• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 4:39 pm
[OP]
Nov 10, 2014
66 posts
19 upvotes
Westmount, QC

Looking for pads and rotors - please tell me what to buy from rockauto

Im looking for front brake pads and rotors for my 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 with 75000 km.
I was thinking of buying the RAYBESTOS professional grade rotors ($32.70 CAD each) total $65.40 CAD with the
RAYBESTOS Enhanced Hybrid Technology (ceramic) break pad set for $44.12 CAD , both from RockAuto.

Any thoughts / comments / and most importantly, suggestions?

Thanks
18 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3664 posts
442 upvotes
MONTR
you don't need ceramics and semi metallics would do just fine and cheaper.
Oct 21, 2006
193 posts
48 upvotes
johhny348395 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:21 pm
Im looking for front brake pads and rotors for my 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 with 75000 km.
I was thinking of buying the RAYBESTOS professional grade rotors ($32.70 CAD each) total $65.40 CAD with the
RAYBESTOS Enhanced Hybrid Technology (ceramic) break pad set for $44.12 CAD , both from RockAuto.

Any thoughts / comments / and most importantly, suggestions?

Thanks
Excellent choice
[OP]
Nov 10, 2014
66 posts
19 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Could you possibly point me towards a set of pads you would suggest? rockauto doesn't seem to have many semi metallic pads. you can look here https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nis ... e+pad,1684

The reason i chose the raybestos pads, despite their price, is because they ship from the same location as the rotors, which saves me about 14 bucks (cdn). I figured for the same price i could get better pads.

Any downsides to ceramics? or just unnecessary. Im looking for long term durability, and hoping the ceramic will last longer without having to pay for a brake job quicker than necessary.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
2569 posts
1745 upvotes
Toronto, ON
johhny348395 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 10:00 pm
Could you possibly point me towards a set of pads you would suggest? rockauto doesn't seem to have many semi metallic pads. you can look here https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nis ... e+pad,1684

The reason i chose the raybestos pads, despite their price, is because they ship from the same location as the rotors, which saves me about 14 bucks (cdn). I figured for the same price i could get better pads.

Any downsides to ceramics? or just unnecessary. Im looking for long term durability, and hoping the ceramic will last longer without having to pay for a brake job quicker than necessary.
You won't notice any significant difference in driving, but ceramics typically have less dust IMO and just a little more expensive. It's a good choice.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3664 posts
442 upvotes
MONTR
johhny348395 wrote:

okay , if it is coming from the same place and saving you money on shipping then go for it.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4664 posts
3223 upvotes
GTA
johhny348395 wrote:

No major downside to ceramics. They should be less dusty, but often a little more expensive and may have less initial bite depending on the brand. Give them a shot. If you don't like them try a different brand next time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5204 posts
1024 upvotes
BC
The Raybestos EHT Hybrid shouldn't be referred to as ceramic - it is a hybrid, of semi-metallic and ceramic.

Probably just as much metallic content as a so-called semi-metallic pad.

If you looked at it alongside an Akebono (ceramic) pad you would see the distinct difference - no coloured flakes in the Akebono.

The 2007 Altima probably came with ceramics (but not Akebonos) and either Akebonos or the Raybestos hybrid pad would probably work equally well.

The Akebonos might be a shade quieter and keep your alloys cleaner, but the single warehouse shipping should win the day.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
2250 posts
1069 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought several sets of Akebono ceramic pads because I was so impressed after the first. They are very quiet, very little brake dust, stop just as good or better than OEM (Honda & Toyota) and long lasting. They are the OEM supplier for many manufacturers. I didn't know about them until I needed some to replace my original pads after 10 years and 120K. They cost a little more ($CAD70/pair at the time) than the others but they are worth it to me as I don't want to replace them as often.
Akebono
Feb 3, 2016
9 posts
6 upvotes
Make sure to use the 5% coupon code that can be found pretty much anywhere on the Internet.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1620 posts
118 upvotes
Ottawa
When ordering from RockAuto do you have it shipped to your home or drive to the border. I live in Ottawa so not sure if it is worth driving to the border to pick it up.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
2250 posts
1069 upvotes
Ottawa
masoud100 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 5:44 am
When ordering from RockAuto do you have it shipped to your home or drive to the border. I live in Ottawa so not sure if it is worth driving to the border to pick it up.
They'll do both. Just try different scenarios and see which one is more economical. The shipping cost also depends on the item/stock location. Sometimes it's cheaper to get the parts from Rockauto or Amazon US and sometimes it's cheaper to get them from Canada (Amazon, thewrenchmonkey.ca,etc.)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7231 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
gumby wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 9:19 am
They'll do both. Just try different scenarios and see which one is more economical. The shipping cost also depends on the item/stock location. Sometimes it's cheaper to get the parts from Rockauto or Amazon US and sometimes it's cheaper to get them from Canada (Amazon, thewrenchmonkey.ca,etc.)
+1.

FWIW, I just got Centric rotors and Akebono ASP pads after using Toyota/Lexus OEM. Quality has gone downhill on the OEM parts, I am swapping pads and rotors more now than when I got the car 8 years ago....and my driving has...."calmed"....in this same period.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15887 posts
4542 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I run centric high carbon rotors and stop tech ceramic pads. Good performance and good price imo
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game