioning A7 or the other way around. I think people were just jealous of your budget, not many have that much to spare, let alone for a hobby. Any who, it wasn't a real complain and who cares, just ignore them ??

Phone got mentioned cause of your 4K video requirement, they really are getting almost as good as the best camera for video. And if you could separate the video part from the camera, it becomes more flexible with your camera selection.

Check the article(s) out - https://fstoppers.com/originals/iphone- ... gh5-202991
https://www.dpreview.com/news/193448450 ... e-iphone-x
djdestroyer wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:24 am
Again, who cares if it's "out there"? So many people seeming to get hung up on that and same with the budget. When I did list it, people seemed to think it was too high for a hobby. You can't win.

Despite me saying I would need to blow pictures up, I still got recommendations for phones...
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted: