• May 18th, 2018 7:58 am
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
35 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON

Looking for opinions on mirrorless camera systems

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for your opinions on the mirrorless camera systems that you use and what would make you recommend them. If you have samples that would really help also, ie: flicker, 500px, etc..

I've been using the Nikon D7000 since it came out, and it was a model that has suffered with focus issues on every lens that could not get fixed. (Needless to say, disappointed with Nikon.)

So I'm looking to get into a mirrorless system that makes sense for the short term and the long haul.

Criteria for the system:
*Quality lens offerings preferably without the massive costs for some pro lenses in the future (Not presently possible with any of these: Nikon, Canon + Sony.)
*Lightweight camera/lens combinations.
*Ability to use wireless flash (Radio) systems.

I know my criteria basically cuts off Nikon, Canon and Sony at the moment.. but if rumors are true, Canon could be offering something soon (probably out of my price range though.)

Lastly, my budget is around $1400-1600 to get started so that will definitely influence my decision.

Thanks for taking time to read and respond, if you do.
93 replies
May 5, 2010
956 posts
270 upvotes
Hi Whizbang,

You have made a very clear thread, kudos to that! Just 2 more things you should add, what kind of photography are you into and is it a camera mostly for stills?

With your budget, you can get a brand new Fujifilm X-T20 with the better kit lens, the 18-55mm F2.8-4 or an used X-T2 but body only. The X-T20 is small and lightweight, but compared to your D7000, the X-T2 is light too. Fujifilm makes great lenses and no matter what you choose, their F1.4 or F2 primes, they are equally sharp. Their lenses are not cheap, but not as expensive like Canon's L, Nikon's nano coated or Sony G master lenses. Fujifilm also made the X-E3 that is basically a X-T20 with a rangefinder style and different handling so you can choose the style you prefer.

To be honest, after you ruled out the big 3, you're left with only 4 brands that makes mirrorless: Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic & Leica (Yi doesn't count since they made 1 camera and it's a flop). With your budget, Leica is obviously out. Olympus & Panasonic share some very inexpensive lenses, but once you want something better, their pro line, it cost a lot and at that point compared to Fuji's lenses, you're better with Fuji, IMO.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1735 posts
438 upvotes
North York
I think you’ll be disappointed by the abilities of mirrorless if you’re expecting the same workload of DSLR. I suggest upgrading your body.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4779 posts
247 upvotes
You didn't say what your budget was or if you needed full frame or apsc. Both those things make a huge difference.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1735 posts
438 upvotes
North York
His need of wireless flash system basically rules out all of mirrorless except for Fuji. But Fuji doesn’t have a great wireless flash system. Just upgrade to a newer body.

Mirrorless is a great option for a lighter travel option or a standalone camera for day to day. For example, a Fuji X100 series camera or a Sony A7 series camera will be a great addition to your Nikon system workhorse. No mirrorless system can truly replace Canon/Nikon/Sony system.

Unless you just want something to replace a D7000 and kit lens and just take pictures for fun, go with the Fuji system. Just expect to throw down as much money as you would with a DSLR system.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1405 posts
537 upvotes
ontario
thericyip wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 10:12 am
His need of wireless flash system basically rules out all of mirrorless except for Fuji. But Fuji doesn’t have a great wireless flash system. Just upgrade to a newer body.
This is false. Godox has a wireless flash system for Fuji/Sony/m43 (Olympus/Panasonic). I use their products with my Olympus mirrorless.

OP, I like m43 because of its size and affordable consumer lens selection. However. once you move into the PRO series len$e$ things do get expensive (although I think that's the case with any system)
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1120 posts
256 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Oni-kun wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 10:03 am
You didn't say what your budget was or if you needed full frame or apsc. Both those things make a huge difference.
this

personally, i wouldn't rule out Sony because of adapters. OP most likely has lenses and would be able to mount them to any Sony mirrorless while not compromising too much quality while he saves up for any pro lenses
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3483 posts
675 upvotes
Vancouver
If I had $10K sitting in a bank account at a ridiculously low rate of interest I'd be very very tempted to invest in an Sony Alpha a7III and the FE 100-400 lens for all the air shows and wildlife I shoot, plus a wide prime for other stuff.

Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1735 posts
438 upvotes
North York
esoxhntr wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 1:05 pm
This is false. Godox has a wireless flash system for Fuji/Sony/m43 (Olympus/Panasonic). I use their products with my Olympus mirrorless.

OP, I like m43 because of its size and affordable consumer lens selection. However. once you move into the PRO series len$e$ things do get expensive (although I think that's the case with any system)
I stand corrected.
Nov 21, 2006
452 posts
125 upvotes
Get yourself a D7200 - you will be amazed
Mirrorless is still work in progress
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4779 posts
247 upvotes
I have a Godox flash + transmitter for Sony. Works fine
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3483 posts
675 upvotes
Vancouver
Unfortunately my $10K at a ridiculous low rate of interest is going into a bathroom renovation. Face With Tears Of Joy

Happy wife, happy life.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
1031 posts
51 upvotes
NewsyL wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 11:55 am
Unfortunately my $10K at a ridiculous low rate of interest is going into a bathroom renovation. Face With Tears Of Joy

Happy wife, happy life.
Unless you were going to get paid with the Sony, you're making a much better choice Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Jul 14, 2008
213 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
My best move was to switch from DSLR to M43. For my own purposes, the loss in IQ was marginal compared to the gain in portability.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
35 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
Gin Martini wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 10:00 am
Hi Whizbang,

You have made a very clear thread, kudos to that! Just 2 more things you should add, what kind of photography are you into and is it a camera mostly for stills?

With your budget, you can get a brand new Fujifilm X-T20 with the better kit lens, the 18-55mm F2.8-4 or an used X-T2 but body only. The X-T20 is small and lightweight, but compared to your D7000, the X-T2 is light too. Fujifilm makes great lenses and no matter what you choose, their F1.4 or F2 primes, they are equally sharp. Their lenses are not cheap, but not as expensive like Canon's L, Nikon's nano coated or Sony G master lenses. Fujifilm also made the X-E3 that is basically a X-T20 with a rangefinder style and different handling so you can choose the style you prefer.

To be honest, after you ruled out the big 3, you're left with only 4 brands that makes mirrorless: Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic & Leica (Yi doesn't count since they made 1 camera and it's a flop). With your budget, Leica is obviously out. Olympus & Panasonic share some very inexpensive lenses, but once you want something better, their pro line, it cost a lot and at that point compared to Fuji's lenses, you're better with Fuji, IMO.
Thanks for the Kudos, Gin. :)

I take pictures of just about anything. I do more portraiture and somewhat photo journalistic images at the moment, but that changes month to month/year to year.

As for the primary format, it will be predominantly still images with a mix of video in from time to time. Also, a decent video capable system will be a good option, but 1080p should be enough. 4k would be a nice add-on for the price.

I almost bought an Olympus OM-D E-M5 II for $599.99 over the holiday at BBuy, but I am still not sure that's the way to go. I was going to pair it with the 12-40 f2.8 pro lens, but I just couldn't pull the trigger for some reason. I wasn't comfortable making that system switch at the time and I'm not entirely sure I'm 100% confident in the m4/3 system yet, which is why I was hoping to get some more input from everyone here.

Anyway, thank you for your input.