• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2018 9:18 pm
[OP]
Nov 3, 2014
64 posts
18 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Looking for some help on good running watches under $400

I just want something to start tracking my distance and pace since I'm running 5x a week now. Not really interested in anything else as far as what information it can give me. I don't listen to music or run on trails much. I also do not have internet access on my phone so I am looking to keep my stats on my laptop if that is possible.

So far I am eyeing the Garmin 235, but maybe there is a cheaper option. Its my first running watch so I am completely out of touch with the tech.

Any insights/opinions is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
2979 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
ThomasHunter wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 8:24 am
I also do not have internet access on my phone
You are aware that generally, a phone does not require Internet access in order to use GPS, right?

If your phone does not have GPS, it might be worth considering getting a new phone. My Moto G was practically free two years ago thanks to a PC/Koodo promotion.
Apr 1, 2015
307 posts
89 upvotes
Oakville
i got my garmin 235 off amazon.ca for roughly 200$ (after some price errors/compensation). they are refurbished units under warranty coverage through garmin (same warranty provided for a new unit) so its a pretty safe buy, especially considering how much they go for in stores here (usually 350+). they have several different models so i would give them a try

the unit i got seemed new, so it mustve been a display unit---still sealed in packaging with no signs of prior use. good luck watch hunting!

as far as keeping your running stats/mileage, the garmin connect software is very easy to use... and you can also link it through strava or whatever else if you prefer the display of other platforms. i used to use my phone with strava since it has GLONASS (gps signal) and it worked fine... but carrying it is a bit of a pain in the ass, especially through the rain/winter seasons
Jun 13, 2005
85 posts
120 upvotes
Belleville
Garmin Vivosmart HR+ will do everything you need + heart rate.
$149 at Amazon.ca
if you can get package in the US,
Buydig $59 US
I just got two from Buydig (shipped to Kinek.com point) work perfect.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2014
64 posts
18 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Really appreciate the info MattSF and labrite. I actually did decide on two which where the Garmin Forerunner 235 and the Vivosmart last week. Ended up getting the 235 because of the price point and it seemed more in tuned with being a pure running watch. Vivosmart HR+ is no slouch though and I almost went with that one instead.

Thanks