Parenting & Family

Looking for Health Insurance for preferred hospital stay during Pregnancy- Are there any?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 3:10 pm
[OP]
Jan 17, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote

Looking for Health Insurance for preferred hospital stay during Pregnancy- Are there any?

First time, First post, First thread

I am looking for health insurance which would cover some or all cost of private room in hospital. I have OHIP coverage. I am home maker and my husband work doesn't provide any extra health benefits.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1685 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
lasershark wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:32 pm

I am looking for health insurance which would cover some or all cost of private room in hospital. I have OHIP coverage. I am home maker and my husband work doesn't provide any extra health benefits.

Thanks
The room must be $100 or thereabouts per day. If you have normal pregnancy, you need the private room for 2-3 days. What else is there for costs? What are you looking to cover?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5207 posts
806 upvotes
i imagine the cost of health insurance only for the private room would be more than the cost of this private room (assuming normal delivery)
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1370 upvotes
Toronto
amitdi wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 2:06 pm
The room must be $100 or thereabouts per day. If you have normal pregnancy, you need the private room for 2-3 days. What else is there for costs? What are you looking to cover?
Is that normal? I had midwives attend my birth - was home the same day after my first and had my second at home. I thought people were usually home the next day after a vaginal delivery assuming no complications.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1685 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
wirebound wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 2:29 pm
Is that normal? I had midwives attend my birth - was home the same day after my first and had my second at home. I thought people were usually home the next day after a vaginal delivery assuming no complications.
actually yes, 3 would be too much.

my wife was admitted in the evening and delivery happened next day late morning. she was released day after, so it was 2 nights.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2106 posts
123 upvotes
normal healthy natural delivery is like next day disharge (24 hours blood work for baby), if you have c-section then its like 2-3 hospital stay. Private rooms in Markham Stoufville is like $290 per day, so not sure if you can just get insurance for that, or even worth getting insurance, as health insurance is pretty expenisve, I know my employer's cost for my health insurance and its pretty excessive
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3988 posts
831 upvotes
Sask.
Check with Blue Cross, that's what we had years ago when I had our son and it covered a private room, in SK. I ended up being a week in hospital, had gone in the day before I was induced, ended up having to have an emergency C-section. The last few days were because our son wasn't gaining weight (he was fine, though, born over 8 lbs).
[OP]
Jan 17, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
amitdi wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 2:06 pm
The room cost is 290/day at my hospital for private.
It wont be a normal pregnancy, C-sec would be involved
There may be additional days required as informed by my gynec
[OP]
Jan 17, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
milolai wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 2:13 pm
i imagine the cost of health insurance only for the private room would be more than the cost of this private room (assuming normal delivery)
I tried checking with Sunlife and manulife and both doesn't cover pregnancy room charges, but there are exceptions too, but the cost would be greater as what you said.

I tried using kanetix and got a quote from gm for a basic health plan for $6/month, it covers room cost of $500 or $18/month would cover room cost upto $1000
Still have to read the full terms and condition
[OP]
Jan 17, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
Very true, totally agree with you.

I thought maybe our RFD community might help in giving ideas, The intention is not to evade the cost, but with complication involved, just trying to reduce the overall cost, if it may happen. Thats the sole reason why I tried asking here my question.
[OP]
Jan 17, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
natalka wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 4:17 pm
Check with Blue Cross, that's what we had years ago when I had our son and it covered a private room, in SK. I ended up being a week in hospital, had gone in the day before I was induced, ended up having to have an emergency C-section. The last few days were because our son wasn't gaining weight (he was fine, though, born over 8 lbs).
Will check with Blue cross too, Thanks for suggesting.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1685 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
lasershark wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 9:34 pm
The room cost is 290/day at my hospital for private.
It wont be a normal pregnancy, C-sec would be involved
There may be additional days required as informed by my gynec
So at this point, you are trying to cover a sureshot ~$1000 expense. You should definitely check with the insurance provider if they cover private room for pregnancy or not.

I am not an expert, but my general knowledge of insurance tells me that a planned pregnancy may not be covered. Insurance is traditionally intended for unexpected/ unknown costs. Keep us posted how you go about it. I am curious to know if you are able to circumvent some of your costs through insurance.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2740 posts
671 upvotes
NORTH YORK
lasershark wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks
Whether you get a private room or not totally depends on how busy the hospital is at the time of your delivery. Even if you request one and have the insurance to pay for it, if all private rooms are filled (some hospitals don't have many) you will be sharing with someone whether you like it or not.
As I understood it, private rooms also tended to be reserved for those recovering from c-sections.
Jan 24, 2018
17 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto/Scarborough
lasershark wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 9:37 pm
I tried checking with Sunlife and manulife and both doesn't cover pregnancy room charges, but there are exceptions too, but the cost would be greater as what you said.

I tried using kanetix and got a quote from gm for a basic health plan for $6/month, it covers room cost of $500 or $18/month would cover room cost upto $1000
Still have to read the full terms and condition
Please check on Sun Life website for more details as it does outlines the coverage for semi-private room.
Link: https://www.sunlife.ca/ca/Insurance/Hea ... cale=en_CA

quote from the above link:
"Semi-private hospital room

This is an optional benefit with this plan and includes:
85% reimbursement
Coverage up to $200 daily and $5,000 annually
Convalescent hospital:* $20 per day up to 180 days per incident

If you are pregnant at the time of application, we will pay for up to 2 days of hospitalization due to pregnancy. "
Jason Gao
Sun Life Financial Advisor