• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 12:19 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9605 posts
1269 upvotes
hamandcheese wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 10:55 am
Would you consider Prix Fixe menus and tasting menus the same? I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm just asking the question to understand the difference.
I don't think they are the same.

Usually price fix is a "value" 3-4 course meal where the items are usually from their regular menu. Tasting menus are specially designed by the chef and usually change frequently.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7480 posts
2693 upvotes
Markham
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 10:44 am
Perfect timing, I'm trying to find a place for my husband's bday and it's really between a great peking duck place (good value) or a tasting menu.
Peking duck vs tasting menu depends on number of people attending. If you have only two or even four, I think tasting menu is OK and not ideal for Peking Duck meal. If you have more people then Peking Duck is a good option.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9605 posts
1269 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 1:44 pm
Peking duck vs tasting menu depends on number of people attending. If you have only two or even four, I think tasting menu is OK and not ideal for Peking Duck meal. If you have more people then Peking Duck is a good option.
Just the two of us but my husband LOVES Peking Duck, like he can eat the whole damn thing and call it a day lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7480 posts
2693 upvotes
Markham
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 1:58 pm
Just the two of us but my husband LOVES Peking Duck, like he can eat the whole damn thing and call it a day lol
Yeah I know what you mean. That's why I make Peking Duck at home...I usually buy one duck leg (I prefer leg meat to whole duck) per person and make it at home. Duck wrappers can be bought frozen at Asian Grocers and the green onion etc is a no big deal.

Google Ken Hom Peking Duck and you'll see it's very easy eats. Make a boiling hot liquid and give that duck or duck leg a good shower, hang overnight and next day roast it off (I can do it in my toaster oven). Serve. Keep the bones and make a second course soup with vermicelli/napa cabbage.

Why don't you surprise him and make Peking Duck at home for him.

This is not a tasting menu recomendation but you could go to Lee Restaurant (Susur's place on King St). Order the Signature Singapore slaw and he has a Peking duck "riff" (Char Siu Duck Breast) on the menu. Add one other dish and you're done.

pm if you have questions about cooking duck because we're going off topic. ;-)

Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9605 posts
1269 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 2:19 pm
Yeah I know what you mean. That's why I make Peking Duck at home...I usually buy one duck leg (I prefer leg meat to whole duck) per person and make it at home. Duck wrappers can be bought frozen at Asian Grocers and the green onion etc is a no big deal.

Google Ken Hom Peking Duck and you'll see it's very easy eats. Make a boiling hot liquid and give that duck or duck leg a good shower, hang overnight and next day roast it off (I can do it in my toaster oven). Serve. Keep the bones and make a second course soup with vermicelli/napa cabbage.

Why don't you surprise him and make Peking Duck at home for him.

This is not a tasting menu recomendation but you could go to Lee Restaurant (Susur's place on King St). Order the Signature Singapore slaw and he has a Peking duck "riff" (Char Siu Duck Breast) on the menu. Add one other dish and you're done.

pm if you have questions about cooking duck because we're going off topic. ;-)
Thanks Ill check this out and PM if I think I may attempt it.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2492 posts
474 upvotes
hamandcheese wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 9:52 am
I see George has a 5, 7, and 10 course tasting menu. Would you recommend one? 10 courses sounds like a lot but not sure how big or small their portion sizes are.
I haven't been to George in years. I can't remember whether I had the 5 or 7. Definitely not 10. Back then the portions were reasonable. More than just one/two bites.
One thing with George is that if you're dining with a companion, they will make sure you have different items for each course. ie. with the seafood course, one person
will get fish and the other will get scallops.
Oct 30, 2018
29 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
This place doesn't offer a tasting menu, but I love going to Greta Soloman's. Their menu is always changing and everything is expertly prepared. Portion sizes are more tapas sized so you can order multiple items to try.
[OP]
Sep 12, 2012
660 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
I found some restaurants that offer tasting menus that I thought I would share.

Ruby Watchco - Chef Lynn Crawford's restaurant
Jabistro
Omaw
BOSK
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7480 posts
2693 upvotes
Markham
hamandcheese wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 10:05 am
I found some restaurants that offer tasting menus that I thought I would share.

Ruby Watchco - Chef Lynn Crawford's restaurant
Jabistro
Omaw
BOSK
I've been to Ruby Watchco before and I don't recall it being a tasting menu....it was a pre-set menu, supposedly dependent on what the chef finds at the market idea. Having said that I wasn't too happy with the meal I had on a Saturday when I went there. I recall paying $50 for my meal and the main protein was Chicken drumsticks. I don't think I've ever paid that much for Chicken Drumsticks which in my mind is the cheapest meat protein I know of. In fact not even sure I ever seen Chicken Drumsticks on any restaurant menu. This was a Saturday night! Chef Lynn wasn't even in the house that day.

[OP]
Sep 12, 2012
660 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 8:45 pm
I've been to Ruby Watchco before and I don't recall it being a tasting menu....it was a pre-set menu, supposedly dependent on what the chef finds at the market idea. Having said that I wasn't too happy with the meal I had on a Saturday when I went there. I recall paying $50 for my meal and the main protein was Chicken drumsticks. I don't think I've ever paid that much for Chicken Drumsticks which in my mind is the cheapest meat protein I know of. In fact not even sure I ever seen Chicken Drumsticks on any restaurant menu. This was a Saturday night! Chef Lynn wasn't even in the house that day.
Yes, it does look like Ruby Watchco offers a daily set menu as opposed to a tasting menu. I guess you can call it a prix fixe menu.