• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2017 1:39 pm
Sep 19, 2013
540 posts
122 upvotes
Winnipeg
McKinsey wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:16 am
I tend to buy textbooks (activities) or stocks from the market.
yeah, i would like to contribute to their RESP, but then the 5yo would hate me. Angry Face
Oct 18, 2014
821 posts
199 upvotes
New York City
amitdi wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:43 am
yeah, i would like to contribute to their RESP, but then the 5yo would hate me. Angry Face
While the parents would love you for that, and the kid will when s/he turns 18. What I have done is buy a company they are familiar with (eg. Mattel) and buy a cheap Barbie to go with it. You can get creative: McDonalds/happy meal, nike/basketball etc...While they may not perform as well as a stock like Shopify, RBC...but kids can't relate to them.

Hard being a parent sometimes and not pleasing the kids ;)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35614 posts
1916 upvotes
Toronto
yesstyle wrote:
May 17th, 2017 10:12 am
do little girls nowadays still play Barbies?
Tangled is fun for kids.
Dora the explorer.
Peppa pig.

And space ships!!! Telescope too with stars... just bc she is a girl doesnt mean she won't like science! Kids love that space stuff.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1668 posts
65 upvotes
Mississauga
I have an almost 5 year old girl. I prefer stuff thats not too gender specific. E.g I don't like dolls, Disney girly stuff, princesses, etc. No pets please. Here's my suggestions:

- lego, knex, etc
- anything crafty... markers, paper, crayons, glue, stickers, beads, playdoh. Nothing too complex that needs too much input from me lol
- puzzles
- age appropriate board games
- books
- Make believe stuff like costumes
- puppet stuff
- science-y stuff...e.g we got a kit where she dug out dinosaur bones from dirt
- experiences are a great idea...a day out at the beach/park for example
Jun 23, 2006
291 posts
86 upvotes
My 5.5 yr old likes:
Lego (generic blocks, not specific set)
Box set of early readers (Usborne publishes some decent books)
Puzzles with a cardboard backed 'frame'
Melissa & Doug has a great pretend school set that comes with whiteboards, calendar, pointer stick, bell, stickers for the day's agenda so they could pretend to teach their stuffies in Kindergarten
Jun 23, 2006
291 posts
86 upvotes
Neat idea! How do you buy shares for a kid? With everything online nowadays, can you still get a certificate to gift to their name? Sorry not too familiar with how this works.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6234 posts
267 upvotes
GT'eh
Code a pillar, not sure if your niece may be to old, for this but I got two of them 3 & 4 yr old cousin and they loved it.
Alternatively you can get a bike or scooter they seem to be popular among 5 yr olds. Check with parents first.
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel