• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2007 3:18 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 17, 2005
812 posts
10 upvotes
montreal
fireguy9 wrote: Plain and simple CRAP!!! whether corded or not. Last thing you need is it to die while mowing due to charge running out,,, or long grass and it doesn't have enough power to mow through it. :idea:
yeah i would agree. unless you it comes with 2 batteries
Nov 17, 2005
812 posts
10 upvotes
montreal
r2traps wrote: Hi all, just moved to a home so I'm new to grass cutting. :lol: I have a old push mower which was given to me. Seemed to work okay at the beginningm but having not been able to cut the grass in a while, it's grown relatively high, high enough that the push mower just rolls over it and doesn't cut it. The grass just bends and then comes right back up. Am I better off getting a gas/electric mower? Or should I just suck it up and use garden scissors to cut down the grass to a normal level?
time to get your blade sharpened.
Aug 24, 2004
146 posts
1 upvote
Azxster wrote: I love my new $100 Yardworks 18" Reel Mower... I was very skeptical but this thing is amazing. Only downside is that it does not cut long grass well and needs to be sharpened frequently to ensure smooth operation.
How do you get the blades sharpened, any DIY kit from the store?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1982 posts
10 upvotes
Kingston
[QUOTE]A gas mower costs a few dollars and pollutes.[/QUOTE]
you must have a massive lawn.
I put 4 dollars in a gas can in early spring, and i'm still using it to mow. I've mowed my lawn at least 15 times with it....on less than $4 worth of gas (i've still got some left)
gas mowers do NOT cost a 'few' dollars in gas to mow an average lawn just FYI
Nov 17, 2005
812 posts
10 upvotes
montreal
dolphie wrote: you must have a massive lawn.
I put 4 dollars in a gas can in early spring, and i'm still using it to mow. I've mowed my lawn at least 15 times with it....on less than $4 worth of gas (i've still got some left)
gas mowers do NOT cost a 'few' dollars in gas to mow an average lawn just FYI
For arguments sake can we agree gas has been around 1$/litre for the last year in canada? You're claiming you've cut your lawn at least 15 times on 1 gallon of gas? That's 266ml per use or 133ml per lawn (front/back)....pretty hard to beleive unless you have a very small lawn.

Although mowers have probably become more efficient in recent years it's usually offset by the increased HP and the power driven wheels.

My electric mower is approx 1500watts. running it for 1 hr (30 min each lawn) would cost me approx 11
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2714 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
We got our craftman 6.75 self propel mower last year. So far this year i've bought 5 dolalrs in gas, about 1/3 left. I have mowed maybe 8 times this year. Each time about 1 hr in length to do front / back and sides.

Not sure if it's efficient or not, but you are probably right about gas costing slightly more to run in the long run. I can't stand electric though, esp if the grass is growing fast and it woni't have the power to chop through. Also the cord!!.. and Cordless have not been shown to be any better, I have a cordless grass trimmer, and until batteries hold charge better, or becomes cheaper, I will keep my gas mower.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Just reading the sears flyer on the weekend and they seem to have a bunch of sale on their Craftsman this week.

Speaking of which, we had a 4.5HP MTD for ~17yrs+ and it still works fine. The only thing is it'll stall when there is spot with extra long growth but works again after a restart. We recently handed it down and got a 6.75HP B&S Craftsman and really enjoying the extra power and self propell very much.

http://www.sears.ca/gp/node/n/16344591/ ... 931&page=1
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1982 posts
10 upvotes
Kingston
[QUOTE]You're claiming you've cut your lawn at least 15 times on 1 gallon of gas?[/QUOTE]
yep, it takes me about 40 minutes to mow. I have a craftsman 6.75 hp, just like the guy two posts up. Bought it last July.
He seems to be getting a similar efficiancy as me with his mower.
Guess we might not by lying. go figure.

either way it's SO far off from the 'few' dollars per mow you quoted, you needed to be corrected.

edited to add:
[QUOTE]the power driven wheels.[/QUOTE]
i propel mine with muscle. no extra gas required there.
Mar 8, 2006
555 posts
112 upvotes
Montreal
jobooie wrote: Craftsman and MTD mowers are both made by MTD. You may be happy for years with the Honda engine but for the deck, well that could be a different story.
No, Craftsman are made by American Yard Products own by Electrolux.

The problem with buyers is that the just look at the Honda engines.
BTW, Honda engine are made in The Carolinas (USA). Some Briggs and Straton are made in Japan. MTD decks are complete junks, all of MTD products, White, Troy Bult ( Toy built ), Yard Machines, Cub Cadet and ect. I know a manager at a small engine shop in Montreal that does more then 50 % of all of the store brands and they have about 150 lawn mowers dead in a warehouse with the Chinese engine on it. It is Hauns Mann brand form Reno and Rona. They were returned just this year since April.

MTD products are very low end.

AYP is medium.

Lawn Boy-Toro, Snapper, Ariens, Honda and some other are high end.

NEVER buy a MTD with a Chinese engine on it. The name of the engine is Power More sold at Canadian Tire and Rona, Reno. That engine is disposable. It looks like a Honda Engine. Home Depot have the Cub Cadet line with the power more engines also. Major junk from China.

Don't beleive me:

Check this Forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/lmower/
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
we got the cordless electric one, and it works alright. You just have to charge it for 10hrs
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
[quote="brute33" post_id="5204820" time="1181565327" user_id="33829"]For arguments sake can we agree gas has been around 1$/litre for the last year in canada? You're claiming you've cut your lawn at least 15 times on 1 gallon of gas? That's 266ml per use or 133ml per lawn (front/back)....pretty hard to beleive unless you have a very small lawn.

Although mowers have probably become more efficient in recent years it's usually offset by the increased HP and the power driven wheels.

My electric mower is approx 1500watts. running it for 1 hr (30 min each lawn) would cost me approx 11
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)