Parenting & Family

Looking for Health Insurance for preferred hospital stay during Pregnancy- Are there any?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 3:10 pm
Dec 12, 2007
766 posts
109 upvotes
I had semi-private coverage up to a customary amount for the birth of our first child. I requested a private room and even though the amount for a private room was less that the customary amount, I still had to pay the difference between the semi-private and private.

I had an easy midwife assisted birth at 5:00 p.m. We stayed two night because by the time they had results from 24 hour blood test, there was no one available to discharge us until the next day.
Dec 11, 2003
896 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
As somebody else have already said, if you are already pregnant then they would most likely deny your claim for a private room (if you get one). Insurance is for those "what if" scenarios. What if I get pregnant, what if I am in an accident, etc. I have never heard of an insurance policy that will cover you if you are already sick. Keep us posted as to what happens with insurance though. You never know.

Would your husband's insurance cover for a semi-private room at least? If yes, then you have that at least. If you are looking for insurance just for a private room then you would just be gambling on the fact that there is a slim chance that a private room would be available and that insurance would cover you.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Apr 10, 2011
296 posts
127 upvotes
Why not just pay for the private room outright? I gave birth at mount Sinai. I think the private room was almost $500 but honestly, it was worth every penny. I couldn’t imagine being in a ward with 3 other women, their babies, and visitors.

I gave birth at 12:55am. Stayed that night, and the next night, but was only charged for one night.

Edit: just checked mount Sinai’s website and it’s $410 for the private room