Careers

Is looking at the interviewer's LinkedIn profile bad?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2012 6:33 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 18, 2010
290 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Is looking at the interviewer's LinkedIn profile bad?

Hi everyone,

So I had a job interview, and I had looked up my interviewer's name on Google and found their LinkedIn profile. I was already logged into LinkedIn, so the interviewer would know that I looked at their LinkedIn profile. Is this a bad thing? The interviewer looked at my profile as well. They haven't gotten back to me with an offer or rejection yet. This is for an internship position, if it makes any difference.

Thanks.
15 replies
Jan 20, 2011
244 posts
29 upvotes
that sounds creepish, is there any way of making a fake linkedin profile and creep on them without them knowing its you?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5406 posts
555 upvotes
Mississauga
I've looked up an interviewers profile. If they are up on LinkedIn then they shouldn't be surprised that others are looking them up. That is the purpose of LinkedIn. I have seen potential interviewers look at my profile.

One time a few years ago, an interviewer was offended I looked him up and he addressed me on it. What a jerk!

You can adjust your settings to hide your identity when viewing other's profiles.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1696 posts
323 upvotes
^agreed, shouldn't be an issue whatsoever. If people don't like it then why have a profile in the first place? If interviewers can stalk your facebook/twitter and other social media you should be able to do the same. If you don't feel comfortable blatantly doing so then hide your profile for a bit and check it out. Not an issue in my book.
No Longer the Resident Permatemp
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
183 upvotes
If someone has a LinkedIn Premium account, I believe they can still see who accessed his/her page regardless of hiding profile?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2564 posts
391 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU
underjeep wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 8:41 pm
that sounds creepish, is there any way of making a fake linkedin profile and creep on them without them knowing its you?
yeah the other person might feel creeped out, but sometimes it can really help you with preparing for the interview.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2678 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
i do it all the time
i stalk girls on linkedin just like i do on facebook
i only wish there was a poke feature
[OP]
Jun 18, 2010
290 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 10:03 pm
I've looked up an interviewers profile. If they are up on LinkedIn then they shouldn't be surprised that others are looking them up. That is the purpose of LinkedIn. I have seen potential interviewers look at my profile.

One time a few years ago, an interviewer was offended I looked him up and he addressed me on it. What a jerk!

You can adjust your settings to hide your identity when viewing other's profiles.

@Everyone: Thanks for your reply. I looked the person up after the interview. So the person didn't address it. What if the person asks about it? I know it sounds creepish, but the person looked at my profile first, so I felt it was only fair that I could look at their's.

Another question would be, do you think they'll use it against me when they are considering who to offer the internship to?

Thanks.
[OP]
Jun 18, 2010
290 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
CheapBucket wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 10:34 pm
So who is interviewing who for the job?
It was the project manager at the company.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1696 posts
323 upvotes
lossless wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 10:36 pm
@Everyone: Thanks for your reply. I looked the person up after the interview. So the person didn't address it. What if the person asks about it? I know it sounds creepish, but the person looked at my profile first, so I felt it was only fair that I could look at their's.

Another question would be, do you think they'll use it against me when they are considering who to offer the internship to?

Thanks.
Stop over thinking it, its not a big deal. They're not going to ask you about it, if they do that's incredibly lame on their behalf. Its not like you looked them up facebook or a personal social networking site. LinkedIn is a business website.

Also the employer doesn't have all the power, stop thinking that way. You're allowed to do research and should. If anything it shows that you're interested and trying to learn more.
No Longer the Resident Permatemp
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
2273 posts
26 upvotes
Brampton
I would hope the opposite,

it would seem like you did your research before the interview, which would be considered a good thing
[OP]
Jun 18, 2010
290 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
maxgohan wrote:
Nov 24th, 2012 1:49 am
I would hope the opposite,

it would seem like you did your research before the interview, which would be considered a good thing
I know doing the research before the interview would have been more appropriate, but wasn't given a name before the interview. Although I did do research on the company, I did not do research on the interviewer.
Aug 18, 2011
7 posts
world25 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 10:20 pm
If someone has a LinkedIn Premium account, I believe they can still see who accessed his/her page regardless of hiding profile?
Can anyone confirm this?! I had no idea.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
161 upvotes
Nonsense, I always do a quick scan of interviewers through company website + LinkedIn to get a little background info on them.

You don't need to find out where they live or how many family members they have (that is f***ing creepy) but it doesn't hurt to know what they did before their current job, etc

I always mention that after interviews too, "I saw that you worked as XYZ before moving here as ABC, what made you decide to make the career change, blah blah"

Trust me when I say that the interviewers do appreciate that you put some time researching and it helps you connect more on a personal level
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
× < >