• Sep 15th, 2018 6:55 pm
[OP]
Apr 27, 2015
159 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON

looking for a plumber - markham

Hi,

Just found out that the main shut-off water value does not work. Does anyone know of a good plumber to recommend in the Markham area? How much will it cost? Thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3288 posts
688 upvotes
nkit88 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 2:18 pm
Hi,

Just found out that the main shut-off water value does not work. Does anyone know of a good plumber to recommend in the Markham area? How much will it cost? Thanks
Just a tip. Call the city to ‘test’ the curb stop (outside water shutoff) to make sure it’s working before calling a plumber. (This is usually free)
Some plumbers will have the key to do this, but legally aren’t allowed because it’s owned by the city unless it’s on private property or an unassumed road.

The last thing you want is to call a plumber and have him come out and the city curb stop doesent shut off (this happens all to often)

Also, you will have to coordinate the city to come out to actually shut off, and turn back on the water at the curb stop. (There is a charge for this )
This will also factor into the cost of valve replacement as the plumber is not legally allowed and shouldn’t do this for you.

Make sure that you insist on a full port ball valve as your replacement as well
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Apr 27, 2015
159 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the advice. We will have to call the city to found the curb stop (it was not visible outside). Th reason how i found out is because they are installing new water meter readers in our area.

I'm going to check the main shutoff valve myself and see if it really doesnt work. Is it as simple as turning off the valve and if no water comes out from the taps then i can assume it works?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3288 posts
688 upvotes
nkit88 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 5:24 pm
Thanks for the advice. We will have to call the city to found the curb stop (it was not visible outside). Th reason how i found out is because they are installing new water meter readers in our area.

I'm going to check the main shutoff valve myself and see if it really doesnt work. Is it as simple as turning off the valve and if no water comes out from the taps then i can assume it works?
Yes, pretty much.
Turn it off all the way and open up a faucet close by and make sure the meter dial isn’t turning
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Apr 27, 2015
159 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I tried it myself and it is in fact not shutting off the water fully. I emailed a few places off home stars and will see what happens, Do you know how much these things cost?

Red_Army wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 5:28 pm
Yes, pretty much.
Turn it off all the way and open up a faucet close by and make sure the meter dial isn’t turning
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3288 posts
688 upvotes
nkit88 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 6:35 pm
I tried it myself and it is in fact not shutting off the water fully. I emailed a few places off home stars and will see what happens, Do you know how much these things cost?
Sorry but I don’t advise on prices

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)