• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2017 9:36 am
Sep 19, 2013
711 posts
180 upvotes
Winnipeg
McKinsey wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:16 am
I tend to buy textbooks (activities) or stocks from the market.
yeah, i would like to contribute to their RESP, but then the 5yo would hate me. Angry Face
Oct 18, 2014
904 posts
227 upvotes
New York City
amitdi wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:43 am
yeah, i would like to contribute to their RESP, but then the 5yo would hate me. Angry Face
While the parents would love you for that, and the kid will when s/he turns 18. What I have done is buy a company they are familiar with (eg. Mattel) and buy a cheap Barbie to go with it. You can get creative: McDonalds/happy meal, nike/basketball etc...While they may not perform as well as a stock like Shopify, RBC...but kids can't relate to them.

Hard being a parent sometimes and not pleasing the kids ;)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35832 posts
1995 upvotes
Toronto
yesstyle wrote:
May 17th, 2017 10:12 am
do little girls nowadays still play Barbies?
Tangled is fun for kids.
Dora the explorer.
Peppa pig.

And space ships!!! Telescope too with stars... just bc she is a girl doesnt mean she won't like science! Kids love that space stuff.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1670 posts
66 upvotes
Mississauga
I have an almost 5 year old girl. I prefer stuff thats not too gender specific. E.g I don't like dolls, Disney girly stuff, princesses, etc. No pets please. Here's my suggestions:

- lego, knex, etc
- anything crafty... markers, paper, crayons, glue, stickers, beads, playdoh. Nothing too complex that needs too much input from me lol
- puzzles
- age appropriate board games
- books
- Make believe stuff like costumes
- puppet stuff
- science-y stuff...e.g we got a kit where she dug out dinosaur bones from dirt
- experiences are a great idea...a day out at the beach/park for example
Jun 23, 2006
293 posts
86 upvotes
My 5.5 yr old likes:
Lego (generic blocks, not specific set)
Box set of early readers (Usborne publishes some decent books)
Puzzles with a cardboard backed 'frame'
Melissa & Doug has a great pretend school set that comes with whiteboards, calendar, pointer stick, bell, stickers for the day's agenda so they could pretend to teach their stuffies in Kindergarten
Jun 23, 2006
293 posts
86 upvotes
Neat idea! How do you buy shares for a kid? With everything online nowadays, can you still get a certificate to gift to their name? Sorry not too familiar with how this works.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6254 posts
270 upvotes
GT'eh
Code a pillar, not sure if your niece may be to old, for this but I got two of them 3 & 4 yr old cousin and they loved it.
Alternatively you can get a bike or scooter they seem to be popular among 5 yr olds. Check with parents first.
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Jan 11, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
Wonderland, zoo, midevil times, aquarium, do something with the kid for a day.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
15922 posts
1516 upvotes
Langley
For my nephews around that age, I take them out for an activity (swimming, movie, etc) and dinner/lunch and a trip to the toy store to pick their own present. You get a bunch of solo time with them, you probably spend less time in the toy store, and they get exactly what they want.
Jun 23, 2006
293 posts
86 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
May 28th, 2017 10:56 pm
For my nephews around that age, I take them out for an activity (swimming, movie, etc) and dinner/lunch and a trip to the toy store to pick their own present. You get a bunch of solo time with them, you probably spend less time in the toy store, and they get exactly what they want.
Well done! It's a gift to the parents to have an afternoon off too. What an awesome aunt/uncle!
Mar 23, 2006
688 posts
114 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
May 28th, 2017 10:56 pm
The only real downside to the toy store is the "surprise factor" is gone.

If you listen to them talk, more likely than not you will learn what they want.
Jun 1, 2017
22 posts
3 upvotes
I'm a little late on this but I have a soon to be 5 year old girl.

May sound tacky to some, but money or a gift card. My daughter is already learning how to budget for stuff, she loves being able to make her own decisions and decide how much she will put aside for savings. I love watching her add the numbers up and really think about the toy she's going to spend her money on. Garage sales are her favourite thing and more often than not, she walks away thinking of what she could get if she didn't buy the impulse garage sale deals.

Other than that, she's really in to:

Shopkins (and Nom Noms, twosies, fashems and mashems)
Shimmer and Shine and Little Charmers
Princess Elena
MUSIC (she LOVES the mini pops)
Any colouring or writing tools (paper, cool pens/markers)
Books

Now, to figure out what 5 year old boys are in to...I am clueless when it comes to boys...