• Jan 3rd, 2019 2:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2480 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto

Looking to get back in the gym, concerns about shady billing practices

I had a miserable experience with premiere fitness at Yorkdale mall (no longer exists) a long time ago, where they kept double billing me and basically refused to cancel my membership. I remember going in on multiple occasions to be told that the person who handles cancellations wasn't in that day. It was a nightmare and really put me off from signing up with any gym ever again.

I've done a little bit of research and I'm seeing the same complaints with every gym, big or small. Including GoodLife and LA Fitness.

TLDR: Is there any gym that will allow me to just pay in cash? I don't trust these scumbags with my banking info or even my credit card number. I'm close to applying for a mortgage and have been very good about my credit score over the years... I don't want these jackasses to destroy that.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20725 posts
2293 upvotes
Montreal
I believe good life is énergie cardio in Quebec. My wife is a member. She gets a discount so that's why it's worth it.

Her main complaint is that they harass you constantly to take personal training sessions. Then the trainer wants to see you as often as possible to rack up hours. Other than that she's happy with the gym.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4627 posts
627 upvotes
never had problems with YMCA ... I did canceled and renewed I few times over the years ...
Feb 25, 2004
483 posts
96 upvotes
Longueuil
mr_raider wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:23 am
I believe good life is énergie cardio in Quebec. My wife is a member. She gets a discount so that's why it's worth it.

Her main complaint is that they harass you constantly to take personal training sessions. Then the trainer wants to see you as often as possible to rack up hours. Other than that she's happy with the gym.
Goodlife bought Énergie Cardio in ~2010 I believe but they sold it in 2016. They have a partnership but they are 2 different companies.

I don't think the personal training session issue is widespread. I go to Énergie Cardio on the south shore and they never harassed me for personal training sessions.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Dec 10, 2018
36 posts
18 upvotes
Mugen123 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 10:33 pm
I had a miserable experience with premiere fitness at Yorkdale mall (no longer exists) a long time ago, where they kept double billing me and basically refused to cancel my membership. I remember going in on multiple occasions to be told that the person who handles cancellations wasn't in that day. It was a nightmare and really put me off from signing up with any gym ever again.

I've done a little bit of research and I'm seeing the same complaints with every gym, big or small. Including GoodLife and LA Fitness.

TLDR: Is there any gym that will allow me to just pay in cash? I don't trust these scumbags with my banking info or even my credit card number. I'm close to applying for a mortgage and have been very good about my credit score over the years... I don't want these jackasses to destroy that.
If you pre-pay like for 1 year membership you should be able to pay in cash
Regards
Fairypopo