• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2017 7:54 am
[OP]
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes

Looking for good Gym in Thornhill/ Vaughan area

I am a member at JCC which I simply love. Have to leave as my ex gf and I Have a lot of drama so it was decided she keeps the gym.

So any recommendations? It's really hard finding a good gym up her for some reason.

Thanks
Last edited by User499372 on Oct 15th, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
22 replies
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4523 posts
246 upvotes
Just throwing out other options nearby: GoodLife, L.A. Fitness, City of Vaughan gyms, Anytime Fitness.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 8:51 am
Just throwing out other options nearby: GoodLife, L.A. Fitness, City of Vaughan gyms, Anytime Fitness.
Visited Goodlife and LA and both were terrible in the area. They were dirty and crowded and over priced. LA fitness looked like a bargain basement brand but charge regular prices. I said no thanks,

I will checkout City of Vaughan. I am close to a few. Any in particular you recommend?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4523 posts
246 upvotes
User499372 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 9:17 am
Visited Goodlife and LA and both were terrible in the area. They were dirty and crowded and over priced. LA fitness looked like a bargain basement brand but charge regular prices. I said no thanks,

I will checkout City of Vaughan. I am close to a few. Any in particular you recommend?
I workout at North Thornhill CC. It's not huge but it has everything I need and I find it's never really too busy when I go (of course that varies according to when you go and what equipment you use).

I used to go to Maple CC but it got too busy and full of bros.

As for Garnett Williams, I've heard it's older and the clientele is older. With Vellore Village, I've heard the low ceilings are kinda weird. Haven't been to either though.

What about the GL at Hillcrest? I've heard it's decent but it's in a basement.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 4:38 pm
I workout at North Thornhill CC. It's not huge but it has everything I need and I find it's never really too busy when I go (of course that varies according to when you go and what equipment you use).

I used to go to Maple CC but it got too busy and full of bros.

As for Garnett Williams, I've heard it's older and the clientele is older. With Vellore Village, I've heard the low ceilings are kinda weird. Haven't been to either though.

What about the GL at Hillcrest? I've heard it's decent but it's in a basement.
Garnett Williams is like an old age home. It was depressing just waking in and some old man started yelling at me for standing in front of him while he was doing curls....with a water bottle. Weird place. I just took a walk around and seen old guys with walkers and nurses and said "no thanks". It was gangs of old guys talking loud and walking proud. It's like an old man street gang that took over the place. You should go take a look. I got hard stared through my whole walk around, They don't want young (well anyone under 75 is young to those guys) in there and the machine upkeep has gone to hell. I remember I visited years ago and it was all new stuff, now it's all tattered and torn.

Went to North Thornhll and you are right, small but well designed and everything is brand new. My issue is it won't take many people to fill that place up. 30 people and it will look packed. Too small but clean and well kept. I hope it stays uncrowded for you.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4523 posts
246 upvotes
User499372 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 5:51 am
Garnett Williams is like an old age home. It was depressing just waking in and some old man started yelling at me for standing in front of him while he was doing curls....with a water bottle. Weird place. I just took a walk around and seen old guys with walkers and nurses and said "no thanks". It was gangs of old guys talking loud and walking proud. It's like an old man street gang that took over the place. You should go take a look. I got hard stared through my whole walk around, They don't want young (well anyone under 75 is young to those guys) in there and the machine upkeep has gone to hell. I remember I visited years ago and it was all new stuff, now it's all tattered and torn.

Went to North Thornhll and you are right, small but well designed and everything is brand new. My issue is it won't take many people to fill that place up. 30 people and it will look packed. Too small but clean and well kept. I hope it stays uncrowded for you.
Lol! That sounds like the stories I've heard about that place. Those old farts would probably shit a brick if they saw me, a female, benching with the big wheels.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 11:59 am
Lol! That sounds like the stories I've heard about that place. Those old farts would probably shit a brick if they saw me, a female, benching with the big wheels.
Doubt it. I heard them cuss out a personal trainer because she wanted the machine they were casually lounging on . They were pretty aggressive too. One guy had an "Epstein Law" t shirt on a I swear it's the guy from the bus ads . I went in the afternoon and it was literally a gang of old men aggressively bullying everyone. You should see how that guy talked to me and I'm 6'5" and 245 pounds and he was ready to fight me. It was hilarious. I was at GW a few years ago and it was pretty good. I went back to look and it looked like it turned into an old age home for retired gangsters. There were no young people , except the help, in site. I mean walkers on the gym floor? WTF?? I swear I seen a couple of guys in their 100's.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
1619 posts
138 upvotes
User499372 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 4:44 pm
That's the JCC I had to leave because a nasty break up.

It's the best place I have been too. Going to be hard to replace.
How much were you paying per month at JCC if you don't mind?
Banned
Jul 30, 2014
35 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
drunkgoat wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 3:49 pm
How much were you paying per month at JCC if you don't mind?
it's expensive. 127 per month for an adult. If you can afford it go for it. Not op but I was a member a last year and I was paying 127 with tax.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7968 posts
2813 upvotes
Toronto
127???? Does it come with massages???
deadwood wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 2:08 am
it's expensive. 127 per month for an adult. If you can afford it go for it. Not op but I was a member a last year and I was paying 127 with tax.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!