Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 9, 2013
832 posts
95 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Looking for Optometrist

Hi, any recommendations for good optometrists in Markham area? I checked the one in Pacific Mall, and they are charging $95.

My coverage benefit covers $80, so I'm looking for eye exam within that range. Nothing wrong with my eyes, I think last two years it just got a tiny worse. Just a regular exam will do.
29 replies
Sep 15, 2010
572 posts
181 upvotes
I'm sure you'll see one eventually....
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2298 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
You won't pay $15?! Good lord ....
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1962 posts
263 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Costco was only $75 when I went there in the spring, and it is a very comprehensive exam. Outside of that $95 is pretty much the going rate.

The recommended fee guide of The Ontario Association of Optometrists lists the fee for a comprehensive examination at $95. So unlikely you will find anything for less. You have coverage from work though so you only have to pay a few dollars yourself, not sure what the issue is.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1572 posts
96 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
MrsPotato wrote:
Oct 27th, 2015 5:37 pm
You won't pay $15?! Good lord ....
That's the whole point of RFD.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
756 upvotes
jdu0ng wrote:
Oct 27th, 2015 4:11 pm
Hi, any recommendations for good optometrists in Markham area? I checked the one in Pacific Mall, and they are charging $95.

My coverage benefit covers $80, so I'm looking for eye exam within that range. Nothing wrong with my eyes, I think last two years it just got a tiny worse. Just a regular exam will do.
Wow. These are your eyes. :facepalm:

So you're cheaping out on $15? That's the price of a two can dine at Swiss Chalet. And the last time you said it was 2 years. :facepalm:

I can't wait until the federal government deregulates healthcare. People will go looking for the cheapest family doctor.......welcome to the USA.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10826 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
foodyforlife wrote:
Oct 27th, 2015 10:34 pm
Wow. These are your eyes. :facepalm:

So you're cheaping out on $15? That's the price of a two can dine at Swiss Chalet. And the last time you said it was 2 years. :facepalm:

I can't wait until the federal government deregulates healthcare. People will go looking for the cheapest family doctor.......welcome to the USA.
$75 is all the eye exam is worth (if that) including a field test for that same money. Anything after that is pure profit abuse.
If I paint your house for you, the colours you've requested, does that mean I should be paid as if the home was painted pure gold?

Eyes need to be tested and eye doctors need an honest living, but not a solid emptying of patient's wallets.

The whole "It's only $15" kind of thinking is rather bothersome and disturbing. What the (insurance) companies are willing to pay is exactly what the eye doctor should accept. Simple as that.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16093 posts
1008 upvotes
Woodbridge
Go to Costco on 7 & Weston.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
playnicee1 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2015 12:38 am
$75 is all the eye exam is worth (if that) including a field test for that same money. Anything after that is pure profit abuse.
If I paint your house for you, the colours you've requested, does that mean I should be paid as if the home was painted pure gold?

Eyes need to be tested and eye doctors need an honest living, but not a solid emptying of patient's wallets.

The whole "It's only $15" kind of thinking is rather bothersome and disturbing. What the (insurance) companies are willing to pay is exactly what the eye doctor should accept. Simple as that.
Are optometrists in the wrong for their pricing, or are the insurance companies in the wrong for their pricing.
Who are you to decide what the exam is worth?
With the increasing online sales for glasses (where optometrists make most of their money) I wouldn't doubt that the eye exam prices would increase to accommodate.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10826 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
jrychlik wrote:
Oct 28th, 2015 9:06 am
Are optometrists in the wrong for their pricing, or are the insurance companies in the wrong for their pricing.
Who are you to decide what the exam is worth?
With the increasing online sales for glasses (where optometrists make most of their money) I wouldn't doubt that the eye exam prices would increase to accommodate.
Online sales have nothing to do with it. People have always had the right to take their prescription elsewhere after an eye exam.
The better question is, are insurance companies in line with true and honest inflation?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7232 posts
365 upvotes
To me I am not concern about the $10-15 price difference. However, there are some clinics would ask you do other tests on top of the standard eyes exam. such as field test, eye balls' nerves test, etc. For example, Dr. Albert Ng office at First Markham Place. Does anyone experience the same that they ask you to do other tests which might/might not be covered by any insurance plan?

Of course, they are going to say, those are your eyes, you should do it regardless the price. But is it necessary to do it ? That's the judgement call.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1269 posts
191 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Oct 28th, 2015 11:15 am
To me I am not concern about the $10-15 price difference. However, there are some clinics would ask you do other tests on top of the standard eyes exam. such as field test, eye balls' nerves test, etc. For example, Dr. Albert Ng office at First Markham Place. Does anyone experience the same that they ask you to do other tests which might/might not be covered by any insurance plan?

Of course, they are going to say, those are your eyes, you should do it regardless the price. But is it necessary to do it ? That's the judgement call.
I've been to the same office and I've had to pay out of pocket for these exams. However, at that time I had an infection that caused a lot of pain in my eyes, I would not mind anything that would help diagnose/help.

Personally, you should go to a doctor you can trust. If, under his/her recommendations you need extra tests, you should trust that judgement. If you cannot trust your own doctor for their recommendations, there's no point in going.