• Feb 14th, 2020 9:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3099 posts
1151 upvotes
Montreal

Looking to insulate outdoor AC gas lines & protect from elements

I'm looking to insulate outdoor AC gas lines, about 6 feet.

HVAC installers usualy use armaflex, but it shreds apart after a single winter. My lines are fully exposed to sun, winter, rain, etc (on a flat roof).

Any good suggestions?

thanks in advance
Last edited by marc_t on Feb 13th, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm a customer at:
Virgin Mobile 📱, Tangerine 🍊, VoIP.ms ☎️
Looking to help others; Let me know if you have questions re these companies.

✉️ Send me a message
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6395 posts
2840 upvotes
Alberta
We have what looks like armaflex. Yeah, it doesn’t last long and 1/2 of my lines are exposed. I gave up replacing it and haven’t had any issues in nearly 20 years. You could wrap it in the same stuff and then wrap it with aluminum tape to keep the sun off it. Exposure to the sun/heat is what destroys it.
Feb 11, 2018
513 posts
482 upvotes
I went Lowes and bought Frost King 1" X 6' foam plumbing tubular pipe insulation. Also used a tiny bit of black electrical tape at both ends. Installed more than 10 years ago and everything is still the same. $3 for 6', cheap! Also comes in 1/2" and 3/4", buy the size you need.

EDIT: It is possible that instead I bought the Frost King self seal rubber pipe insulation. Sorry I'm not sure anymore and the a/c is buried under the snow so can't verify.
Last edited by TomLafinsky on Feb 13th, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woe to those who live without suffering. Stagnation and death is the future of all that vegetates without a change.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2995 posts
1782 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
jackrabbit000 wrote: We have what looks like armaflex. Yeah, it doesn’t last long and 1/2 of my lines are exposed. I gave up replacing it and haven’t had any issues in nearly 20 years. You could wrap it in the same stuff and then wrap it with aluminum tape to keep the sun off it. Exposure to the sun/heat is what destroys it.
Yes it's the UV that kills this stuff. Wrapping it in aluminum tape is a good solution.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34094 posts
7933 upvotes
Ottawa
Why? Natural gas freezes around -296 Fahrenheit or -180 Celsius so why worry about it,
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1129 posts
492 upvotes
Oshawa
Believe he is talking about his refrigerant lines.
Pete_Coach wrote: Why? Natural gas freezes around -296 Fahrenheit or -180 Celsius so why worry about it,
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12940 posts
13068 upvotes
Oakville
Just wrap it in some flexible plastic to protect it from UV.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4247 posts
677 upvotes
Waterloo
the hot line looses efficiency if its not insulated. the cool line accumulates moisture and corrodes.
So its good to have them insulated.
I would imagine any outdoor rated paint will do as long as its not solvent based. may have to do two coats if it doesnt stick.
Last edited by Supahhh on Feb 14th, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34094 posts
7933 upvotes
Ottawa
Supahhh wrote: the hot line looses efficiency if its not insulated. the cool line accumulates moisture and corrodes.
So its good to have them insulated.

quote=marc_t post_id=32149300 time=1581617336 user_id=21701]
thanks everyone

anyone tried these products, by chance?

http://www.armacell.us/products/armaflexwbfinish/

http://www.armacell.us/products/armaflexshield/
I would imagine any outdoor rated paint will do as long as its not solvent based. may have to do two coats if it doesnt stick.
[/quote]
Kinda in conflict with your first sentence? Is paint (one or 2 coats) an insulator?
Oh and yes, in the Summer time maybe "accumulates moisture and corrodes. " but, it is winter. And, I thought the lin sets were copper?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4247 posts
677 upvotes
Waterloo
would imagine any outdoor rated paint will do as long as its not solvent based. may have to do two coats if it doesnt stick.
Pete_Coach wrote:
Kinda in conflict with your first sentence? Is paint (one or 2 coats) an insulator?
Oh and yes, in the Summer time maybe "accumulates moisture and corrodes. " but, it is winter. And, I thought the lin sets were copper?
Paint goes on top of the insulation ( Paint is not the insulation ). Its to protect the insulation from sunlight. In OPs case sunlight is hitting the insulation degrading it.
Last edited by Supahhh on Feb 14th, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34094 posts
7933 upvotes
Ottawa
Supahhh wrote: Kinda in conflict with your first sentence? Is paint (one or 2 coats) an insulator?
Don't know what happened to my post but the quote you attributed to me was actually your quote from Post # 11.

Last edited by Pete_Coach on Feb 14th, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4247 posts
677 upvotes
Waterloo
Pete_Coach wrote: Don't know what happened to my post but the quote you attributed to me was actually your quote from Post # 11.
Paint goes on top of the insulation ( Paint is not the insulation ). Its to protect the insulation from sunlight. In OPs case sunlight is hitting the insulation degrading it.
there was some HTML malfunction going on . Ive fixed some . read it again. it should be much clearer now.
----
Pay it forward.