Looking for suggestions: documents exchange with clients

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2018 4:39 pm
[OP]
Aug 15, 2006
28 posts
1 upvote

Looking for suggestions: documents exchange with clients

I've started a small accounting business on the side where I keep the books and do other services for a handful of clients. I'm employed elsewhere full time.

It's becoming a little more inconvenient then I would like to meet with my clients each month to get there documents, receipts, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can arrange some sort of secure drop off location where they can bring the documents and their convenience and I can pick them up at mine? I considered providing them postage paid envelopes to mail them to me but I'm concerned about a package getting lost and their original receipts lost forever. I'm in Windsor Ontario.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1050 posts
376 upvotes
rob0829 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 6:52 pm
I've started a small accounting business on the side where I keep the books and do other services for a handful of clients. I'm employed elsewhere full time.

It's becoming a little more inconvenient then I would like to meet with my clients each month to get there documents, receipts, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can arrange some sort of secure drop off location where they can bring the documents and their convenience and I can pick them up at mine? I considered providing them postage paid envelopes to mail them to me but I'm concerned about a package getting lost and their original receipts lost forever. I'm in Windsor Ontario.
The Drop (2014)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1600196/vi ... v_vi_aiv_1

Cheers!
Aug 5, 2008
686 posts
176 upvotes
What type of receipts are you collecting. Could customers send you soft copies?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
[OP]
Aug 15, 2006
28 posts
1 upvote
junkmail2002 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 9:26 pm
What type of receipts are you collecting. Could customers send you soft copies?
A lot of them could be gas receipts, home depot, Canadian Tire, etc.... I don't want to ask them to scan them as they hired me so they don't have to worry about this type of thing.

I was hoping someone would know of a place that had some sort of drop off, pick up service. Like a UPS or Canada post outlet.
Aug 5, 2008
686 posts
176 upvotes
A PO box (in UPS store) could work for this.

I was thinking more about a shared Google photo account where they can just snap a photo of the receipt and you have access to it
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
[OP]
Aug 15, 2006
28 posts
1 upvote
junkmail2002 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 9:06 pm
A PO box (in UPS store) could work for this.

I was thinking more about a shared Google photo account where they can just snap a photo of the receipt and you have access to it
That's not a bad idea. Would give me access to the documents and create backups at the same time!
Aug 5, 2008
686 posts
176 upvotes
Exactly. And you can use "Albums" to sort incoming payables/receipts into categories or at least monthly folders (plus they'd have a date).
Oct 20, 2018
6 posts
7 upvotes
Europe
Cloud-based solutions are convenient as mentioned before. It would be easy for your clients to take pictures and the access is easy on both sides. You also don't have to worry about lost documents. Not sure if Google is the right place in terms of data safety.
Support Team @MyHub
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4993 posts
257 upvotes
Markham
perhaps you might want to use one of those automation apps...receiptbank comes to mind...client uploads pic, and then you categorize it etc...and ti gets automatically posted to quickbooks (i believe there is also functionality to post it into quicbooks online via some mechanism).

However, you probably get pushback at clients spending time taking pics of all there receipts
Mar 28, 2012
324 posts
78 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa
Set them up with a Scansnap or Neat set to save to a dropbox or onedrive, etc... or internal FTP folder if they have IT capability to allow you restricted access to it. They can just gather a batch and feed in a stack of a dozen at a time. Much faster than taking pics, and if you use the OCR and sorting capabilities, you can quickly scrutinize for accuracy, make few corrections, and just import the files into your accounting program!
I am open! Let's get on with the hacking - I assume it vibrates?
Ref: Dazz
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12492 posts
1132 upvotes
Mississauga
Still relying on customers being 'digital friendly'..

I think old school PO box might be good. Or a regular messenger service