• May 3rd, 2016 10:29 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3199 posts
2222 upvotes
ontario
We have an English Cocker spaniel and couldn't be happier. Great temperment and perfect size. Not small and not big. He and our son were born within months of each other and have grown up together. They are now both 4 and sometimes too much like brothers

Only downside is grooming requirement but we have learned to clip him ourselves. He's not a show dog so a fancy cut is not necessary and keeping him clipped short works well since we/he spends a lot of time outdoors in the bush
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
My biggest concern is about my little one, she is 15 months and I'd like to have a dog that does not harm her.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2010
1095 posts
322 upvotes
As a previously reluctant dog owner, the best advice I received was from the employees at the local government animal shelter (eg Toronto Animal Services equivalent in your area). They helped me break down the myths that exist about small dogs, big dogs, activity, etc. They can help you find an appropriate dog for your family - and it could be a surprise because mixed breeds dogs are just as lovely, some taking the best traits of their origins and combining.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
amiratish wrote: My biggest concern is about my little one, she is 15 months and I'd like to have a dog that does not harm her.
A 15 month old should never ever be left alone with any dog, no matter the breed, age, size, etc., for both her safety and the dog's. So you will ultimately be in control of that, no matter what kind of dog you get.

Dogs aren't aggressive by nature. Some are better family dogs than others, but it all comes down to the daily interaction you and your family have with it, how you treat it, train it.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
Beachdown wrote: A 15 month old should never ever be left alone with any dog, no matter the breed, age, size, etc., for both her safety and the dog's. So you will ultimately be in control of that, no matter what kind of dog you get.

Dogs aren't aggressive by nature. Some are better family dogs than others, but it all comes down to the daily interaction you and your family have with it, how you treat it, train it.
I did not mean to left them alone, but as far as they are living under the same roof, it might be some occasional that they might be alone in a room or ...
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
amiratish wrote: I did not mean to left them alone, but as far as they are living under the same roof, it might be some occasional that they might be alone in a room or ...
As mentioned above, NO dog has a 100% guarantee -
Regardless of training Ect. They're animals right!?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
MrsPotato wrote: As mentioned above, NO dog has a 100% guarantee -
Regardless of training Ect. They're animals right!?
I here you, BTW nice picture, is that yours?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
amiratish wrote: I here you, BTW nice picture, is that yours?
Yes :) that's my older Doberman, who's 8.

I ado have a younger dobe, a red boy, who's 2 ...
They keep me very very busy ;)
Working breeds are challenging but they're my substitute to children :)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
amiratish wrote: I did not mean to left them alone, but as far as they are living under the same roof, it might be some occasional that they might be alone in a room or ...
I realize that, I only meant that as MrsPotato said, there is never a 100% guarantee with any dog. You need to train both the dog and your children. Have you ever seen one of those videos of someones kid crawling all over a dog and people talking about what a great dog they have and how cute it is? It's not cute and is actually dangerous. The best trained dog can turn on a child that is either too young to know boundaries or has not been told how to interact with a dog. I've had kids at my house who thought it was okay to pull my dog's tail, grab their ears, etc. and while one is extremely passive, I wouldn't even trust him not to snap at any given moment.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Chickinvic wrote: Try a good animal rescue society. You can get some really great dogs from rescue - and they should be able to tell you a lot about the dog's personality/habits based on information from their foster families.
This is good advice.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
Beachdown wrote: I realize that, I only meant that as MrsPotato said, there is never a 100% guarantee with any dog. You need to train both the dog and your children. Have you ever seen one of those videos of someones kid crawling all over a dog and people talking about what a great dog they have and how cute it is? It's not cute and is actually dangerous. The best trained dog can turn on a child that is either too young to know boundaries or has not been told how to interact with a dog. I've had kids at my house who thought it was okay to pull my dog's tail, grab their ears, etc. and while one is extremely passive, I wouldn't even trust him not to snap at any given moment.
many thanks for the comments
I think it would be better to wait at least for couple of months till the little one grows up a little bit
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
Chickinvic wrote: Try a good animal rescue society. You can get some really great dogs from rescue - and they should be able to tell you a lot about the dog's personality/habits based on information from their foster families.
Thanks I will talk to them to get more advice

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)