Art and Photography

Looking for opinions on mirrorless camera systems

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2018 7:58 am
Aug 3, 2011
783 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
A bit off topic here........anyone pre ordered the sony a7iii.

I am on the edge of it, debating buy now or wait to see how it pans out in the real market.

My sitting on edge is purely an itch or could very well even call as GAS.
May 5, 2010
956 posts
270 upvotes
ritz1010 wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 9:45 pm

I am on the edge of it, debating buy now or wait to see how it pans out in the real market.

I haven't, but after seing all the reviews and the DXOmark' score, I too really want to have one now. But I must resist. I have something else I want and I can't let that sweet amazing piece of tech tempt me.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
2355 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
ritz1010 wrote:

You may need to wait as I preordered mine on amazon about a month and a half ago. They were supposed to arrive today but looks like there's a delay. Not sure for how long but there are few cases in the states where people preordered the A7iii on Amazon US a month or so in advance and their estimated delivery is now mid May..... Hopefully it isn't the same for Canada.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3519 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
Mine came in yesterday, plan on using it for B Roll/Main Strobes Cam with the A7R3.

There is a slight difference in the EVF quality between both, but not too bad.
Aug 3, 2011
783 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
@ Gin Martini........I sold all my for long not in any use A-mount gear to fund it but still kinda not sure. Well decisions decisions decisions.

@ Congeetime.......thanks for the update. But I guess it may be different here in Canada. I called Vistek Mississauga and they had the A7iii + kit lens in stock. As per the sales guy the body alone is not in yet.
Any specific reason you ordered from Amazon ?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1577 posts
203 upvotes
Hi Whizbang,

My 2 cents.

Phone has been my camera for the better part of the last 5 years. Because it has been on me all the time. I searched and never succeeded in finding a camera on a phone with good manual control. Then I decided to dive into the micro 4 third system. Speaking for myself, for a camera to be useful, I would want to carry it with me all the time. I also want something capable and not precious. I don't want to lose sleep over a scratch on it! The best photos are taken when a camera is treated like a tool to be used. The Panasonic G85 fits the bill for me, when I got it on special. I have since been very happy with it and the range of cheapish lens available for it.

Panasonic G85 with the 12-60 kit lens, Olympus 45-150mm lens, Godox wireless flash system, Sirui tripod = about $1600. Next lot of purchase would be a light meter, Godox strobes and studio modifiers (for learning). Then followed by faster prime lenses. I like the fact that the camera is a low cost entity in the setup, that I will be able to buy cheapish camera down the track and still have access to the set up.

FYI, I grew up with film photography and developed 6 x 7 films all through high school as a part time job. First camera was a surprising gift of a Nikon F3 at the age of 13 when it was just launched! Other notable cameras: Contax RTS III, Nikon D200... the Lumix was my first camera in almost 10 years. Both my previous 2 cameras were too heavy to carry around, despite capable, so I missed a lot of shots. I thought Sony would be my camera during the past 10 years but range and accessibility ($) of lens got it taken off my list.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
2355 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 4:22 am
Mine came in yesterday, plan on using it for B Roll/Main Strobes Cam with the A7R3.

There is a slight difference in the EVF quality between both, but not too bad.
Did you order off Amazon too???? My order now says "Shipping soon" with no estimated date...
ritz1010 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 5:33 am
@ Gin Martini........I sold all my for long not in any use A-mount gear to fund it but still kinda not sure. Well decisions decisions decisions.

@ Congeetime.......thanks for the update. But I guess it may be different here in Canada. I called Vistek Mississauga and they had the A7iii + kit lens in stock. As per the sales guy the body alone is not in yet.
Any specific reason you ordered from Amazon ?
I just have a bunch of amazon gift cards I needed to use haha Kind of wish I just stuck with my best buy preorder now.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3519 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
congeetime wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 11:49 am
Did you order off Amazon too???? My order now says "Shipping soon" with no estimated date...
I just have a bunch of amazon gift cards I needed to use haha Kind of wish I just stuck with my best buy preorder now.
I ordered off of Adorama, they accidentally sold a few during the very first hour with the kit lens at the body only pricing.
Aug 3, 2011
783 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Is addition warranties worth buying from Henry’s or Vistek for a high priced item like the a7iii ?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3519 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
ritz1010 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 8:23 pm
Is addition warranties worth buying from Henry’s or Vistek for a high priced item like the a7iii ?
Nope, its not that expensive when compared to A7R3/5D4/D850.

Better to save that money and get a lens or other accessories.

In hindsight, the product selection that Henrys carries is very limited outside of your mainstream cameras.
Aug 3, 2011
783 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
For those using the silent shutter on a7riii/a7iii, how bad is the banding issue ?

Any solutions yet from Sony/or otherwise yet
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3519 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
ritz1010 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 11:06 am
For those using the silent shutter on a7riii/a7iii, how bad is the banding issue ?

Any solutions yet from Sony/or otherwise yet
Not bad on the A7R3, but bad on the A7III.

If shooting paid gigs, don't use the silent shutter indoors, you can risk it but Murphy's Law will catch up with you one day, and you don't want to be explaining why you have bands in every picture to a paying client.

Only solution I would see if rolling shutter like the A9 uses so likely won't be fixed by firmware.

Sony isn't like Fuji when it comes to updating bodies with newer firmware.
Aug 3, 2011
783 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Fuji I remember reading something like changing/modifying hardware to fix a similar issue.
Is Sony in denial as they did not fully fix the a7riii ??
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2606 posts
458 upvotes
ritz1010 wrote:

IF the buy and sells are of any indication....there's a HUGE exodus away from Canon and Nikon...towards Sony just for this A7...happens every release but this is the most insane exodus i've seen.
Aug 3, 2011
783 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Exodus away from Nikon/canon, might as well be.........did not check it myself but this cam for sure is worthy of that.