• Dec 5th, 2014 3:48 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 19, 2008
14 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal

Looking for mid-thigh parka for Montreal winter under $400

I am thinking about the North Face McMurdo. I have a 3 year old MEC Frostbreaker that I got on sale, but there is a hole in the sleeve and the jacket wasn't warm enough last winter even with a sweater (wondering if the insulation was compromised). A functional hood and a design to prevent the bottom air from getting in is important.

I could also buy a new Frostbreaker and layer better.

It's for general use. Walking and my car is parked outside so it takes a while for the car to warm up. I am slim and get cold pretty easily (I wear long underwear in 3-5 degree Celsius when I go for a walk).

Fashion is relatively unimportant.
11 replies
Oct 12, 2009
658 posts
388 upvotes
They do good layers at MEC then you could get another Frostbreaker, the only complaint I've read online is the zipper. Or buy their Frontenac which is even warmer and a better fit
2010 Contest Wins: 0
Aug 19, 2008
14 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
CupOfCats wrote: They do good layers at MEC then you could get another Frostbreaker, the only complaint I've read online is the zipper. Or buy their Frontenac which is even warmer and a better fit
Frontenac isn't waterproof, only water resistant. Mind you my Frostbreaker is only water resistant at this stage of its career.

The McMurdo is waterproof but there are issues with the hood and supposedly not enough insulation in the sleeves according to this guy, though others have complained about the hood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2aqXOaT0TQ

Thinking about checking out this Helly-Hansen model as I have seen it for under $300.

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/arc ... t_type=cat
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
rd101 wrote: The McMurdo is waterproof but there are issues with the hood and supposedly not enough insulation in the sleeves according to this guy, though others have complained about the hood.
Is it just me or he said his arm gets cold about 40 degrees. I'm guessing thats in F so around 4 degrees Celsius. So he won't recommand the jacket for 50 below (10 degrees Celsius) which I kinda find unbelievable. Then he said with the jacket liner he's ok for around -15 F (-26 celsius) thats one good jacket liner. haha
Feb 13, 2008
20 posts
gatineau
Have you look at Kanuk ? its a Quebec brand very warm jacket and synthetic insulation.
Oct 12, 2009
658 posts
388 upvotes
rd101 wrote: Frontenac isn't waterproof, only water resistant. Mind you my Frostbreaker is only water resistant at this stage of its career.

The McMurdo is waterproof but there are issues with the hood and supposedly not enough insulation in the sleeves according to this guy, though others have complained about the hood.

Thinking about checking out this Helly-Hansen model as I have seen it for under $300.

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/arc ... t_type=cat
Doesn't waterproof and water resistant get interchanged with jackets? I think true ones would say repellent but who knows?

Did you buy the HH jacket? I think I watched a similar review on the Mcmurdo in the arms.
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2359 upvotes
CupOfCats wrote: Doesn't waterproof and water resistant get interchanged with jackets? I think true ones would say repellent but who knows?
Waterproof should mean the material (not the entire jacket itself) is completely impervious to water and water penetration (ie can be drenched or submerged), water resistant should mean limited resistance to water and water penetration (some water may get through if exposed to large amounts), and water repellent usually means a spray coating a material to make it hydrophobic such as DWR in a very limited way. Some jackets have a DWR spray over a waterproof or water resistant material.
Oct 12, 2009
658 posts
388 upvotes
bombdiggity wrote: Waterproof should mean the material (not the entire jacket itself) is completely impervious to water and water penetration (ie can be drenched or submerged), water resistant should mean limited resistance to water and water penetration (some water may get through if exposed to large amounts), and water repellent usually means a spray coating a material to make it hydrophobic such as DWR in a very limited way. Some jackets have a DWR spray over a waterproof or water resistant material.
Thanks for the info very insightful! My one from MEC is water-resistant whereas it's cheaper version Frostbreaker is waterproof (still considering swapping them up) That HH should be a good buy for him then I should imagine being water and windproof.
Aug 19, 2008
14 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
CupofCats: While the MEC website says Frostbreaker is waterproof, my 3 or 4 year old Frostbreaker is definitely not not waterproof unless they changed the materials. I have to hang it up to dry in the bathroom after a rainstorm.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)