Looking to get a heart rate monitor

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2017 12:29 am
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1790 posts
334 upvotes

Looking to get a heart rate monitor

So like the title I am looking for a heart rate monitor. I currently run and bike, I'm slow so I am not really competing to win, I wanted to better measure the calories I was burning and improve my running. I'm not sure if I should get a watch or a chest based monitor.

I was looking at the Wahoo Tickr X which has the HR monitor and also does running analytics. At $120 it seems like a really good deal, I just need to strap it on. I was wondering what the biggest advantages are to using watched based monitors like the Forerunner 935, 735xt or Fenix 3, is it being able to easily see HR and pace at a glance? Is there any great reason that I should spend more and get a garmin vs getting the Tickr?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
I started running almost 5 years ago and honestly just started with a polar hr monitor that really only did hr and calories-burned estimated. I grew out of that very quickly as I didn't find that information very useful after basically a few weeks. I found my way to the Garmin family of watches as to get any real running/biking analytics, you need GPS. I quickly went through 3 different Garmin watches until I landed with the Garmin Fenix 3 two years ago. Over that time, it has worked flawlessly over several thousand kms of biking and running and provides almost too much data.

I don't know the Wahoo Tickr very well so don't know if it does GPS. It seems it requires you to have your phone with you when you run or bike - which is okay for most people but isn't what I want.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Nov 16, 2013
89 posts
17 upvotes
Qu
I have a Tomtom with a heart rate monitor built in and it's great. I'm sure that if I had to wear the chest strap it just wouldn't happen.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3947 posts
1379 upvotes
Vancouver
I have the wahoo tickr run and I've been happy with it. Their customer service is also top notch. I had ordered mine from amazon.ca and the one I received was glitchy. After emailing customer service and troubleshooting a bit, they sent me a brand new one no questions asked! That model includes the running analytics but I haven't taken advantage of it much as I don't like running with my phone in tow. I don't think you'll be disappointed going with the wahoo.

I think I read that chest-strap HRM is more accurate and more consistent. Wrist-based HRM on the GPS watches is good for on the go spot checks, but not as good for consistent workout activities. When I was looking to buy a Garmin GPS watch, I picked the Forerunner 230 due to the fact that I already own a chest HRM and felt wrist HRM in the 235 would be redundant. I regret that somewhat as the chest hrm is a bit cumbersome to wear (as a female, I gotta make sure it fits well and is comfy under my sports bra, etc, etc) and it's not something I would always put on for anything other than a straight running workout. As a result I skip out on wearing the chest HRM during hikes, and light bike ride workouts but it would be nice to have a gauge of what my heart rate is during those activities.
Sep 2, 2005
207 posts
141 upvotes
I mount my Garmin watch on the bike so I can read the stats easily. If you use a wrist-based HRM, you have to keep wearing your watch to monitor heart rate. Don't know if any wrist-based HRM that links to a bike computer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)