• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2009 3:54 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 17, 2003
521 posts
3 upvotes

Looking for tax preparer for dual US Canada tax returns

As title says, I'm looking for someone other than H&R Block to prepare my tax returns for both US & Canada, we hold dual citizenship taxes must be filed in both countries.

Have used H&R Block last year but they seemed expensive at over $500 and they also made numerous mistakes that had to be corrected.

Looking for a recommendation for a tax preparer that can complete the tax returns for both countries and hopefully at a decent cost, I've contacted a half dozen accountants in Toronto but none of them did US taxes.

Thanks.
3 replies
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
1625 posts
93 upvotes
iplom wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2009 12:47 pm
As title says, I'm looking for someone other than H&R Block to prepare my tax returns for both US & Canada, we hold dual citizenship taxes must be filed in both countries.

Have used H&R Block last year but they seemed expensive at over $500 and they also made numerous mistakes that had to be corrected.

Looking for a recommendation for a tax preparer that can complete the tax returns for both countries and hopefully at a decent cost, I've contacted a half dozen accountants in Toronto but none of them did US taxes.

Thanks.
$500 isn't that much for two returns. It depends how much stuff you have to file. If it is simple, then you can just buy TurboTax and file it with that. Otherwise, you can try contacting medium size firms and they will be able to do it for you in most cases. I know mine does anyways.
Aug 31, 2006
41 posts
br0pbr0p wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2009 1:05 pm
$500 isn't that much for two returns. It depends how much stuff you have to file. If it is simple, then you can just buy TurboTax and file it with that. Otherwise, you can try contacting medium size firms and they will be able to do it for you in most cases. I know mine does anyways.
I agree with br0pbr0p. Look at yourself as tax preparer if there is nothing fancy tax things going on. I know someone paid in excess of thousand for US and Canada tax return and I did it myself. Believe me it is easy to file tax return in most cases and you can always refer last years returns.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1599 posts
114 upvotes
iplom wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2009 12:47 pm

Thanks.
If you are in Toronto or GTA, you can contact me as my friend who is a CA does all types of US and Canadian returns and would charge you very geneuine rates.

Pramod Chopra
Mortgage Alliance Co. of Canada
Broker License # 10530
× < >