• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2018 4:23 pm
[OP]
Mar 14, 2010
67 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal

Looking for a tailor to do men's suit alterations

Can somebody recommend a good tailor in the Toronto-Mississauga-Hamilton-Markham region? (I'm willing to travel).

I'm looking to get some alterations done on several suits (men's). I'm largely focused on getting the jackets done right.

The alterations could include taking in the sides, shortening the length of the jacket and adjusting the shoulders.

Thank you!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3880 posts
5322 upvotes
Ontario
The better retail stores have their own in-house tailors for custom suits or alterations for their off the rack clothing.
You probably should look at your area BIA listings to see which independent tailors have storefronts you can visit.

I know GotStyle has a tailor making custom suits but am not certain he's open to altering other companies' suits. Page does not mention alterations. https://gotstylecustom.com/prices-and-promotions
Seeking shopping sprees or a pot of gold.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3880 posts
5322 upvotes
Ontario
changetomorrowtoday wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 10:13 pm
Can somebody recommend a good tailor in the Toronto-Mississauga-Hamilton-Markham region? (I'm willing to travel).

I'm looking to get some alterations done on several suits (men's). I'm largely focused on getting the jackets done right.

The alterations could include taking in the sides, shortening the length of the jacket and adjusting the shoulders.

Thank you!
If you are in Montreal, which is very fashion oriented, you must have some great alteration options in that city!
Seeking shopping sprees or a pot of gold.
Nov 24, 2012
59 posts
14 upvotes
TORONTO
Take a look at Magic Tailor (downtown Toronto, opposite to Eaton Centre). I have been using their services for past few years and have had no complaints.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4606 posts
693 upvotes
God... still got people recommending magic tailor...
Jun 2, 2012
89 posts
56 upvotes
NORTH YORK
We got to Harry and Sal /Salstyle. They have location in Newmarket but also a second location in the Toronto area.

http://salstyle.com

They are actual tailors and we have had good results with their work.
Aug 15, 2018
20 posts
8 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote:
Aug 17th, 2018 9:21 am
God... still got people recommending magic tailor...
Well I used their services a few weeks too, to tailor a few pants and a jacket. Work was well done, quick and affordable. Not sure what's not to recommend here..

You can always find better for sure. And if I have a $3,000 suit I would probably have the money to pay a premium tailor too. But my suit is $500 and magic tailor did a great job so far for me.
Jun 2, 2012
89 posts
56 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I think it depends on the type of alterations required... hemming pants on a new suit can maybe be trusted to your run of the mill mall alterations place. Depending on the quality of the suit and how urgently you actually need it.

Taking in the waist, altering sleeves and etc, that needs a place that has a reputation to uphold. Magic tailor will always get people coming in because it is a known name.

I would note though, that even simple alterations can be screwed up... we took suit pants to a dry cleaner that had the full alterations setup (pro machines and etc) and we ended up with hand sewn hems. We took them to another alterations place, that seemed more professional and more focused on alterations and the hems were sewn unevenly and in certain spots the threads were visible on the outside of the pants. The third tailor finally managed to fix it. But it was quite ridiculous and time consuming.

We actually had one mall tailor tell me that since we picked up the pants after the pick up date on the receipt (which they selected), the 7 day satisfaction/warranty was expired. We hadn’t even taken the clothes out of the store yet and they wouldn’t stand behind their own work. If there was anything wrong with their work, they would actually charge us! Needless to say, they have since lost our business.

Anyways, I guess my point is.

You spent $500 on a suit, it may not be a $3000 suit, but that’s still $700 gross salary which even at $30 per hour took 20 plus hours to earn. Why take the risk that it will get ruined for maybe a $10 savings.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4606 posts
693 upvotes
Worse part with guys like that is they'll say they can do any alteration when they should've just advise you not to do the work because they want to make the money.

Had a horrible experience when they worked the shoulders which is basically the most difficult to alter. The jacket was basically ruined and worthless and had to be tossed away.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)