Sports & Recreation

Locked: Looking For a MMA Gym In Gta Area !?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2018 10:13 am
May 25, 2012
17 posts
Toronto

Looking For a MMA Gym In Gta Area !?

hey guys,

i am looking to get into MMA, i did wrestling in high school for two years. I'm looking for a good MMA gym, where i can exceed my knowledge on my stand up, BJJ and etc. Are their any good MMA training facility within Brampton, Mississauga, Oakville. Anywhere nearby the local areas that i mentioned. I don't want to travel to Toronto. Its to much of a hassle. i have heard of elite training in Mississauga, which i believe is lead by Claude Patrick. I really don't know in what area i want to specialize in. But as a overall, what gyms have you guys been to, and how has your experience been.

let me know

thanks
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2009
1895 posts
540 upvotes
London
Since you said GTA area ...

Lin Martial Arts in markham specializes in BJJ, also has Muay Thai.

Pound4Pound (also in markham) specializes in Muay Thai, also has BJJ.

Have been to both.

the former is much more geared towards grappling IMO (no ring, not many bags, but a lot of mats)
Latter has more bags, and a full sized ring as well as more thai boxing classes per week (also almost half the price of muay thai at lin martial arts)

I also went to take a look at Revmma, too expensive for me, seems like a mcdojo
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
There is a ton of options and it really depends where you want to train, your budget, and what you want to focus on. I am going to start by saying try out a bunch of options and make your choice off that.

Rev is expensive, sounds like it is out of your area as they have east end locations. It is not a McDojo though. One of the BJJ teachers at rev is the highest placing canadians at adcc and an excellent teacher. I wouldn't train there but it's not a McDojo.

Lin is expensive and a lot of guys left after it went way up in price. The place is good but more grappling based.

Based in your post I'd check out the following: elite training centre, Para bellum mma, kombat arts, Xtreme couture, and matador mma, tap out is in Burlington.

I know a bit about a few of them so I can run down my opinions.

Elite is good from what I've heard, Claude does teach various classes and one of the purple belts from tbjj teaches BJJ sometimes and from personal experience he is a sick grappler and good teacher. I've heard the place is pricey though.

Kombat is expensive and a lot of the grapplers left so the grappling is meh. Worth checking out I guess. Depends on your location...

Para bellum is in oakville and has a solid mma team. I know nothing of price though.

Xtreme couture is solid for mma. Probably the best price you will find. Lots of classes. I do train there most of the time and can answer any questions about the place.

Tap out is new, don't know much about it. Mark bocek will be or is teaching sometimes.
May 25, 2012
17 posts
Toronto
hey phomp,

how are the class sizes at extreme couture, and what do they charge in terms of the mma program. its only 30 min drive from my place.

let me know

thanks for your help.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
look into this;

$350 for 5 months. could probably get it for less if you haggle.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-services-fit ... Z382594144

and a full year's membership for $800. not sure, but i think it's sold by the gym, and not the individual.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-services-fit ... Z379702318

and stay away from crackpots like this guy;
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-other-P ... Z383317459
a year and a half of experience and selling private lessons.....
somebody choke this guy out, please.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
ippon wrote: look into this;

$350 for 5 months. could probably get it for less if you haggle.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-services-fit ... Z382594144

and a full year's membership for $800. not sure, but i think it's sold by the gym, and not the individual.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-services-fit ... Z379702318

and stay away from crackpots like this guy;
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-other-P ... Z383317459
a year and a half of experience and selling private lessons.....
somebody choke this guy out, please.

The second seems like the going rate. I know someone one on here got a full year MMA membership for 599 + tax. Ive heard they might be doing that again on Thursday as a promotion for their annual party. You should try it out before diving into a full year membership though. Even at $800 for the year, better than most gyms you will find. If you ask for monthly rate - it varies and you can haggle a bit.

LOL @ the 3rd one. I know him - no comment. I guess to learn the basics at $25/hour is not bad if you want to accelerate your training being new..... I would certainly say not a purple belt level.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
john360 wrote: hey phomp,

how are the class sizes at extreme couture, and what do they charge in terms of the mma program. its only 30 min drive from my place.

let me know

thanks for your help.

Sorry, forgot to respond to this.

Class sizes vary. Depends on what you want to take as well. Certain days are very busy....Friday is dead and saturdays is up and down.
Jun 10, 2018
1 posts
Hi I'm interested in joining Xtreme Couture , cause im gonna be moving toronto in a few months and Because u said U went there I was wondering if u can help me know how much is for a membership there. And what options do they have for the payment. Like is it a year or month to month, or 3 months pay and again is it still continueing the cheap price for mma classes. And is it a good decent gym too.

Thank you very much for ur help and please help me out here.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
Don't join money back guarantee MMA gym. I wanted to do kickboxing only but you are forced to do Jiu Jitsu. I wanted my money back, I fulfilled all the requirements by attending all classes and I really didn't enjoy them and didn't learn nothing.

When I request for my money back, the dude told me it will come in the mail. It NEVER did. I never went back to that gym. If it's money back guarantee. I would tell people to pay only once they think is worth it.

I am not saying which MMA gym it was. But hmpt! I wasted my time and money and I hate Jiu Jitsu!