Computers & Electronics

Looking for router recommendations

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2014 7:10 pm
Feb 27, 2003
948 posts
974 upvotes
Langley
Sinyk wrote: Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was really looking for one I could get locally, so I am a bit restricted to more of the big box stores.

So far the R7000 is working great. The white LEDs on top though are way too bright. I'm deciding if I want to cover them up or move my router somewhere else. Some reviews and forums I read mentioned that range/signal strength were better on routers with external antennas, so I was only really looking for ones in that style, like the RT-N66U. The AC56U or the N56U both have internal antennas, but I may give them a try to appease my curiosity. If a $90 router gives me the same performance of a $175 one, then I may make the swap.
I know it's a dead thread, but just wanted to chime in in case anyone else searches or google-fu's through this way.. you can turn off the LEDs in the routers' settings page..it's like night and day - figuratively speaking ;)
Xphile. (as in 'X-files aficionado'..so yeah, I guess I am old..)
Jun 2, 2011
295 posts
55 upvotes
I have a similar problem where the signal/speed is fine on the one floor but weak on the others. The tv/internet go through the router so I cant change it....would a range extender work?