• May 18th, 2018 7:58 am
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
37 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
thericyip wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 10:02 am
I think you’ll be disappointed by the abilities of mirrorless if you’re expecting the same workload of DSLR. I suggest upgrading your body.
Why do you feel that is the case, @thericyip? I'm not intending on doing 8' x 12' prints or anything of the sort. The speed of mirrorless in terms of raw FPS, appears that almost all mirrorless cameras outdo every dslr except for the higher end pro bodies.

The only downside I see to mirrorless at this point is the terrible battery capacity.

I would upgrade my D7000, if there was something reasonably priced and I could guarantee that the weight was at least 1/4 less.. but I do not believe there are options.. Ultimately, I want to switch one more time and that will be the system I stick with for at least 7-10 years. As for glass, I only have a couple lenses for my D7000, so it's not like I'm stuck with them. Plus, having a lemon of a D7000, I'm basically ready to throw in the towel.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
37 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
Oni-kun wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 10:03 am
You didn't say what your budget was or if you needed full frame or apsc. Both those things make a huge difference.
Budget was listed at $1400-1600. Full frame would be nice, but I don't believe anything even used is within my budget at this time. I can "get away" with m4/3, so APSC would be sufficient as well.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
37 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
esoxhntr wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 1:05 pm
This is false. Godox has a wireless flash system for Fuji/Sony/m43 (Olympus/Panasonic). I use their products with my Olympus mirrorless.

OP, I like m43 because of its size and affordable consumer lens selection. However. once you move into the PRO series len$e$ things do get expensive (although I think that's the case with any system)
The pro lenses from Olympus appear to be fairly well priced compared to the C/N/S counterparts, from what I can see. The 12-40 (24-80 equiv) is $1050 right now, the closest new Nikon 24-70 f2.8 VR is $3000. So close to being 1/3 the price.. :)
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
37 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
sumtimw0ng wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 5:45 pm
this

personally, i wouldn't rule out Sony because of adapters. OP most likely has lenses and would be able to mount them to any Sony mirrorless while not compromising too much quality while he saves up for any pro lenses
I won't rule out any system that is capable of providing value for my money. If Sony happens to be that system, I am fine with that. My problem lies in the cost after first purchase, where the lenses are in some cases triple the cost of comparable lenses on other systems. That limitation would severely limit me in the long run, as I don't believe I will be creating a business out of this adventure to offset the costs.

So my question (if you have knowledge with the adapters,) are the adapters limiting in any way? I have read before that most adapters between systems have some form of trade-off whether it's loss of stops, inability to focus to infinity, increased blur/decrease in depth of field, etc.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
37 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
digger1 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 2:14 am
Get yourself a D7200 - you will be amazed
Mirrorless is still work in progress
I was honestly tempted to do that at one point. But I'm still left with minimal lens choices without forking out a ton of money for better glass and the weight of the body + heavier lenses (generally).
The advantage of doing that would be having a backup body, but it would still be one that I'm unable to trust to take sharp pictures.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
37 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
Turpentine wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 8:58 pm
My best move was to switch from DSLR to M43. For my own purposes, the loss in IQ was marginal compared to the gain in portability.
What camera did you have and what system did you end up choosing? What was it that had drawn you to it?
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3459 posts
771 upvotes
Toronto
Whizbang wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 9:26 pm
Budget was listed at $1400-1600. Full frame would be nice, but I don't believe anything even used is within my budget at this time. I can "get away" with m4/3, so APSC would be sufficient as well.
For that price, you can probably grab a new Fuji XT-20 with the lower end (but still pretty good) XC 16-50 kit lens, with some money to spare, or if you push up to the higher range and add a bit, you can get it with the excellent 18-55 kit lens.

If you go the used way, you can probably come away with an XT-20, the kit and maybe a prime.

If you don't absolutely need video then you might even be ok with the X-T1 for around $600 used, and spend the remainder on glass.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4819 posts
263 upvotes
You seem to already be well informed but just unable to make a decision. I'm not sure how much help we can provide.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4012 posts
1026 upvotes
Toronto
If you prefer portraits I think Fuji has better out of camera colors than Sony at the moment.

Get the XT-20 as suggested by the others.

If it's about future-proofing I would get the upcoming A7III since Sigma is releasing E Mount lenses now.

The Z100 battery on the new Sony's last a day or 3/4 of a day workload.

If there is no chance to up the budget, stick with a used Fuji.
Aug 1, 2010
914 posts
486 upvotes
Montreal
I currently shoot with Fujifilm X-T2 and in 2017 alone, took over 50k shots with it and haven't had much of an issue. I wouldn't use Fuji if I were a sports/wildlife photographer but for almost anything else, it is a workhorse.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3459 posts
771 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 11:25 am
If you prefer portraits I think Fuji has better out of camera colors than Sony at the moment.

Get the XT-20 as suggested by the others.

If it's about future-proofing I would get the upcoming A7III since Sigma is releasing E Mount lenses now.

The Z100 battery on the new Sony's last a day or 3/4 of a day workload.

If there is no chance to up the budget, stick with a used Fuji.
The out of camera JPGs are pretty much why I love Fuji, and the film simulation modes are awesome (classic chrome ftw)
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Jul 14, 2008
237 posts
59 upvotes
Montreal
Whizbang wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 10:17 pm
What camera did you have and what system did you end up choosing? What was it that had drawn you to it?
I have an Olympus E-M10 and a number of lenses. Weight, size, price and lens selection were big factors in my decision. There are a lot of Olympus, Panasonic and third-party lenses available for M43, at good prices. Very active used market too, which is nice because you can buy a used lens, try it out, and sell it back at little loss if you don't like it.
Oct 6, 2006
335 posts
151 upvotes
Honestly I traded one of my DSLRs for a Sony A6000. Very portable and for its price, amazing quality.

My wife used to shoot Canon so we got an adapter and all her lenses work just fine, but over time she started to use pancakes (Sony) and a couple of primes from sigma. Couldn’t be happier.

That’s my 2 cents.

If we hadn’t gone Sony, it would be the Fuji, they feel great in hand.
:twisted: May your wallet R.I.P :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1844 posts
745 upvotes
ontario
Whizbang wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 10:04 pm
The pro lenses from Olympus appear to be fairly well priced compared to the C/N/S counterparts, from what I can see. The 12-40 (24-80 equiv) is $1050 right now, the closest new Nikon 24-70 f2.8 VR is $3000. So close to being 1/3 the price.. :)
@1400-1600, that gets you into an em1 mk1 + the above lens on the used market with cash left over. quite the combo if you decide m43 is for you. i would go on the various system sites and peruse the image galleries for each format and take it from there.

when i went through this 3-4 years ago, it was down to sony vs olympus. m43 won because of the lens selection & price factor. don't regret the decision.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
37 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 1:37 am
For that price, you can probably grab a new Fuji XT-20 with the lower end (but still pretty good) XC 16-50 kit lens, with some money to spare, or if you push up to the higher range and add a bit, you can get it with the excellent 18-55 kit lens.

If you go the used way, you can probably come away with an XT-20, the kit and maybe a prime.

If you don't absolutely need video then you might even be ok with the X-T1 for around $600 used, and spend the remainder on glass.
Thanks for commenting, @M1GOmigs.

You mention used, where should I look for used camera gear? I'm not entirely sure I trust anything on sites like, ebay, Kijiji, etc.. I'll have to look into the X-T1 specs for a comparison, but I assume it has basic video capability.

Did you have a mirrorless camera? I'm still looking for more subjective qualities and opinions on the different systems.