• May 31st, 2017 10:44 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6627 posts
88 upvotes
Port Moody

Looking for a good deal on an i5 based 14" ultra book

Looking to buy an ultrabook in 14" size for my wife . Needs portability, 14" to match her previous thinkpad work laptop size, an ssd of 256 rather than 129 and i5 w 8GB. Is the Asus ZenBook UX430 going to be my best option with the bilingual keyboard? We dont really want to go over the 1K mark if possible/ Any deals or other units to consider?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
2995 posts
79 upvotes
Markham
I've been looking for something similar and the only two that I've found are the Acer Swift 3 and the Acer R14. I was able to check out both at Best Buy and they seemed ok. Also just noticed that Canada Computers sells recertified versions with a full 1 year warranty from Acer for $569 and $614 respectively...both seem to get decent reviews.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6627 posts
88 upvotes
Port Moody
7-Endless wrote:
May 25th, 2017 6:01 pm
Looks like Best Buy has a 1 day Flash sale on the R14 for $749.99 today only:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ace ... 93210.aspx?

So about $135 more for a brand new one....
I just seen the deal and plan to take my wife to go get the R14 unit for $749 while it is on this one day sale. At $750 it is a decent deal but 6th gen and keyboard is not bilingual. If I had CC local to me I would take the additional savings personally if it has a 1 yr warranty, the Swift from reviews I found has a dim screen the R14 is a lot better

There is also a Dell Inspiron 13 5378 option for $499 and one could drop in ones own SSD or pay more for the model above, however the Dell is a 13.3" I have not had enough time to read any reviews I skimmed the youtube review, he seems to give it good props and it is kaby Lake
Dell Inspiron 13 5378 Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC (Intel Core i5) w 1TB, 8GB @ $499 discounted $50, pretty good deal but it is out of stock online,
Dell Inspiron 13 5378 Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC ( Intel Core i7) w 256GB, 8GB $899 discounted $300
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d ... pqklt/CH30

We are gonna run out and buy the R14 for now and decide following
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
2995 posts
79 upvotes
Markham
Cisco KId wrote:
May 25th, 2017 9:44 pm
I just seen the deal and plan to take my wife to go get the R14 unit for $749 while it is on this one day sale. At $750 it is a decent deal but 6th gen and keyboard is not bilingual. If I had CC local to me I would take the additional savings personally if it has a 1 yr warranty, the Swift from reviews I found has a dim screen the R14 is a lot better

There is also a Dell Inspiron 13 5378 option for $499 and one could drop in ones own SSD or pay more for the model above, however the Dell is a 13.3" I have not had enough time to read any reviews I skimmed the youtube review, he seems to give it good props and it is kaby Lake
Dell Inspiron 13 5378 Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC (Intel Core i5) w 1TB, 8GB @ $499 discounted $50, pretty good deal but it is out of stock online,
Dell Inspiron 13 5378 Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC ( Intel Core i7) w 256GB, 8GB $899 discounted $300
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d ... pqklt/CH30

We are gonna run out and buy the R14 for now and decide following
Nice...hope you were able to get one. Let me know what you and your wife think once you have had a chance to try it.

That Dell Inpsiron 13 looks interesting as well however I recall a few members here saying that they got DOA units. I may try checking the Yorkdale store to see if they have any in stock...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6627 posts
88 upvotes
Port Moody
7-Endless wrote:
May 26th, 2017 8:49 pm
Nice...hope you were able to get one. Let me know what you and your wife think once you have had a chance to try it.

That Dell Inpsiron 13 looks interesting as well however I recall a few members here saying that they got DOA units. I may try checking the Yorkdale store to see if they have any in stock...

Pretty much leaning to keep unit , it is solid and worth the $739 we have paid. Not alot one can find with the overall quality and specs. I would consider the Lenovo Flex 14 over it for the same price since it offers DDR4 and Kaby lake i5 but I think I will pass on the Dell 5378 , after one buys the base version and swaps in an ssd the difference in price leaves one with a lower quality budget unit vs the R14 and you have a smaller screen. The Lenovo would cost us another $185 and the Dell would save us about $140~ after swapping in a 240-275gb ssd
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6834332311
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
2995 posts
79 upvotes
Markham
Thanks for the info - how do you like the keyboard so far? That was the only thing that made me hesitate and hold off on picking it up last week. I was hoping for a little more travel when depressing the keys. However I think I may still end up picking it up the next time it goes on sale unless I can find a deal on Kijiji for a Latitude e5470...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6627 posts
88 upvotes
Port Moody
7-Endless wrote:
May 31st, 2017 8:41 am
Thanks for the info - how do you like the keyboard so far? That was the only thing that made me hesitate and hold off on picking it up last week. I was hoping for a little more travel when depressing the keys. However I think I may still end up picking it up the next time it goes on sale unless I can find a deal on Kijiji for a Latitude e5470...
Since wifes hands are smaller the keyboard works, she may not type as fast but she did not feel it would be an issue , I played around with the unit and I can make it work and have larger hands, for us it is not a deal breaker