Looking for a Leather Sofa (set)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2018 9:43 am
Oct 2, 2012
466 posts
348 upvotes
Ottawa

Looking for a Leather Sofa (set)

I'm just seeing if anyone has a lead on a great deal / sale on leather a sofa or set? I'm only interested in top or full grain. I find most of the lesser grains just don't last and cost you more in the end through constant replacement costs. So I'll bite the bullet and do it right the first time. However I'm having a hard time finding any kind of a deal right now. I know there is tons of markup in furniture (I had a buddy that sold it at the Brick) so I would expect deals at some point. Maybe they only discount the junk?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly, we did a TON of shopping around... definitely avoid places like Brick, Leons, etc. You'll likely end up with some bonded leather crap or full grain leather only on the touch surfaces.

We needed a particularly long couch...longer than 100"... to fill our great room correctly. Once you get past the standard 82"-ish length, and especially when you're asking for full grain leather on ALL surfaces, the price just sky rockets. We shopped at places like Rawhide International and were quoted over $8,000 for a couch with the specs we needed.

The best value that we found was on a Decorest couch. The great thing is that they are a manufacturer (I think based in Toronto, too)... so you can shop around at various retailers to get the best price. We saved well over $500 just by shopping various retailers for the SAME EXACT couch.

At the end of the day, we ended up with a 102" long couch, will full grain leather on ALL surfaces, and our exact choice of leather colour/finish... paying only about $2,600 for it.
Oct 14, 2017
412 posts
297 upvotes
London
Thanks for sharing. What store did you end up buying at?
Repooc wrote: Honestly, we did a TON of shopping around... definitely avoid places like Brick, Leons, etc. You'll likely end up with some bonded leather crap or full grain leather only on the touch surfaces.

We needed a particularly long couch...longer than 100"... to fill our great room correctly. Once you get past the standard 82"-ish length, and especially when you're asking for full grain leather on ALL surfaces, the price just sky rockets. We shopped at places like Rawhide International and were quoted over $8,000 for a couch with the specs we needed.

The best value that we found was on a Decorest couch. The great thing is that they are a manufacturer (I think based in Toronto, too)... so you can shop around at various retailers to get the best price. We saved well over $500 just by shopping various retailers for the SAME EXACT couch.

At the end of the day, we ended up with a 102" long couch, will full grain leather on ALL surfaces, and our exact choice of leather colour/finish... paying only about $2,600 for it.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
Floger78 wrote: Thanks for sharing. What store did you end up buying at?
Whitby Furniture Outlet.

I'll be honest, the store itself isn't all that to look at, But I suspect that since that their overhead is pretty low, that is why they were able to significantly under-cut all the other stores we went to that also sold Deco-rest furniture. We saw/sat on the couch we wanted in fabric at another store, and we ended up going to Whitby Furniture Outlet to place the order in the leather materials we selected from the sample.

At the end of the day, our couch was delivered directly from Deco-rest in their factory packaging after being custom made.

You just need to find the middle man with the lowest mark-up. I think you can buy from Deco-rest directly... but I'm not sure how much they're willing to haggle, as I'm sure that would upset a lot of their retailers.
Oct 14, 2017
412 posts
297 upvotes
London
Awesome. We’re cut from the same cloth it looks like when it comes to comparison shopping. Thanks for the insight as I’ll be in the market for a new couch in a month.
Oct 2, 2012
466 posts
348 upvotes
Ottawa
Bump for any other ideas. I'm in Ottawa BTW.

Costco.ca is still looking pretty good for the quality / price but I just can't bring myself to spend $4000 on something that I can't sit on and feel first.
Banned
Jul 12, 2016
329 posts
182 upvotes
you can tray on Kijiji, sometimes it works. If you are not too limited in your budget you can try Overstock.com. They have options for every budget.'' Browse our selection by Popular Product Review Average like 3 & up, 2 & up, and 1 & up or by Top Brands like Porch and Den and Argo Furniture. You can also discover more ways to shop our assortment by Sale, Print or Color to find the perfect one. And if your order is over $45, we'll throw in the shipping for free. Whether you're searching for Sofas, Couches & Loveseats or anything else from our Living Room Furniture collection, you'll find all things home, all for less at Overstock.com.''
Oct 2, 2012
466 posts
348 upvotes
Ottawa
OliviaAlgoz wrote: you can tray on Kijiji, sometimes it works. If you are not too limited in your budget you can try Overstock.com. They have options for every budget.'' Browse our selection by Popular Product Review Average like 3 & up, 2 & up, and 1 & up or by Top Brands like Porch and Den and Argo Furniture. You can also discover more ways to shop our assortment by Sale, Print or Color to find the perfect one. And if your order is over $45, we'll throw in the shipping for free. Whether you're searching for Sofas, Couches & Loveseats or anything else from our Living Room Furniture collection, you'll find all things home, all for less at Overstock.com.''
Thanks and I've been looking at both Kijiji and Facebook Market Place for over a month now and it's VERY hard to find a decent top grain leather couch let alone a set and ideally I'd love to get a set. Overstock doesn't seem to have much in terms of leather sets and nothing of quality. Costco looks like it's still the best deal in town but I have to bring myself to pull the trigger on something I can't feel first.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)