Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 14, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton, AB

Looking: Unlimited Talk & Text

I'm looking for cheap call and text plan. Currently looking at the freedom mobile $25 unlimited Canada wide and text. I have the Rogers $120 per year but useless for me over the summer. Anything better than what's here will be fine. I don't talk much or text. Maybe 100-200 minutes per months.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2010
1270 posts
415 upvotes
Toronto
anjesh wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 11:27 am
I'm looking for cheap call and text plan. Currently looking at the freedom mobile $25 unlimited Canada wide and text. I have the Rogers $120 per year but useless for me over the summer. Anything better than what's here will be fine. I don't talk much or text. Maybe 100-200 minutes per months.
https://mobility.petro-canada.ca/specia ... eSupport=1

$15 a month for unlimited text. Talk is 100min
I love Witcher 3!!
[OP]
Jul 14, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton, AB
Where can I get a sim for petrol Canada? Only only or can I get one from a store?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
anjesh wrote:
200 min talk puts you out of the market of prepaid.
You should consider Chatr $35 unlimited Canada talk and text plan
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Another workaround is to separate the text and call function.
You actually talk a lot on average given the indication above (100-200 min). Get the $20 Chatr unlimited local zone call. You still get free incoming text from that plan.
When you are in Wifi zone, then use other free text program like Textme, Textnow, Fongo to text back. Not quite ideal as you will be texting back with a different #
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Oct 15, 2016
82 posts
17 upvotes
anjesh wrote:
You want unlimited talk & text for less than $25/mo? Not happening!

The only thing I can suggest is Public Mobile's $75/3 months -- same price as Freedom, but you're on a much better network.
Koodo & Public Mobile Customer.
Mar 22, 2013
896 posts
201 upvotes
Markham
Get a data only plan and use fongo.
====================================

Samsung S8+ (Black)

Koodo Mobile
$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan

Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
myinglin0318 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 11:07 am
Get a data only plan and use fongo.
Agreed. In general that is correct. But the OP asked for unlimited talk/text plan . And I assume that he/she does not need data
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
[OP]
Jul 14, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton, AB
danieltoronto wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 11:28 am
Agreed. In general that is correct. But the OP asked for unlimited talk/text plan . And I assume that he/she does not need data
Data is not required at all. I live in Edmonton. I was looking at the fido 3gb for $15 but didn't want to switch numbers.

Going for the $15 text a lot plan from petro Canada. Planning to use more WiFi calling so I don't go over the 100 minutes
Mar 22, 2013
896 posts
201 upvotes
Markham
anjesh wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 7:10 pm
Data is not required at all. I live in Edmonton. I was looking at the fido 3gb for $15 but didn't want to switch numbers.

Going for the $15 text a lot plan from petro Canada. Planning to use more WiFi calling so I don't go over the 100 minutes
But for $15 a month you get 3gb and you can Port your current number to fongo for a one time fee. Calls are free as long as you have data whether it's data or wi-fi. I don't get why you would go with petro.

Samsung S8+ (Black)

Koodo Mobile
$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan

Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1178 posts
291 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
myinglin0318 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 11:28 pm
But for $15 a month you get 3gb and you can Port your current number to fongo for a one time fee. Calls are free as long as you have data whether it's data or wi-fi. I don't get why you would go with petro.
For the most part agreed.

I don't think Fongo will work for SMS validation with certain apps like WhatsApp (but I think WhatsApp also does calling validation so should be OK). If you need to pass SMS validation with a certain app to work with your phone number then the Fongo trick won't cut it (I think only app that won't work is Telegram).

Fongo one-time port fee of $25, then $15 per month for Fido data plan (and a couple bucks per month to Fongo for SMS) is very cost-effective. In fact, at that rate, you could even justify buying fancy devices outright at exhorbant price-tags, or just do the Koodo trick and get good phones at decent discounts.

I find Fongo's call quality on wifi to be tricky, but on LTE it's solid. Still, if the LTE data is used exclusively for Fongo calls, that's 30 hours or 1800 minutes per month (obviously no unlimited evenings / weekends but still), certainly sufficient for a light to moderate user.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Jul 14, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton, AB
i feel i got a really nice offer from rogers, prepaid. $20 per month. unlimited weekends and evening, 100 minutes per month. unlimited texting. i will turn off voicemail. This will suit my need quite well. since long calls will be during the evening. also i am getting a fido sim for the 3gb/$15 data plan. just for having some data.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 11:04 am
I don't think Fongo will work for SMS validation with certain apps like WhatsApp (but I think WhatsApp also does calling validation so should be OK). If you need to pass SMS validation with a certain app to work with your phone number then the Fongo trick won't cut it (I think only app that won't work is Telegram).

Fongo one-time port fee of $25, then $15 per month for Fido data plan (and a couple bucks per month to Fongo for SMS) is very cost-effective. In fact, at that rate, you could even justify buying fancy devices outright at exhorbant price-tags, or just do the Koodo trick and get good phones at decent discounts.
Huh...Why do you bother with using Fongo for SMS verification?
You can use the Fido $15 for it. You do that once at 25 cents. Big deal. .
Another catch you have to be careful. People call your whatsapp # expecting that you are using that cell #. Afterwards, use the silence ring tone for the Fido data line because you do not want the phone to ring causing you money to answer. But you will see that there is missed call and you can call back accordingly
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan