None
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
282 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 6:50 am
Huh...Why do you bother with using Fongo for SMS verification?
You can use the Fido $15 for it. You do that once at 25 cents. Big deal. .
Another catch you have to be careful. People call your whatsapp # expecting that you are using that cell #. Afterwards, use the silence ring tone for the Fido data line because you do not want the phone to ring causing you money to answer. But you will see that there is missed call and you can call back accordingly
I do understand that Fido's data plan will work for sms validation. But most people want to use the number they give out for phone calls to be their WhatsApp number. WhatsApp might work via phone call validation to a Fongo number (not 100% sure), but from experience, Telegram will not.

I guess if you need cellular voice for sms validation and calls, then a dual sim with Petro Canada or 711 prepaid might do the trick.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24418 posts
2450 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
anjesh wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 1:43 am
i feel i got a really nice offer from rogers, prepaid. $20 per month. unlimited weekends and evening, 100 minutes per month. unlimited texting. i will turn off voicemail. This will suit my need quite well. since long calls will be during the evening. also i am getting a fido sim for the 3gb/$15 data plan. just for having some data.
You are at $35 per month now. For that, you could have gone to Zoomer or Public Mobile and received unlimited talk and SMS with data
Mar 22, 2013
895 posts
201 upvotes
Markham
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 11:04 am
For the most part agreed.

I don't think Fongo will work for SMS validation with certain apps like WhatsApp (but I think WhatsApp also does calling validation so should be OK). If you need to pass SMS validation with a certain app to work with your phone number then the Fongo trick won't cut it (I think only app that won't work is Telegram).

Fongo one-time port fee of $25, then $15 per month for Fido data plan (and a couple bucks per month to Fongo for SMS) is very cost-effective. In fact, at that rate, you could even justify buying fancy devices outright at exhorbant price-tags, or just do the Koodo trick and get good phones at decent discounts.

I find Fongo's call quality on wifi to be tricky, but on LTE it's solid. Still, if the LTE data is used exclusively for Fongo calls, that's 30 hours or 1800 minutes per month (obviously no unlimited evenings / weekends but still), certainly sufficient for a light to moderate user.
I have gotten WhatsApp to text me verification code to my Fongo from a non short code number. But sure about others like Facebook and Google etc.
====================================

Samsung S8+ (Black)

Koodo Mobile
$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan

====================================
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3955 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 7:51 am
I do understand that Fido's data plan will work for sms validation. But most people want to use the number they give out for phone calls to be their WhatsApp number. WhatsApp might work via phone call validation to a Fongo number (not 100% sure), but from experience, Telegram will not.

I guess if you need cellular voice for sms validation and calls, then a dual sim with Petro Canada or 711 prepaid might do the trick.
There is a free solution to resolve the issue.
The app "Textme" provides a free local Canadian #, free incoming call and text. Outgoing call costs 2 cents/min.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
282 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 11:33 am
The app "Textme" provides a free local Canadian #, free incoming call and text. Outgoing call costs 2 cents/min.
I agree that VOIP options like Textme and Fongo are cheaper than maintaining a Chatr or gas station pre-paid sim, but some people want to use the number they give out with apps such as WhatsApp/facebook/Telegram/etc.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Jan 11, 2012
30 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 11:33 am
Hey Daniel, how did u get the "$20 unlimited Can call"?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3955 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
chenyia11 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 4:21 pm
Hey Daniel, how did u get the "$20 unlimited Can call"?
I had Chatr $20 unlimited local call. Got text from Chatr that Fido gave me the same deal plus 100 sms. I went for it. And Fido has no zone call set up at all. Anyway my plan now states it is " Unlimited CanadaWide Minutes " . Very weird circumstances and pleasant surprise
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
[OP]
Jul 14, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton, AB
where did you get this? just at fido stores?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
282 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
anjesh wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 3:43 pm
It appears that this was a personalized offer to @danieltoronto for his Chatr account. Looks like Robbers prefers to get their Chatr customers on Fido (just like TELUS prefers to get their Public customers on Koodo), since the prepaid brands don't offer phone subsidy plans nor the possibility of incurring overage fees.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3955 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
anjesh wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 3:43 pm
No. That took a while (like around total 40 min on and off with their customer service wherever it is). I needed to order on the phone the SIM card by mail and set up an account before getting the plan. I was their tablet data client in good standing. I made sure that the two sims are separate under one account. The plan is not even listed in their site at all.
I guess that they are to boot me out in due course LOL
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Jan 11, 2012
30 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
man, that's a sick plan. I also have the tablet data plan, and I am wondering if they will have the chatr to fido offer back.
What exactly do you have to say to them to get that plan?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3955 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
chenyia11 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 9:57 pm
man, that's a sick plan. I also have the tablet data plan, and I am wondering if they will have the chatr to fido offer back.
What exactly do you have to say to them to get that plan?
I did nothing. The text came.
This was offered Oct 17 from Chatr
chatr info: We are always looking out for you, including sharing deals you may be interested in. You can switch to our friends over at Fido and for just $30/month you can get 300 Canada-wide minutes, unlimited evening & weekend calling, plus 300MB of data. Available when you call 1-888-945-3436. Exclusive offer for 647-xxx xxxx ends Oct. 31, 2016. Reply STOP to opt-out of chatr msgs. Reach us at chatrmobile.com/contactus.
I did not take it. But looking back this was not bad.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3955 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
How much does $30 a month going to Fido will get you now? It is nowhere near the Chatr offers : " 300 Canada wide minutes + weekend/Evening free + 300 MB".
Oh there is another issue too. They (Fido and Chatr) had my profile . If I am correct, they figure it out that I do not fit the profile of a typical Chatr client. If they send offer to 1000 of them and 300 end up getting those pricey hardware upgrade deal, then their strategists win handsdown.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
May 8, 2007
702 posts
137 upvotes
Recently I got Fido to upgrade my ancient $25 talk and text plan (which had a small amount of daytime talk and unlimited after 5pm) to unlimited Canada wide $25. I'm 10 year Fido user and normally use minimal monthly talk and text and no data, most long calls have been in my unlimited evening period.

Public Mobile has a similar T&T plan but today is the last day you can sign up, they are provincial-only for talk. I used the P.M. plan as a negotiation point with Fido (I have a PM simcard and unlocked phone so I could switch easily if necessary).

Usually I only do a few minutes of daytime talk and a few texts monthly but recently I'm making long daytime calls. So now I don't need to worry about exceeding my talk-time limit.
Jan 11, 2012
30 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 8:36 am
How much does $30 a month going to Fido will get you now? It is nowhere near the Chatr offers : " 300 Canada wide minutes + weekend/Evening free + 300 MB".
Oh there is another issue too. They (Fido and Chatr) had my profile . If I am correct, they figure it out that I do not fit the profile of a typical Chatr client. If they send offer to 1000 of them and 300 end up getting those pricey hardware upgrade deal, then their strategists win handsdown.
I see. I am wondering if I should switch to Chatr now and wait for them to msg me the promo. I want that $20 plan.