Home & Garden

Looking for specific trim that may not be avail- hopefully someone recognizes it.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 6:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1751 posts
137 upvotes

Looking for specific trim that may not be avail- hopefully someone recognizes it.

Sorry for the long title, but as it says, I hope someone has seen this trim somewhere before and can lead me to the store that sells it.

I can confirm that HD, Lowe’s, and Fairbanks will not have it. Hopefully there are other stores that carry this type of trim?

In the pic there are two pcs. The main one is the trim, and the bottom piece is added on. One of the pics shows a missing trim. It’s because I widened the closet door and now the original trim went missing.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Images
  • 8FEDD221-A0FE-4B5B-A14B-371DA9929F75.jpeg
  • DAAF5008-077D-4F07-95B4-8C8335A70D92.jpeg
  • 125AB6EB-5A84-4419-9A56-7E84A83B41AE.jpeg
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
8 replies
Sep 2, 2005
678 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
rex lumber should have it.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2230 posts
203 upvotes
North York
That add on piece looks really similar to stuff I've bought at central Fairbanks, wasn't considered trim though, maybe shoe mold?

The old looks hard to match, CF will make a custom knife & trim for you, but I don't know cost or min purchase. Maybe search through some router bits, might be able to make something similar if you get lucky.

Worst case, is there trim in a closet you can repurpose for the room (and throw non matching stuff back in the closet where you won't see it much)
May 13, 2007
118 posts
52 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
cliff wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:17 pm
The old looks hard to match,
Worst case, is there trim in a closet you can repurpose for the room (and throw non matching stuff back in the closet where you won't see it much)
I also suspect this moulding is from another era - not readily available today. Cliff's idea of removing a piece from an obscure place in your home is the cheapest option imo.
Another option might be to find a CNC wood operation that could create a match.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1290 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
I know for a fact you can get the shoe moulding at Central Fairbanks - I got samples of it.

Odds are they have the baseboard too. Check their website, they have all the profiles
May 13, 2007
118 posts
52 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
jacquesstrap wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 7:57 pm
I know for a fact you can get the shoe moulding at Central Fairbanks - I got samples of it.
Odds are they have the baseboard too. Check their website, they have all the profiles
This is where the benefits of GTA really shine. The coventry profile looks doable although their stock items look to be ¾" x 4½" and 5½".
To have access to this variety w/o shipping to the boonies is amazing.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3815 posts
1112 upvotes
Ottawa
How old is this house? That appears to be pine baseboard moulding - and it's tall and has quite a bit of detail. Anything can be remade but consider the suggestion of canibalizing from elsewhere in the house and/or going to a good woodworker or mill to have a piece remade. I've had to make mouldings for my house but they're far simpler than what you have.