• Oct 18th, 2012 12:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes

Looking for quiet car

I may have to buy/lease a new car in the near future. My main criterion now (after price) for a car is quietness. I am tired of road and wind noise at highway speeds, especially on 407. I know that the quietest cars are expensive but I am looking to something under or around $30K. So I narrowed down to Altima and Camry. Can you comment how quiet are they? Any other suggestion?
56 replies
Nov 3, 2005
269 posts
29 upvotes
Between Altima/Camry, the Camry should be significantly quieter. Nissan's were never known to be quiet nor as reliable as Toyotas.... If you're willing to venture into Domestic makes, Almost every domestic model is quieter/more solid on the highway compared to their import peers. But again, they're not as reliable. Have fun shopping!!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
arm2000 wrote: I may have to buy/lease a new car in the near future. My main criterion now (after price) for a car is quietness. I am tired of road and wind noise at highway speeds, especially on 407. I know that the quietest cars are expensive but I am looking to something under or around $30K. So I narrowed down to Altima and Camry. Can you comment how quiet are they? Any other suggestion?

If " quiet " is a big issue for you, for $30K, I'd take it one up from a Camry and get a used Lexus ES350.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
The accord is pretty quiet too. Also, you will want the bigger V6 engine instead of the I4.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
phil17 wrote: Between Altima/Camry, the Camry should be significantly quieter. Nissan's were never known to be quiet nor as reliable as Toyotas.... If you're willing to venture into Domestic makes, Almost every domestic model is quieter/more solid on the highway compared to their import peers. But again, they're not as reliable. Have fun shopping!!

Well, according to CR for Altima: "The cabin is one of the quietest among family sedans". Also, when tested Camry they say the latest model lost some of the quietness it used to have. What domestic cars are you talking about?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
poedua wrote: If " quiet " is a big issue for you, for $30K, I'd take it one up from a Camry and get a used Lexus ES350.

I am thinking of that but I'd like to look for a new car first. Also used car means no lease.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
mucat wrote: The accord is pretty quiet too. Also, you will want the bigger V6 engine instead of the I4.

Accord is not quiet. Maybe at low speeds. Bigger or small engine I don't think it makes too much difference. I found that the engine noise is not that important compared with road and wind noise.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
arm2000 wrote: Accord is not quiet. Maybe at low speeds. Bigger or small engine I don't think it makes too much difference. I found that the engine noise is not that important compared with road and wind noise.

I had the 03 Accord V6 and it was quiet. With bigger engine, the engine will not have to work as hard, so it will be quieter.
But yes, road and wind noises are more important on highway.

The easier thing for OP to do is testdrive all of them.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
booblehead wrote: B u i c k !!

Buicks are sensibly more expensive than Altima/Camry, actually only Regal and the new Verano are in my price range. And the Regal has the same mark (4) for noise as Altime/Camry so I don't know if it's really worth the price difference. But maybe someone could comment about this from his experience.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
I think tires matter more. Invest in better tires as the factory offerings are typically not good in any respect.

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 comes to mind, among others.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
KorruptioN wrote: I think tires matter more. Invest in better tires as the factory offerings are typically not good in any respect.

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 comes to mind, among others.

Could be, but when choosing tires I am generally looking for other things (brake distance, seasonality ...). A less noisy tire is not necessarily a better tire. Also, not all tires fit any car, for example I couldn't find Michelin Primacy Alpine for my car.
Sep 8, 2009
374 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
an altima owner's opinion: camry should be quieter. Otherwise a great car, my altima has had a few issues with wind noise from the door. Also, you mentioned highway speeds so it might not matter but the CVT at low speeds and cold mornings is quite noisy (think diesel but not as bad).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
964 upvotes
Camry V6 is very quiet for a regular car. I sometimes drive one and when I honked the horn I can hardly hear it from inside. So its pretty quiet.

I have an Accord too, its much louder.

The Lexus cars are quieter even still, you cant even tell if the car is running when you are inside...you can get a nice used ES for 30,000 no problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1737 posts
565 upvotes
Driving on the concrete portions of the 407 are brutal in terms of noise that resonates into the cabin no matter what car you have. As with the other posters look for a used Lexus or Cadillac, if your looking into buying new the Camry or Accord are pretty good.

Tire choice is also very important the Michelin MXV4 Primacy or Bridgestone Turanza EL400.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Kenneth wrote: Tire choice is also very important the Michelin MXV4 Primacy or Bridgestone Turanza EL400.

The Turanza EL400s are terrible tires.
Deal with it.
Dec 11, 2011
650 posts
64 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
get a maybach. at 120kmh, u can even hear your hair grow.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
1225 posts
580 upvotes
Richmond Hill
camry
Buick
Mercedes, even cheap A-B class
Lexus
some volvos

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)