• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2013 12:28 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 3, 2006
893 posts
14 upvotes

Looking for an older type of cell phone for a senior

Like the title says, after years and years of telling my father in law to get a cell phone, he's finally seen the light after his car broke down on the side of the road.

The thing is, he doesn't want a monthly bill (Pay as you go it is) and wants a very basic phone.

Can anyone recommend a place in the GTA where they sell basic used unlocked phones?

Something like Motorollla flip razor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated? (I'm not interested in kijijii)
37 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4740 posts
744 upvotes
BC
UnCeo wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 9:46 pm
7-11 is your best bet.
+1

A senior would likely prefer the ease-of-use of a basic bar type Nokia more than a Motorola flip.

Depends if Bluetooth is also needed. A simple built-in flashlight is a good feature for a senior as opposed to a flashlight app.

A $25 1-year pre-paid would work out well.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9690 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> A senior would likely prefer the ease-of-use of a basic bar type Nokia more than a Motorola flip.

The thing with flip phones is that people don't have to remember to press End. I have read comments that Nokia's OS is easier to use, though, so look for a Nokia flip :) .
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8010 posts
1186 upvotes
London
UnCeo wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 9:46 pm
7-11 is your best bet.
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/
Various promos on right now, and they have simple phones.
Actually, no, no they don't... anymore. 7-11 is not offering the Nokias anymore. They currently carry the Alcetel 356, which is kinda like a budget smartphone. You may get lucky, and find some old stock around, but I didn't have much luck.
Dec 1, 2012
79 posts
RICHMOND HILL
Check Public Mobile out
no contract and cheap plans
i think they got the kind of phones you are talking about

I have a friend that owns the location in Bridlewood Mall,
say sam referred you and he would be glad to help you
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6166 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
samcsho16 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 4:16 pm
Check Public Mobile out
no contract and cheap plans
i think they got the kind of phones you are talking about

I have a friend that owns the location in Bridlewood Mall,
say sam referred you and he would be glad to help you
They've the basic ZTE 520 for $30 now and it's free if you sign up for pre-authorized monthly payments with your credit card, no contracts. Petro-Canada Mobility is basicly the same as Speakout and they've the basic Nokia 1616 still.

http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/phones/133.aspx
[OP]
Feb 3, 2006
893 posts
14 upvotes
Thanks everyone, I do appreciate your input.

Regarding SpeakOut and other pay as you go phones from Petrocan and Loblaws.

My father-in-law needs a simple phone, like I mentioned, with the ability to carry a balance for about a year and the ability to get a 905 number.

According to you guys, what company/phone would suit his needs??

BTW, that Alcatel that Speakout is offering now would confuse the sh it out of the old man.

Cheers
Sep 1, 2011
392 posts
87 upvotes
Chilliwack
I like Speak Out as you can buy $25 of airtime and it's good for a year. I'm not 100% positive but I think you may be able to purchase a Rogers phone and use it on Speak Out as it's on the same network. You might want to research that.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1932 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
+1 on Speakout. Buy $20 flipphone used or $50~$100 from store. $10 Speakout Sim Card. Put $25 that lasts 365days. Good emergency phone!

Or just pick up $89 Wind prepaid wal-mart phone with free incoming with 1 year service includes $10 credit. But need to load $40 every 6months after 1st year. This is good for people who just likes to talk on phone. Just tell them to use incoming only and dont call out. Got it for my mom and works pretty good.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9690 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Ask your friends/family/etc if they have any old shizzy phones they're willing to give away. Families with older teens/early 20s probably upgrade their phones twice a year, in order to stay cool ;) .
[OP]
Feb 3, 2006
893 posts
14 upvotes
Thanks again everyone.

One last question, with most prepaid companies like Fido, Rogers and Speakout, can someone choose a 905 number?

Cheers
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
3826 posts
542 upvotes
Markham
rabbit wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 2:52 am
Ask your friends/family/etc if they have any old shizzy phones they're willing to give away. Families with older teens/early 20s probably upgrade their phones twice a year, in order to stay cool ;) .
Agree with this. If no one has one, post LF AD on Buy/Sell forum here.

Any Rogers/Fido phone will work on Speakout and yes you can pick a 905 area code phone number.

SIM will cost you $10 at the store...phone to make sure the store has stock before you go though. When you're there, buy a $25 prepaid card as well...you'll have to remind yourself to add $25 every year or you'll lose your carryforward $.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
× < >