• Feb 11th, 2013 4:36 am
Tags:
None
Jan 6, 2008
432 posts
46 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote:
Jan 31st, 2013 1:27 am
It would make sense to rent, unless you are going to be doing alot of shooting under those circumstances.

Take note that a f/2.8 lens (and the 70-300mm) will be considerably heavyier than your D3000. Attached to a D3000 body it will feel very off-balance.
I'd try for the 55-200mm first, it's a super cheap and light lens, not sure on current pricing but it was around $139 a month ago. 70-300mm has decent autofocus and range, next step up costs much more for the f/2.8 lenses.

I have nothing against Sigma/Tokina/Tamron, they make some amazing value lenses, and also so not so great lenses. Really need to do your research and you'll be fine. Nikon glass does tend to keep a better resale value though
the sensible way to handle the weight would be to just mount it on a monopod. the better lenses have a tripod collar. altho some don't come with it anymore. also, regarding the "cheap" lenses. they are not constant aperture and you will be using them at full extension most of the time. so f5.6. this will naturally require a slower shutter speed than f2.8. you will want to shoot when he's blocking a shot. goalies are some of the fastest hockey players. all blur won't be any good. a good lens will last you a lifetime. buy FF if you can possibly afford it to future-proof your investment.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1635 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
You won't get any good shots shooting at 5.6 imo. You can try in your living room and set your aperture to 5.6 have your kids run around a bit and try to take pictures. Being in a hockey rink shooting in what will mostly likely be worst lighting conditions will make it impossible to shoot at anything higher than 2.8 imho. But it really depends on your budget a hockey season is many games it wouldn't be a bad investment to buy a 70-200 f2.8. Or you can try renting. Depends on how much money you want to spend.
Jul 13, 2009
994 posts
72 upvotes
if you can afford 70-200 f2.8, its definitely much better than the rest. i own nikkor 55-200 dx vr, very good lens and light but i need longer focal length. So i purchased 70-300 at FS. Quality is much better and heavier than 55-200. I bought mine at futureshop($539.99) price matching with aden camera($374) and got it all for $390 tax in.

Aden raised their price already, so now the cheapest price is $379.97 at Camera Canada(http://www.cameracanada.com/eNet-cart/p ... p?pid=2161).

if you price match them you should get it for $363.XX before tax + shipping if camera canada charges one.
[OP]
Jan 18, 2008
581 posts
46 upvotes
Thanks for all your help guys. I will be renting for a lens to try for playoffs and then will decide which lens to purchase. If I am brave enough I will post some shots.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5385 posts
102 upvotes
pessamystic wrote:
Jan 31st, 2013 8:11 am
the sensible way to handle the weight would be to just mount it on a monopod.
Get a cheap tripod, extend only 1 leg, and you got yourself a ghetto monopod.
pessamystic wrote:
Jan 31st, 2013 8:11 am
also, regarding the "cheap" lenses. they are not constant aperture and you will be using them at full extension most of the time. so f5.6. this will naturally require a slower shutter speed than f2.8.
Set ISO on "AUTO". Capture action first, remove noise later.
AcidBomber wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 8:09 pm
Warning to all (trolls) - next person to post any flamebaits (religious, sexist, racial, etc) gets an automatic ban.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2774 posts
101 upvotes
Markham
So many "gearheads" talking about gear....but no one has asked the most important questions:

1) What level hockey does your son play?
2) Where do they play hockey. (Community Centres, Multi-centre ice rink, will the payoffs be in an actual stadium hockey rink?)
3) Do you have special access to any ice level areas? (bench, cutouts in glass, behind the icing line?) (Or are you shooting from the stands through glass and netting?)

Depending on these questions, you may even be able to get away with a KIT LENS! Your lens selection should be dependent on 1)how far away from the action you are 2)the speed of play depending on the level your son plays (you will want to get a lens with a large enough aperture to be able to freeze the action with a fast enough shutter speed) 3)your budget
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
1173 posts
234 upvotes
West Vancouver
You probably already know this but in case you don't, your camera doesn't have an internal focus motor in it so you'll need a lens with its own focusing motor like the Nikkor AF-S lenses, otherwise you'll have to manually focus.
× < >