Looking For New Job Ideas

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2019 7:22 pm
Dec 25, 2016
50 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario

Looking For New Job Ideas

I'm trying to get some ideas for a new job path that doesn't require going back to school for years.

Thought I would ask the wonderful people at RFD what industry they work in and what they like and dislike about their job. Maybe it will inspire me to look into a new direction for my job search.

Does anyone work for or run a pet service of any kind? - dog walking/boarding/grooming etc... If so, what has your experience been like?

Thank you all in advance for helping to shape my future lol
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
I don't have personal experience but one of my former colleague hung up her suit and is now a part-time dog-walker, clearing more than 6 figures. It's essentially a business, and you live off referrals.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Making 6 figures walking dogs? Have you done the math?
Dec 25, 2016
50 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario
yyztoronto416 wrote: Please read this before considering!

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/0 ... r-pet.html
Great article! Thank you for sharing this. If I were to go down this path, I would certainly take all the necessary steps required. I have done dog walking in the past but only for friends and family. Aside from the insurance and permit, I would certainly invest into taking training courses and getting the Animal CPR & First Aid Certificate.
Dec 25, 2016
50 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario
McKinsey wrote: I don't have personal experience but one of my former colleague hung up her suit and is now a part-time dog-walker, clearing more than 6 figures. It's essentially a business, and you live off referrals.
Wow! Part time? I have met a few dog walkers who said it can be a very good paying job if you put in the work - lots of work and many hours.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
BDSL wrote: Making 6 figures walking dogs? Have you done the math?
No different from being an entrepreneur and/or a contractor. Some succeed, some fail, and most will never know as they are not willing to take a leap faith outside their comfort zone.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
McKinsey wrote: No different from being an entrepreneur and/or a contractor. Some succeed, some fail, and most will never know as they are not willing to take a leap faith outside their comfort zone.
I agree. I just want to make sure people have realistic expectations.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
I think your friend who became a part time dog walker saved enough money to have a business that yield a lot less income but provide a lot more me time.

Put in the 9 to 5 plus overtime first and then start a business that no one would understand.
Dec 25, 2016
50 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario
McKinsey wrote: No different from being an entrepreneur and/or a contractor. Some succeed, some fail, and most will never know as they are not willing to take a leap faith outside their comfort zone.
Well said McKinsey - it's all about taking that leap of faith outside your comfort zone. This is what I struggle with... The fear of not knowing if I would make enough to sustain myself. I know that when I go all in, I give 110% but there is still the fear of security.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
AdventureMe wrote: I'm trying to get some ideas for a new job path that doesn't require going back to school for years.

Thought I would ask the wonderful people at RFD what industry they work in and what they like and dislike about their job. Maybe it will inspire me to look into a new direction for my job search.

Does anyone work for or run a pet service of any kind? - dog walking/boarding/grooming etc... If so, what has your experience been like?

Thank you all in advance for helping to shape my future lol
try the Rover app. Not really meant to be a full time career but side gigs when u have free time but you never know. I did a couple jobs thru this app.