Computers & Electronics

Looking for Panasonic TC-65VT60 plasma - buy now, wait for Xmas?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2014 12:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
2021 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan

Looking for Panasonic TC-65VT60 plasma - buy now, wait for Xmas?

With Panasonic exiting plasma production early next year I want to get their 65" VT60 series so I can enjoy great picture quality while new technologies establish themselves in the coming years..
Panasonic Canada website has it at MSRP $3999.
Amazon USA sells it for $2700 with free shipping.
Do you think some store may offer a discount worth waiting till Xmas or Boxing day?
Anyone has seen any decent deals in Canada?
Thanks in advance!
50 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3583 posts
2275 upvotes
Mississauga
fooit wrote: With Panasonic exiting plasma production early next year I want to get their 65" VT60 series so I can enjoy great picture quality while new technologies establish themselves in the coming years..
Panasonic Canada website has it at MSRP $3999.
Amazon USA sells it for $2700 with free shipping.
Do you think some store may offer a discount worth waiting till Xmas or Boxing day?
Anyone has seen any decent deals in Canada?
Thanks in advance!
worth waiting; what are the chances that the price increases?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
2044 posts
637 upvotes
BC
For such an expensive piece of equipment remember that US TVs are not warrantied in Canada.
I purchase the exact same unit, BNIB, on Craigs List, from Seattle (private buy) for $2500, no taxes. The Canadian Customs waved me through. I waited at the Border until the line was real long and then proceeded. So far its fine but Panasonic Canada told me I would have to take it to the US for repairs or pay over here.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
2021 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
insync44 wrote: For such an expensive piece of equipment remember that US TVs are not warrantied in Canada.
I purchase the exact same unit, BNIB, on Craigs List, from Seattle (private buy) for $2500, no taxes. The Canadian Customs waved me through. I waited at the Border until the line was real long and then proceeded. So far its fine but Panasonic Canada told me I would have to take it to the US for repairs or pay over here.
Yes, I understand this and this is why I am more inclined to pay more and get it from a Canadian authorized retailer.
I just don't want to pay that much more.
Also you got a good deal and got very lucky at the border.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
if you really want it then i would grab it since it could be sold out by Black Friday. Only other suggestion is to buy from a place that has a price match for 15-30 days so if it goes on sale after you bought it you can the amount lowered. does Costco carry this TV? if so i would consider buying through them for 90 day return and 2 year concierge warranty that can be upgraded for cheap.

I personally wouldn't buy a TV from a web only store in case there are problems(which can happen a lot with TV's) or your not happy with it since the return costs would be enormous. same issue with buying from newegg with anything over a couple of pounds.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
+1 on all of Keas points

Panasonic already announced that they're exiting the Plasma TV game altogether. Grab one while you still can and don't worry too much about pricing as it won't likely fluctuate that much before xmas unless you plan to wait until the closeouts.

The VT60 is a great set.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If past history is any indication, the Panasonic Plasmas sell out really fast with the popular models disappearing well before Christmas. So, if you want one, get one now.
Apr 4, 2012
627 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
What is the best price you seen it for in canada? I saw it for 3250 at golden electronics, not sure if best price in Canada but a lot lower than the MSPR
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
2021 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
nataliya64605 wrote: What is the best price you seen it for in canada? I saw it for 3250 at golden electronics, not sure if best price in Canada but a lot lower than the MSPR
Yes, that's the best deal advertised online and hopefully with some legwork it could be beaten :)
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
2021 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
Anyone else shopping for the same plasma? Got any quotes? Please share here or in PM.
Apr 4, 2012
627 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
Did you try price matching with best buy or futureshop? They also have the price match guarantee extended till post new years if you purchase after November 1.

And with production ending next month, at the latest, supply is going to be getting low. I saw a lot more stores carrying the VT50 in February of this year than the VT60 now.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
2044 posts
637 upvotes
BC
AFAIK Costco seems to carry every brand except Panasonic. At least my Branch in Richmond does. The most popular is Samsung. I've got two Plasmas a 65" VT and a 65"ST. IMO, the ST is the better buy and cheaper.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2535 upvotes
Markham, ON
insync44 wrote: For such an expensive piece of equipment remember that US TVs are not warrantied in Canada.
btw...Panasonics only guarantee 1 year in Canada...not really a big deal.

Remember to buy with a double time warranty credit card paid in full and NO GIFT CARD

my GT30 had a defective board that cost $500+ to replace at only 18months...luckily my MBNA card reimbursed in FULL :razz:
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
insync44 wrote: AFAIK Costco seems to carry every brand except Panasonic. At least my Branch in Richmond does. The most popular is Samsung. I've got two Plasmas a 65" VT and a 65"ST. IMO, the ST is the better buy and cheaper.
I'd call around to the other Costco's since when i was looking for a TV last i found each one had different TV's to offer. They only have 1 60' plasma on Costco.ca for $1339.99 and says it can be found for cheaper at some local Costco stores. doesn't have 3d but frankly i find that a good thing - does have smart TV. Also if you do find one check around other places and if you find it cheaper get it PM'd.

Since you were going to buy from amazon.com in the US you may try Costco.com in the states . i think the warranty is covered in Canada (the concierge service) but probably would have to check to make sure - at least if you didn't like it you could return it to any local store in 90 days.

Have you found that TV or similar at Best Buy,FS or even London Drugs?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
2021 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
nataliya64605 wrote: Did you try price matching with best buy or futureshop? They also have the price match guarantee extended till post new years if you purchase after November 1.

And with production ending next month, at the latest, supply is going to be getting low. I saw a lot more stores carrying the VT50 in February of this year than the VT60 now.
Yes, confirmed, FS will beat the price by 10%, so as long as that offer is available online one can walk into FS and get this TV for $3175 + ESF $39.50 + tax.
FS website shows just 5 units available right now.
Apr 4, 2012
627 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
I know you said you don't want to purchase from the states but just an FYI, you can get the same model for 2299 at Pauls tv near Detroit(they have other locations, and an online store, promo code FALL27). So if you are near the area it might be worth calling them and seeing how they handle returns/warranties for Canadian customers, I'm sure they get plenty consumers from the Windsor area.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
2021 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
nataliya64605 wrote: I know you said you don't want to purchase from the states but just an FYI, you can get the same model for 2299 at Pauls tv near Detroit(they have other locations, and an online store, promo code FALL27). So if you are near the area it might be worth calling them and seeing how they handle returns/warranties for Canadian customers, I'm sure they get plenty consumers from the Windsor area.
It is tempting, but if my calculations are right and taking into account that one will most likely have to pay 13% HST at the border there's not much savings and lots of headache...
((($2300 + 6% MI tax) + 13% ON tax) + 5% US to CAD conversion) = CAD$ 2892.00, say $2900
Rent a VAN at Uhaul as this TV won't fit into SUV or a minivan + 4 hours each way drive from Toronto + gas + food + time = CAD$ 200? 300? priceless?
If you are waived at the border (unlikely) and no problem with the TV (very likely) - great!
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
fooit wrote: It is tempting, but if my calculations are right and taking into account that one will most likely have to pay 13% HST at the border there's not much savings and lots of headache...
((($2300 + 6% MI tax) + 13% ON tax) + 5% US to CAD conversion) = CAD$ 2892.00, say $2900
Rent a VAN at Uhaul as this TV won't fit into SUV or a minivan + 4 hours each way drive from Toronto + gas + food + time = CAD$ 200? 300? priceless?
If you are waived at the border (unlikely) and no problem with the TV (very likely) - great!
yea it really only makes sense if your going down for a trip and can get a huge chunk of the duty fee's taken away from being down there a week - i think though the most is $800 that can be duty free so you would still be paying quite a lot on taxes plus if you do have issues you would need to rent a uhaul again or something to get it across the border for warranty.

anyway hope you find what your looking for cheap and without issues :)
Apr 4, 2012
627 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
You're right, less of a deal if you have to rent a vehicle. You can save the american tax if you ship it to NY and use an amerifriend. We'll never see deals as good as what they have in the states on high end large screen TV's. But I would also go to the Golden electronics store, and even Star Electronics (from my experience i got some good deals from haggling with them before, maybe others have some additional suggestions) and seeing if they can bring the price down even further, perhaps a shade under 3000. But even the 3175 you listed would be a great Canadian deal.
Nov 21, 2007
336 posts
62 upvotes
Antigonish County, N…
Hi

I too am looking at this model. Amazon.com wont ship to Canada on this product. Abe’s of Maine will. (Pauls’ will not )

Abe's of Maine have it for $2385 plus about $100 shipping. FS is at $4000.

I’d like to wait until 2014 but like others am worried about inventory depleting.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)