• May 18th, 2018 7:58 am
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
35 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
Oni-kun wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 10:24 am
You seem to already be well informed but just unable to make a decision. I'm not sure how much help we can provide.
@Oni-kun, I'm informed on the techical side of things for specs, etc.. but I haven't had a chance to play around with the cameras for any real length of time to get a proper feel for them. Henry's doesn't rent out gear, otherwise I would have already gone that route and the rental company that I had used has now gone out of business. Do you have any suggestions for that?

I also value the human experience and opinions of others because I am only one person, and am able to take someones experience and tailor that to my own use case if it applies. There may be someone here on the forums that has switched from the same camera and system who can offer direct comparisons that I may not be inclined to think about prior to purchase.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
35 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 11:25 am
If you prefer portraits I think Fuji has better out of camera colors than Sony at the moment.
Get the XT-20 as suggested by the others.
If it's about future-proofing I would get the upcoming A7III since Sigma is releasing E Mount lenses now.
The Z100 battery on the new Sony's last a day or 3/4 of a day workload.
If there is no chance to up the budget, stick with a used Fuji.
Thanks for commenting, @rebel_rfd.
The X-T20 does look like a good option, and getting it used is something I would consider. I'm just leery of the used market these days with all of the horror stories I have been hearing lately.
I would go with Sony if they didn't have the 'brand' price markup. They are pushing the evolution of cameras which I am thrilled about. But cost of ownership is significantly higher for any quality glass that I would want.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
35 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
aerok wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 12:35 pm
I currently shoot with Fujifilm X-T2 and in 2017 alone, took over 50k shots with it and haven't had much of an issue. I wouldn't use Fuji if I were a sports/wildlife photographer but for almost anything else, it is a workhorse.
Hi @aerok, thanks for the info. Why do you feel that it's not good for sports/wildlife?
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
35 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
Turpentine wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 2:14 pm
I have an Olympus E-M10 and a number of lenses. Weight, size, price and lens selection were big factors in my decision. There are a lot of Olympus, Panasonic and third-party lenses available for M43, at good prices. Very active used market too, which is nice because you can buy a used lens, try it out, and sell it back at little loss if you don't like it.
Those are the reasons that I'm considering m4/3 system. Are there any situations where you feel bottlenecked by the gear? I'm told some low light scenarios are rather difficult with the m4/3 system, but I personally only shoot occasionally in low light and could probably figure out a way to deal with the slow shutter speeds, etc.

Thanks for the info!
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
35 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
Busta wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 2:52 pm
Honestly I traded one of my DSLRs for a Sony A6000. Very portable and for its price, amazing quality.
My wife used to shoot Canon so we got an adapter and all her lenses work just fine, but over time she started to use pancakes (Sony) and a couple of primes from sigma. Couldn’t be happier.
That’s my 2 cents.
If we hadn’t gone Sony, it would be the Fuji, they feel great in hand.
I was looking into the A6000 a few years ago and they already have two new iterations, the A6300 and A6500.. each one with a progressive step forward in their costs.
I could go the adapter route for glass, but it's never the same as using a lens from the catalogue? Is the output similar from system to system with the adapter?
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
35 posts
39 upvotes
York, ON
esoxhntr wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 3:39 pm
@1400-1600, that gets you into an em1 mk1 + the above lens on the used market with cash left over. quite the combo if you decide m43 is for you. i would go on the various system sites and peruse the image galleries for each format and take it from there.
when i went through this 3-4 years ago, it was down to sony vs olympus. m43 won because of the lens selection & price factor. don't regret the decision.
That sounds like a great combination for the price. I wasn't aware that the used prices were so low. Where do you get your used gear? Is there anything that you shoot/come across that you feel the system is the limitation?
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1616 posts
637 upvotes
ontario
Whizbang wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 12:20 pm
That sounds like a great combination for the price. I wasn't aware that the used prices were so low. Where do you get your used gear? Is there anything that you shoot/come across that you feel the system is the limitation?
kijiji, ebay, mu-43.com, b&h etc

where m43 may struggle is low light + moving subjects (without flash). Using a high-end prime lens mitigates this to some degree. low light and still subjects are not an issue because the Image Stabilization is top notch (I'm speaking Olympus, not familiar with Panasonic bodies) - I've taken handheld images at shockingly slow shutter speeds that turned out well.

Keep in mind, I am not a pro shooter and the biggest limitation is behind the camera not the camera/lenses themselves.
Jul 14, 2008
214 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
Whizbang wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 12:12 pm
Those are the reasons that I'm considering m4/3 system. Are there any situations where you feel bottlenecked by the gear? I'm told some low light scenarios are rather difficult with the m4/3 system, but I personally only shoot occasionally in low light and could probably figure out a way to deal with the slow shutter speeds, etc.

Thanks for the info!
Nah, my ability is still lagging behind my tool honestly. And yes, it's really about lenses: look at the Panasonic 12-32 (24-64 full-frame equivalent) and the Panasonic 14-140 (28-280 eq). These are amazingly light, compact yet very sharp lenses for such versatile focal range, for me it makes a huge difference when walking around town or hiking. I so do not regret my bulky DSLR...

Regarding low light, it certainly is the most challenging situation, but that's true in general. I have two fast primes (Panasonic 20/1.7 and Olympus 45/1.8), small and inexpensive lenses that I use when this becomes an issue. This is really only for moving objects though, as the image stabilization and hand-held low-light mode do wonders otherwise.

Back in 2015 when I was looking for a system, I hesitated a lot between the EM10 and the Sony A6000. I think the Sony is a great camera, but quality, price and availability of lenses for m43 won me over. Regarding low light, I researched this a lot and my conclusion was that the advantage of APS-C was too minimal to make a difference in real life. If that's really important to you, then you probably need to go a for full frame mirrorless like the new A7iii.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3437 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto
Whizbang wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks for commenting, @[M1GOmigs].

You mention used, where should I look for used camera gear? I'm not entirely sure I trust anything on sites like, ebay, Kijiji, etc.. I'll have to look into the X-T1 specs for a comparison, but I assume it has basic video capability.

Did you have a mirrorless camera? I'm still looking for more subjective qualities and opinions on the different systems.
I've generally had decent interactions with Fuji people on Kijiji. I find that Fuji sellers are a bit more serious about photography than say the general Canon/Nikon hobbyist sellers because of the higher initial cost in the system. This can be both good and bad. Many novices who will buy a Canon/Nikon on sale at a big box store or Costco then realize they don't know how to use the camera and end up reselling. Some of the Fuji's meanwhile are probably taken care of, but also used more often...

I currently own a Fuji X-T1 but started out with the entry level Fuji X-A1, which still made good pictures. I'm looking to move up to an X-Pro2 but limited by budget. At my workplace, I'm regularly tasked with taking photos, where they've got a few Canon APSC bodies (70D, t2i, t6i) and lenses. We also tried out a Canon mirrorless body a while back but it was really unimpressive. I also shoot film sometimes using and Canon AE1 or A1.

Subjectively, I am in love with the Fuji system. It feels really good to shoot with, and the various physical controls and dials are fun to use. The costs may seem prohibitive, but the out of camera jpegs and the lens selection is superb, even though I only own the 18mm f2 and 35mm f2 prime lenses. I also own a couple lens adapters for m42 and Canon FD lenses. I take photos of my family a lot, and the Fuji Classic Chrome film simulation is amazing for portraiture.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Aug 1, 2010
867 posts
446 upvotes
Montreal
Whizbang wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 12:09 pm
Hi @aerok, thanks for the info. Why do you feel that it's not good for sports/wildlife?
Three important reasons:

- Lens selection is limited for those serious into wildlife/sports, (fast long zooms)
- Not as solid and well weatherproofed compared to DSLRs
- Autofocus not as fast and efficient
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Oct 6, 2006
315 posts
125 upvotes
Whizbang wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 12:18 pm
I was looking into the A6000 a few years ago and they already have two new iterations, the A6300 and A6500.. each one with a progressive step forward in their costs.
I could go the adapter route for glass, but it's never the same as using a lens from the catalogue? Is the output similar from system to system with the adapter?
I dont shoot sports photography much, so AF speeds are not huge for me. none the less it is still fast enough that I get spot on shots.
:twisted: May your wallet R.I.P :twisted:
May 5, 2010
970 posts
278 upvotes
Busta wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 10:02 am
I dont shoot sports photography much, so AF speeds are not huge for me. none the less it is still fast enough that I get spot on shots.
I find my A6000's autofocus struggles indoor at dimmer light. It might also be that I'm on the smallest single focus point. For it's price, I can't recommend it enough.

But to OP who has a bit more budget, stay away from the A6000. While its sensor is as good as many higher end APS-C cameras, the handling is just not pleasant to use. I don't meant to say it's awful. It's just ok. I don't have much fun using it but I like the result of the photos when I look at it on my computer.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3893 posts
420 upvotes
if you want the a7m2 series grip on a crop body, the a6500 might be up your alley as it's also in your budget
but you have to ask if 3x the price is worth the excellent video capabilities, ibis, touchscreen, better ergonomics over an a6000
if you have the dough and not a beginner but the a7iii is out of the question, I'm inclined to think it is
to me it's as futureproof as a 24MP shooter goes...all the extra bells and whistles of upcoming models won't tempt me unless they increase MP for next-gen a7000 series (so I can do 8K time-lapses)
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Sep 21, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
I’ve shot M43 for the last 5 years and am finally putting up the whole system for sale after having a baby. The system includes the well rated Olympus primes (17,25,45) and the 12-40 PRO.

I now need excellent continuous autofocus that can track a moving kid so I am picking up some Sony equipment and have a Sony A5100 with 35mm as a trial. So far it is pretty good but I do miss the image stabilisation of the Olympus cameras. The video on the Sony is quite good too.

It should be noted that I shoot a Nikon D750 with primes for my serious work so the mirrorless system fits a specific need.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3792 posts
904 upvotes
Toronto
Whizbang wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 12:01 pm
@Oni-kun, I'm informed on the techical side of things for specs, etc.. but I haven't had a chance to play around with the cameras for any real length of time to get a proper feel for them. Henry's doesn't rent out gear, otherwise I would have already gone that route and the rental company that I had used has now gone out of business. Do you have any suggestions for that?

I also value the human experience and opinions of others because I am only one person, and am able to take someones experience and tailor that to my own use case if it applies. There may be someone here on the forums that has switched from the same camera and system who can offer direct comparisons that I may not be inclined to think about prior to purchase.
Vistek offers a try and buy service for the Sonys.

Might be worth a look.