Travel

Looking for resort for handicapped 10 yr. old.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 10:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1576 posts
130 upvotes

Looking for resort for handicapped 10 yr. old.

Hello All,

My niece has a set of twin boys 9 yrs. old. One was born handicapped. He has no mobility below either knee and very minimal muscles there as well. She's looking for a resort/facility that is knowledgable and is able to deal compassionately with her issues. Below is her post on Face Book. He's wheelchair bound. They live in the US, but would travel anywhere to have a vacation with the boys. They are a wonderful family and could use the help. Their budget is open. They are comfortable in life and willing to spend to create memories and good times.

"I'm looking for travel agent that is familiar with resorts with accessibility and handicap rooms. looking to book for march break and have been very frustrated with calling hotels and them not even knowing what accessible rooms are. Please do not respond if you have not booked for handicap travellers."

I thought our community would have a good chance of helping her out. I'm not looking for a travel agent, although I'd be happy to forward any information about one, rather recommendation or suggestions from travellers who've got some experience with this type of booking. Sun, Water and Fun resorts would be great. He's a wonderful swimmer.

Thanks All,
5 replies
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3383 posts
435 upvotes
parents and people with similar problems would have the most experience (and info) , are there any "support forums" for people with similar problems ?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1013 posts
147 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Canto del Sol in Puerto Vallarta is wheelchair friendly, we went there a few years ago with my BIL who's in a wheelchair, Not the fanciest resort, but I'm not sure what they're looking for?

I also remember seeing big beach wheelchairs at the Catalonia Playa Maroma 9 years ago ( the ones that are specifically designed for going through deep sand) and special spots with umbrellas on the beach, that were designated for wheelchair users. The Catalonia is at the Mayan Riviera.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1013 posts
147 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Canto del Sol in Puerto Vallarta is wheelchair friendly, we went there a few years ago with my BIL who's in a wheelchair, Not the fanciest resort, but I'm not sure what they're looking for?

I also remember seeing big beach wheelchairs at the Catalonia Playa Maroma 9 years ago ( the ones that are specifically designed for going through deep sand) and special spots with umbrellas on the beach, that were designated for wheelchair users. The Catalonia is at the Mayan Riviera.
Feb 7, 2017
729 posts
384 upvotes
lubmar wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 2:27 pm
parents and people with similar problems would have the most experience (and info) , are there any "support forums" for people with similar problems ?
This.

Although RFD is a great community with lots of helpful folks... Your family would be much better off finding a support forum more geared to this issue.

Cause an able bodied person telling you XYZ is accessible or one has seen beach wheelchairs etc, just isn't the same as first hand experience.

Example, many cruise ships have pool lifts for getting disabled people in & out of pools... But because of the very nature of cruising, getting around for folks in wheelchairs (narrow hallways, crowded elevators, emergency procedures) ... I would be hard pressed to recommend that type of vacation

Good luck in your research... I KNOW you'll find what you need somewhere on the www. This is truly when the Internet is at its best.
ADD - Here's a thought to get you started... I beleve TripAdvisor has a Disabled Travel Forum, I'll see if I can find the link

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ListForums-g1-World.html
Click on Travelling with Disabilities
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1962 posts
263 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
San Antonio and Morgan's Wonderland would be perfect for what they are looking for http://www.morganswonderland.com/ Morgan's website also suggests hotels so they don;t have to worry about accessibility with the accommodations