821 upvotes
BC
gr8dlr wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 6:49 pm

Any Rogers/Fido phone will work on Speakout
This should preferably be worded as:

1. Any unlocked GSM phone will work on SpeakOut

2. Any locked Rogers phone will work on SpeakOut

3. A locked FIDO phone may or may not work on SpeakOut depending on phone model and vintage (same network but different carrier lock to Rogers)

4. Some unlocked GSM phones branded to a plan such as Petro Canada will continue to show that company's logo on startup when used with SpeakOut SIM (no big deal)

So in OP's case, simply look for any basic Rogers, SpeakOut or Petro Canada phone to be on the safe side.

(Can't tell by looking that a non-Rogers GSM phone is unlocked, nor can you depend on what the original owner tells you.)
Nov 20, 2010
772 posts
144 upvotes
It's pretty sad that Speakout only seems to be carrying one phone right now.

http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cellphones

Guess, they feel everyone just buys a SIM card from them and registers with Speakout and just use their own unlocked phones there.

macnut wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 1:01 am

3. A locked FIDO phone may or may not work on SpeakOut depending on phone model and vintage (same network but different carrier lock to Rogers)

Anyone know if a locked Fido Nokia X2 will work with Speakout?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/nok ... 79485.aspx
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17583 posts
1625 upvotes
Poormond Hill
rabbit wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 7:52 am
Ask your friends/family/etc if they have any old shizzy phones they're willing to give away. Families with older teens/early 20s probably upgrade their phones twice a year, in order to stay cool ;) .
What the op is looking for is a phone for a senior. Who most likely needs one with big easy to read buttons. Also a screen displaying large fonts. A senior doesn't need a phone that he has to squint to see the buttons or the screen. It is like buying a Harmony remote for your parents to operate their tv.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4884 posts
821 upvotes
BC
sandikosh wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 9:51 pm
What the op is looking for is a phone for a senior. Who most likely needs one with big easy to read buttons. Also a screen displaying large fonts. A senior doesn't need a phone that he has to squint to see the buttons or the screen. It is like buying a Harmony remote for your parents to operate their tv.
The OP's 'rents may not be visually impaired.

Non-smart Nokia phones are still available.
My guess is that they wouldn't want a used one - old people are particular about germs and strange fingerprints.
Something like this:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mob/3468012250.html

But I thought those used to be free with a $100 airtime purchase - so something like $30 would be a fair offer.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
i went a few weeks ago to 1 7/11 to look at the phones and they were all way to small so i told my sister who is almost blind to just buy the flip phone at telus where she has an account but over the weekend i ended up at another 7/11 and they had a flip phone with very large keys for 79.99 and 20$ off if you buy a 50$ top up card which is good for a year. i told her to call telus and return the phone she bought from there but she doesn't want to go through the hassle.

if i didn't want an android i would get this Nokia phone. sorry i don't know the model number. for those in GVR the store that had it was on 12 st and 10th ave in new west.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Jan 22, 2008
461 posts
19 upvotes
Speakout SIM card, yes. Speakout phones, not really. If button size is important, IMO the 1616, 1661 and 2220 all have too small buttons and only the 2200 had D-pad and function keys spaced well for an elderly person. The new Alctel thing is a write off.

The 2720 has the perfect layout, but sadly it's probably the most defect-prone hardware Nokia ever made. Better off with an old Rogers family 2610, 2680 (or much better 3600 Slide from Europe if you can find it on eBay) or even ancient 1208 ...can all probably be found for under 50 bucks used (doesn't matter they keep working forever...).

Although for just a tiny bit more ($59.99) alot of retailers will sell a new Bell C2-01 quad band + 3G which is probably the best built 3G capable device under $80 ever. So even if you spend $15 unlocking it still makes more sense than used stuff with no option to change neworks. Sony-Ericsson Cedar is another option for super-tactile keys.

If sticking with 2G, also consider Samsung Propel and Samsung Comeback (which opens up like a compact and has a keyboard & D pad inside) - very handy if they can look past the Fisher Price look & feel ...plus 2 screens & keypads are likely to last longer than one.

Virgins Gravity 3 has big but hard to press keys and poor volume, however, you can enlarge the font to a pretty big size, which might be more beneficial in the long run.
Nov 20, 2010
772 posts
144 upvotes

Anyone know if a locked Fido Nokia X2 will work with Speakout?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/nok ... 79485.aspx

Over the holidays I was with a friend of mine that uses his Iphone 3GS with Speakout. Anyway, he popped in his Speakout SIM card from his Iphone into my Fido Nokia X2. Bottom line, I will confirm the Speakout SIM card works 100% on that particular Fido phone. :)
Dec 14, 2012
102 posts
4 upvotes
My mom is using Speakout wireless and it is great. I put her on my old iPhone 2G and it is great. I didn't have to teach her much on how to use it. I started her off with the Nokia flip phone and it was challenging to navigate around with. Also, the iPhone 2G's battery somehow lasts for about two days on wifi too.

Also Rogers phones work with Speakout SIM cards. Tried a couple.
Dec 12, 2009
38 posts
1 upvote
This thread has been useful, since I'm just looking for a phone to keep around in case I'm stranded with my car or in an emergency. Is it better to go with one of these 7-11/Petro Canada ones for such purposes? After reading this, I think I might buy a $50 flip phone from Petro-Canada and then a $25 Speakout card from 7-11.

I definitely don't want a monthly plan since I may use less than 5 minutes on the phone per month, but I'm confused about what "Prepaid Plans" are. For example, Future Shop has deals like (I'm copying and pasting here) "Chatr Nokia C3 Prepaid Cell Phone - Blue - No Contract - With AutoPay" for $50. But these types of plans are different from the 7-11/Petro Canada ones?

This is probably such a simple question but I have been researching this ever since my car started stalling for no reason and visiting all the providers' websites hasn't helped so far.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a phone that could also surf the web when I'm on Wi-fi, and I can carry a $25 card for the odd times when I need to call but I think I'll go for the lowest-cost solution for now.
Dec 14, 2012
102 posts
4 upvotes
I think Speakout is the best prepaid option. Any top up has an expiry of 365 days. However, the minimum top up is $25. Each time you top up your account, you are back to 365 days. When I was with telus, I loaded $10 every month as it only lasted 30 days. As you increase the amount, the expiry is longer. The good thing is, if you don't use your minutes, it sits there as long as you keep adding money when it is due. Hope this helps.

All you need is a SIM card that I believe comes with the phone if you choose Speakout and then load it with a $25, $50 or $100 card and you're good to go after activation.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2016 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
lowerstreet wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 2:07 am
This thread has been useful, since I'm just looking for a phone to keep around in case I'm stranded with my car or in an emergency. Is it better to go with one of these 7-11/Petro Canada ones for such purposes? After reading this, I think I might buy a $50 flip phone from Petro-Canada and then a $25 Speakout card from 7-11.

I definitely don't want a monthly plan since I may use less than 5 minutes on the phone per month, but I'm confused about what "Prepaid Plans" are. For example, Future Shop has deals like (I'm copying and pasting here) "Chatr Nokia C3 Prepaid Cell Phone - Blue - No Contract - With AutoPay" for $50. But these types of plans are different from the 7-11/Petro Canada ones?

This is probably such a simple question but I have been researching this ever since my car started stalling for no reason and visiting all the providers' websites hasn't helped so far.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a phone that could also surf the web when I'm on Wi-fi, and I can carry a $25 card for the odd times when I need to call but I think I'll go for the lowest-cost solution for now.
To start off, Chatr plan thats advertised are monthly plan which you load up money before they withdraw it at end of 30days to continue their service. First buy their phone for $50 then sign up with prepaid $25 plan for unlimited local calling. Pretty good on rogers network. There are others like Wind, Mobilicity which provide similiar services but reception is a culprit most cases. Rogers is best in terms of reception and Chatr is on Rogers network.

If you want phone you can use wifi with, you would want to check out android phones. Samsung makes good stuff. You are looking to pay around $200 for decent phone with good processing power. Some phones comes with GC and rewards, you can except to pay $0~$100 including the GC and rewards. Check the Hot Deals forum.

As others said, check out speakout if you don't except to use local calling. Simcard for $10 and $25 refill card that lasts a year minus $1.25 per month for 911 charges.
Oct 27, 2010
35 posts
Richmond
UnCeo wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 2:46 am
7-11 is your best bet.
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/
Various promos on right now, and they have simple phones.
That's what I got for my mom. I just monitor her usage and make sure I top up her minutes before the year is up
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3492 posts
287 upvotes
Getting back to the topic of phones, I would argue that it's better to get your father a (cheap) smart phone.

- It's (surprisingly) difficult to find an unlocked new, "old style" flip phone or candy bar phone.
- You can buy a used old style phone, but they don't seem to last very long. Specifically the battery dies in just a few years.
- Smart phones are here to stay. It's better that your father get used to current technology rather than holding onto the old stuff. Smart phones and touchscreens aren't going to go away just because your father doesn't want to use them. If your father is 65 years old, it's possible that he may live to be 90. That's 25 years of life. Dumb phones won't be around by then but the next generation of phones will.
- You can buy entry level (Android 2.2 which sucks IMO) smart phones for the same price as new or used dumb phones.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4696 posts
550 upvotes
Good news for you. Fujitsu will sell a 4.0.4-based phone with a home screen specifically designed for seniors. Of course, Android is a resource hog, so I can't see it selling for less than $250...
http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/28/3810 ... hone-in-us
-1.4Ghz processor
-4" 800x600
-voice slowing function
-reduced sensitivity on the screen
-No play store

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
× < >