Looking for some long lasting treats

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2018 2:46 am
[OP]
Jun 27, 2009
268 posts
15 upvotes

Looking for some long lasting treats

long time lurker, first time poster on this thread.

I have a soon to be 4 year old Min Pin that i'm looking to try to keep busy at night and am looking for long lasting or interactive toys that will keep her occupied

She will chew on some soft fluffy stuffed animals but maybe an hour tops. Same goes for Elk antlers, nylabones etc.

The only things that will keep her occupied are food driven toys/treats. Bullysticks she goes nuts over but i only give them to her once a week as i'm not sure if they should be given daily. Those will last maybe 2-2.5 hours before it gets too small and i take it away.

I've also used Kongs with the spray paste but as i have some family that are allergic to peanuts/peanut butter, i've refrained from using that in a frozen kong.

any other suggestions be it homemade or store bought?
7 replies
Jan 16, 2007
850 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
onslaught192 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 5:59 pm
long time lurker, first time poster on this thread.

I have a soon to be 4 year old Min Pin that i'm looking to try to keep busy at night and am looking for long lasting or interactive toys that will keep her occupied

She will chew on some soft fluffy stuffed animals but maybe an hour tops. Same goes for Elk antlers, nylabones etc.

The only things that will keep her occupied are food driven toys/treats. Bullysticks she goes nuts over but i only give them to her once a week as i'm not sure if they should be given daily. Those will last maybe 2-2.5 hours before it gets too small and i take it away.

I've also used Kongs with the spray paste but as i have some family that are allergic to peanuts/peanut butter, i've refrained from using that in a frozen kong.

any other suggestions be it homemade or store bought?
Why do you need to keep it busy for hours? Toys are no substitute for personal attention.

You've pretty much named all the treats and toys that can be given to a dog to keep it busy. My dog would chew on an antler bone for 15 min and gets tired afterwards and sleeps.
If you're not gonna personally keep it busy, just let it sleep.

One other thing is the Himalayan Chews, but like Bullysticks it's won't last long and is kind of expensive.
[OP]
Jun 27, 2009
268 posts
15 upvotes
NubNub wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 6:55 pm
Why do you need to keep it busy for hours? Toys are no substitute for personal attention.

You've pretty much named all the treats and toys that can be given to a dog to keep it busy. My dog would chew on an antler bone for 15 min and gets tired afterwards and sleeps.
If you're not gonna personally keep it busy, just let it sleep.

One other thing is the Himalayan Chews, but like Bullysticks it's won't last long and is kind of expensive.
don't get me wrong....she gets plenty of attention and affection when i get home from work.....figured i could maybe keep her engaged in some kind of activity (physical or mental) rather than just sleep all day and night

maybe something like this?? https://www.petsmart.ca/dog/toys/starma ... gid=100411
Jan 16, 2007
850 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
Thing is, these chew toys that breaks down should never be given to a dog unsupervised. Choking hazard. My dog never plays with his toys when left alone and I never give him the really valuable chews toys/treats like Antler bone, Himalayan Chews or Bullysticks when alone.
The toys that don't break down like Kongs and other like it he lose interest in them pretty quick.
Feb 10, 2008
578 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Try the raw marrow bones. We give them to our dog while they are still frozen and it takes him quite a while to get through them. They come in bags in the freezer section. We get ours at Pet Valu.
Mar 5, 2008
348 posts
36 upvotes
imo if these toys can keep your dog busy for 2 hours i'd say thats a success
i would try increasing the amount of exercise at this point, that may help make the pet more chilled out towards the end of the day
[OP]
Jun 27, 2009
268 posts
15 upvotes
NubNub wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 11:49 pm
Thing is, these chew toys that breaks down should never be given to a dog unsupervised. Choking hazard. My dog never plays with his toys when left alone and I never give him the really valuable chews toys/treats like Antler bone, Himalayan Chews or Bullysticks when alone.
The toys that don't break down like Kongs and other like it he lose interest in them pretty quick.
Agreed...i never leave anything around that could be a choking hazard.

I haven't used a treat ball since she was a puppy. After a few weeks, she would totally ignore the ball when i put her food in it and wouldn't even attempt to get anything out, so i had to stop feeding her with it.

Most of the day, she just sleeps on the couch so i was looking for a way to reduce the "boredom" feeling especially if more exercise is not possible due to weather concerns or work related situations. Maybe it's just me thinking or getting that guilty feeling that she's bored or i'm not doing enough on my part...she could be perfectly happy for all i know. The attitude and temperament are excellent.